• Oils (olive, coconut, etc)

Hope this helps :)

You're welcome :)
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    buket1819 wrote: »
    bpetrosky wrote: »
    Go through the setup on MFP: My Home/Settings -> Setup Diet/Fitness Profile.

Enter your stats accurately. You are in a position to select 2lbs/wk loss, which will give you a 1000 calorie/day deficit.

1910 is what mfp is showing me now

Then you should eat that, maybe a bit more if you find yourself being hungry/tired.

1900 sounds right.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Are you using scooby's? Sometimes I have glitches on that site. I have to input the data twice.

yes

Have you had your BF% tested professionally with a DEXA scan or a water displacement test? Inputting your BF into Scoobys calculator can mess up the numbers. If you're not 100% sure of correctness of that number, I wouldn't use it. If you are sure, I find using the Katch McArdle method to be closer to my true TDEE.
  • shawnmstout
    shawnmstout Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    buket1819 wrote: »
    Go through the setup on MFP: My Home/Settings -> Setup Diet/Fitness Profile.

Enter your stats accurately. You are in a position to select 2lbs/wk loss, which will give you a 1000 calorie/day deficit.

1910 is what mfp is showing me now

Then you should eat that, maybe a bit more if you find yourself being hungry/tired.

1900 sounds right.

i guess that is the problem, my appetite has went so low now that i dont each much each day, i need to increase it. Not sure why I feel this way
  • shawnmstout
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Are you using scooby's? Sometimes I have glitches on that site. I have to input the data twice.

yes

Have you had your BF% tested professionally with a DEXA scan or a water displacement test? Inputting your BF into Scoobys calculator can mess up the numbers. If you're not 100% sure of correctness of that number, I wouldn't use it. If you are sure, I find using the Katch McArdle method to be closer to my true TDEE.

yeah my bf % is all over the place and i agree isnt very accurate. I use my withings smart scale (which is all over the place) and for more accurate weekly readings i have been using the omron fat loss monitor HBF-306C. I will try the catch mcardle and see what comes up <-- i misread and went back to mifflin-st jeor
  • shawnmstout
    Options

yes

yeah my bf % is all over the place and i agree isnt very accurate. I use my withings smart scale (which is all over the place) and for more accurate weekly readings i have been using the omron fat loss monitor HBF-306C. I will try the catch mcardle and see what comes up

with leaving the bf% out here are my results

BMR 2331
    TDEE 2798
    Daily calories 2238

I wanted to mention that mfp calculates for 2lbs a week to be 1900 calories
  • coreytikkitavi
    coreytikkitavi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Enter Calibration Factor 1200 calories/day

You're telling the calculator to add an extra 1200 calories.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Ok, the numbers are starting to line up better, I think.

If you set MFP to 2 lbs/wk, it takes your estimated NEAT calculation and subtracts 1000/day. NEAT falls between BMR and TDEE since it doesn't include exercise. In your case it is landing at about 1900.

Scooby's goes from another direction: TDEE - 20%, so 2798 - 559.6 = 2238.4.

Either method is valid: It is most important that you are in a deficit but not so deep you lose too much muscle mass.

So now you have a baseline to work against. Next is your plan to accurately determine how much you eat. If you've read the links I gave you earlier, you can start to work on that part of it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Rip the bandage off and just eat them. You'll probably notice a few pounds gain, as your body adjusts, but that should only be for about a week.

This.

@shawnmstout, I just replied in the tea thread where you said your weight is dropping off severely, and I'm glad to see you started this one asking for help. All you can do is just start eating. You want to eat more than your BMR and less than your TDEE to lose weight. You will lose it slower, but that's okay.

I suggest weighing your food, logging your calorie intake and output (exercise) and taking it from there. That way, you will know how many calories you really are eating and will be able to adjust accordingly.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give one more link. I had to get rid of a lot of misconceptions about losing weight before I could do it successfully, and I had a lot of failed attempts. Give it a read and you might find you're dealing with some of the same misinformation I dealt with.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10183824/things-i-had-to-unlearn-about-losing-weight
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

yes

yeah my bf % is all over the place and i agree isnt very accurate. I use my withings smart scale (which is all over the place) and for more accurate weekly readings i have been using the omron fat loss monitor HBF-306C. I will try the catch mcardle and see what comes up

BMR 2331
    TDEE 2798
    Daily calories 2238

Shawn, you have lost 40 pounds, which in incredible! Congratulations on that!

With 90 to go, your settings are just right at a deficit to lose 2 pounds a week. Don't forget to let MFP adjust your calorie intake with every ten pounds you lose. As we get smaller, our calorie intake decreases as well because we don't needs as many calories to function. Once you've lost your weight, you adjust your calories to maintenance. I was surprised that my maintenance as an active 53 year old woman is 1960, plus my exercise calories, but it is because I've been maintaining for a year and a half now.

• funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hi Shawn, I started at about your weight now. I'm down 110. Feel free to friend me and PM me. I like the way this thread is heading. 1900 is about the right number for you.

We get to this point when we're starting that we have learned tight control. Quite truthfully, we get satisfied on the "diet food" and it's hard for us to grasp that it could mean that we're eating too little. But the math doesn't lie. Get up to that 1900 level. For years we knew no control, now we know tight control, but the thing that will sustain us -- keep the weight off and have a great life -- is the moderation we keep hearing so much about. That's what these extra calories are good for -- moderation. Learning our forever habits.

Don't make your diet too different from your normal food -- you are still you and you like what you like, and probably 50% of what you were doing was just fine. So let's fine tune the other 50% to make that work too.

If I can help, give me a PM -- I don't do these forums very often, but I'm happy to advise.

Robb (from 298 to 190s and maintaining)
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

yes

BMR 2331
    TDEE 2798
    Daily calories 2238

Shawn, you have lost 40 pounds, which in incredible! Congratulations on that!

With 90 to go, your settings are just right at a deficit to lose 2 pounds a week. Don't forget to let MFP adjust your calorie intake with every ten pounds you lose. As we get smaller, our calorie intake decreases as well because we don't needs as many calories to function. Once you've lost your weight, you adjust your calories to maintenance. I was surprised that my maintenance as an active 53 year old woman is 1960, plus my exercise calories, but it is because I've been maintaining for a year and a half now.

thanks :) i remember it asking me if i wanted it to recalculate and i choose no, how can i force this to happen now?
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    Hi Shawn, I started at about your weight now. I'm down 110. Feel free to friend me and PM me. I like the way this thread is heading. 1900 is about the right number for you.

We get to this point when we're starting that we have learned tight control. Quite truthfully, we get satisfied on the "diet food" and it's hard for us to grasp that it could mean that we're eating too little. But the math doesn't lie. Get up to that 1900 level. For years we knew no control, now we know tight control, but the thing that will sustain us -- keep the weight off and have a great life -- is the moderation we keep hearing so much about. That's what these extra calories are good for -- moderation. Learning our forever habits.

Don't make your diet too different from your normal food -- you are still you and you like what you like, and probably 50% of what you were doing was just fine. So let's fine tune the other 50% to make that work too.

If I can help, give me a PM -- I don't do these forums very often, but I'm happy to advise.

thanks man... it is wierd that I have no appetite but such a strong appetite before. Now i am finding it hard to eat a lot. I am trying to make healthier choices but i get full really quickly where its hard to eat more.

Like today, i ate a protein bar for breakfast, had 2 large eggs, 6 slices of canadian bacon and 1/2 cup of almonds and i feel like i am about to burst. I dont want to eat unhealthy, but its hard to eat healthy and a ton of calories as well. Atleast that is what i am finding today. Maybe it was because i was on such a low calorie for so long that now my appetite has to get back up there. I am trying though, i have had 819 calories so far today with breakfast and lunch.
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    I'm going to give one more link. I had to get rid of a lot of misconceptions about losing weight before I could do it successfully, and I had a lot of failed attempts. Give it a read and you might find you're dealing with some of the same misinformation I dealt with.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10183824/things-i-had-to-unlearn-about-losing-weight

thanks, i will check it out
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    funchords wrote: »

post-55540-I-like-you-gif-Imgur-Tumblr-NP-d9Pf.gif

That is some amazing advice right there.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I agree with going with MFP's 1900 suggestion. Even if it's slightly below your BMR, that should be fine since you have a lot of weight to lose. You should check with your doctor to confirm.

To recalculate manually, MFP home page on website > goals > guided > make sure everything is how you want it / correct > update profile.
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    I agree with going with MFP's 1900 suggestion. Even if it's slightly below your BMR, that should be fine since you have a lot of weight to lose. You should check with your doctor to confirm.

To recalculate manually, MFP home page on website > goals > guided > make sure everything is how you want it / correct > update profile.

Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,910 Calories / Day
    Carbs / Day 239.0 g
    Fat / Day 64.0 g
    Protein / Day 96.0 g
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    @shawnmstout I just had to say I think you rock ...you listened to our concerns, you read and understood what was said and you're acting on new, and valid, information

You've got this (ignore the scale for a couple of weeks cos of fluctuations) ..you've so got this and I look forward to your success
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    @shawnmstout I just had to say I think you rock ...you listened to our concerns, you read and understood what was said and you're acting on new, and valid, information

You've got this (ignore the scale for a couple of weeks cos of fluctuations) ..you've so got this and I look forward to your success

thanks, question that hasnt been addressed yet is, since my appetite is very minimal right now, is that due to not have many calories? i want to start eating more but i am so full right now it is hard. i also dont want to overdue it either. do you think it is wiser to slowly introduce more calories say of a 7 day period?