Now that you weigh your food

Options
natalialikescookies
natalialikescookies Posts: 72 Member
edited June 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
what were some of the biggest serving size surprises? Both small and big?

I was making a smoothie for my son and decided to weigh the dallop of peanut butter just for fun ( I don't eat pb because I don't have self control when it comes to it), thinking I had about 2tbs, when I really had over 4!!! Holy smokes!
Also, cheese! I was grating cheese for my salad and that ounce came really fast!

What were some of your biggest surprises??

Edited for typos

Replies

• panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My yogurt is almost always less then what the package says, good for calories but sometimes I'm like "hey, I paid for 150g" haha
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    cereal in a bad way.

cottage cheese in a good way.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    When I tracked for the very first time (about a million years ago), I thought 1350 calories was soooo much food. I mean, I spent the whole day grazing on potato chips and candy like I always did, and still had room for two solid meals!

It was quite the shock when those packs of junk food ran out in a day or two, and I realized that what I had logged as 4-5 servings was more like 11-15. I honestly believed I was being generous with my estimates, so that's when I figured out that I needed a food scale.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    What shocks me the most is that I didn't gain more weight.

If you accept the generally accepted numbers for calories and pounds, I should've gained a lot more than I did.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I get way more peanut butter and shredded cheese per serving by weighing than I ever got from my guesstimates. I must be a pessimist by nature.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Cheese :(
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Another vote for cheese yet the amount of veggies and watermelon I can eat. Lol
  • Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Another cheese person here. Shocking.

Cereal too.

I'm thinking about getting a travel food scale. When I visit my mom I won't have to eyeball things. My husband can use the regular scale while I'm gone.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i vote for more cheese, ice cream and ....and...oh who am i kidding
    I want more of everything!
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Another vote for cheese yet the amount of veggies and watermelon I can eat. Lol
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Let's just say that MFP and I have very different ideas about what qualifies as a "medium" sweet potato.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and cereal :( lol
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I actually got to eat more when I got a food scale. Food pessimist here too.
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Once I started weighing, I found that an oz of cheese was more than I expected, but I was literally shaving it paper thin, so that's probably why. I'm shocked by how little pasta is in a serving, even though I'm use to it now, it still seems