VLDC and advice on how to go back to a 2700 calorie diet

Options

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    @shawnmstout I just had to say I think you rock ...you listened to our concerns, you read and understood what was said and you're acting on new, and valid, information

You've got this (ignore the scale for a couple of weeks cos of fluctuations) ..you've so got this and I look forward to your success

thanks, question that hasnt been addressed yet is, since my appetite is very minimal right now, is that due to not have many calories? i want to start eating more but i am so full right now it is hard. i also dont want to overdue it either. do you think it is wiser to slowly introduce more calories say of a 7 day period?

Up to you ...you're in control..,it won't make that much of a difference and if it makes it easier on you and you're increasing steadily, a week is fine

But I'm sure an ice cream or beer (or whatever food you enjoy), judiciously counted could help

80% nutritious to hit your macros and micro-nutrients leaves room for 'treats', or as I like to call them...food ;)
  • shawnmstout
    shawnmstout Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    how do you guys measure salads? since there is so much different stuff in it, it makes it hard to measure it accurately
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    how do you guys measure salads? since there is so much different stuff in it, it makes it hard to measure it accurately

Measure each ingredient before you add it.
  • shawnmstout
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @shawnmstout I just had to say I think you rock ...you listened to our concerns, you read and understood what was said and you're acting on new, and valid, information

You've got this (ignore the scale for a couple of weeks cos of fluctuations) ..you've so got this and I look forward to your success

thanks, question that hasnt been addressed yet is, since my appetite is very minimal right now, is that due to not have many calories? i want to start eating more but i am so full right now it is hard. i also dont want to overdue it either. do you think it is wiser to slowly introduce more calories say of a 7 day period?

Up to you ...you're in control..,it won't make that much of a difference and if it makes it easier on you and you're increasing steadily, a week is fine

But I'm sure an ice cream or beer (or whatever food you enjoy), judiciously counted could help

80% nutritious to hit your macros and micro-nutrients leaves room for 'treats', or as I like to call them...food ;)

Funchords said it correctly when he made this statement "We get to this point when we're starting that we have learned tight control. Quite truthfully, we get satisfied on the "diet food" and it's hard for us to grasp that it could mean that we're eating too little" that is exactly how i feel at the moment. It is very easy to go overboard with calorie counting.

i am so afraid to blow up my diet that i am weary of anything that is real "food" as you said.
  • shawnmstout
    Options

We usually fix a large salad bowl and eat off of it for a few days though, cant really separate the ingredients afterwards
  • Sued0nim
    Options

We usually fix a large salad bowl and eat off of it for a few days though, cant really separate the ingredients afterwards

You don't need to

Recipe builder

Weigh all ingredients individually

Weigh the total finished dish

Divide by the number of 100g portions and make that 1 serving

Then If you eat 300g you put in 3 servings, If you eat 50g you put in 0.5 serving

Works for every food you make

And it stays in your recipes so easy to edit (in the app) next time you make it
  • Sued0nim
    Options

Funchords said it correctly when he made this statement "We get to this point when we're starting that we have learned tight control. Quite truthfully, we get satisfied on the "diet food" and it's hard for us to grasp that it could mean that we're eating too little" that is exactly how i feel at the moment. It is very easy to go overboard with calorie counting.

i am so afraid to blow up my diet that i am weary of anything that is real "food" as you said.

Understandable

But you will get there when you want to

Work up to getting the calories right ...the rest will come in time
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Also for you when you want to easy add some calories, look fout for yummie and different kinda salad oils and dressings
    Sesame oil/olive oil/blue cheese dressings etc
    A spoons i quickly 170 calories..EACH
    So when you are not a volume eater ( much food) go to the more dense foods to get your calories.

I am a volume eater so i go to "skinny" foods to get more food. For you when you have trouble to get enough calories go to non skim milk but full... Things like that.
    And remember you can eat everything!

You can lose weight on how you ate before but you have to control your portions by weighing all your food.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

When I make a salad for my own lunch or dinner, I weigh each thing separately as I add ingredients.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Are you using scooby's? Sometimes I have glitches on that site. I have to input the data twice.

yes

Have you had your BF% tested professionally with a DEXA scan or a water displacement test? Inputting your BF into Scoobys calculator can mess up the numbers. If you're not 100% sure of correctness of that number, I wouldn't use it. If you are sure, I find using the Katch McArdle method to be closer to my true TDEE.

yeah my bf % is all over the place and i agree isnt very accurate. I use my withings smart scale (which is all over the place) and for more accurate weekly readings i have been using the omron fat loss monitor HBF-306C. I will try the catch mcardle and see what comes up

with leaving the bf% out here are my results

BMR 2331
    TDEE 2798
    Daily calories 2238

I wanted to mention that mfp calculates for 2lbs a week to be 1900 calories

Shawn, you have lost 40 pounds, which in incredible! Congratulations on that!

With 90 to go, your settings are just right at a deficit to lose 2 pounds a week. Don't forget to let MFP adjust your calorie intake with every ten pounds you lose. As we get smaller, our calorie intake decreases as well because we don't needs as many calories to function. Once you've lost your weight, you adjust your calories to maintenance. I was surprised that my maintenance as an active 53 year old woman is 1960, plus my exercise calories, but it is because I've been maintaining for a year and a half now.

thanks :) i remember it asking me if i wanted it to recalculate and i choose no, how can i force this to happen now?

Be sure to enter your weight while losing, and then (if I recall correctly) MFP prompts you every ten pounds you lose. If this is not correct, someone will correct me.:)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    buket1819 wrote: »
    What is your TDEE?

That's pretty unlikely. If you're using an online calculator, you need to use one that accounts for body composition.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    boy that seems high, my bmr is 3531. i thought it was 10x your weight?

OMG, no.

At 350lbs you're somewhere around 55% body fat. Your BMR is going to be around 2000, and your sedentary TDEE around 2400.
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    i ate 1518 calories so far today and i feel so full right now, holy crap
  • shawnmstout
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

OMG, no.

At 350lbs you're somewhere around 55% body fat. Your BMR is going to be around 2000, and your sedentary TDEE around 2400.

yeah there was some wrong calculations, i straightened it out

also i reset myfitnesspal to go off of the 2lbs per week

now it is saying 1900cal/day
  • BWBTrish
    Options

Now i am going to say some very unpopular or to same rude and mean

But how did you become overweight...what did you eat?
    How can you now be full on 1500 you had to eat a lot more as a man than 1500 to become overweight.

and dont get me wrong i am not attacking you at all. I was overweight too ( still am but i lost 96 pounds) because i ate much more than i burned.

• Mr_Knight
    Options

OMG, no.

yeah there was some wrong calculations, i straightened it out

also i reset myfitnesspal to go off of the 2lbs per week

now it is saying 1900cal/day

Much better! Good luck! :drinker:
  • shawnmstout
    Options

Now i am going to say some very unpopular or to same rude and mean

But how did you become overweight...what did you eat?
    How can you now be full on 1500 you had to eat a lot more as a man than 1500 to become overweight.

and dont get me wrong i am not attacking you at all. I was overweight too ( still am but i lost 96 pounds) because i ate much more than i burned.

no, i am not taking it that way, it is a very valid question i think. i had a high paying job and went out to eat for lunch and dinner almost every day of the week for 4 years. On top of that, i have a deskjob (computer programmer) so there was nothing that was taking the calories away. As well as when i went out to eat i was eating for the taste and never caring about the calories or what i was eating.

I know what i did wrong and i am now not only trying to change that but alter my life completely. i even walk every once in a while when i can. i drive a long distance everyday to go back and forth to work so that plays into this part as well.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    So like i said in the other thread...keep it simple eat whatever you want, mix your healthy options into it. But just count your calories by weighing everything!
    And can hit your calorie allowance instead of under eating.
    :)

Dont make it a hard journey for your self It dont have to be that way. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    So like i said in the other thread...keep it simple eat whatever you want, mix your healthy options into it. But just count your calories by weighing everything!

Keeping in mind that works for some people, while other people need to restrict what foods they eat or have around.

There is no one path - you'll have to find what works best for *you*.
  • shawnmstout
    Options

Keeping in mind that works for some people, while other people need to restrict what foods they eat or have around.

There is no one path - you'll have to find what works best for *you*.

I find myself if it is around me or suggested to me then i will go for it. i dont know why i do that but i see that tendency in me.

i eat out very rarely now and that seems to help. i have more control if i dont have the stuff around me.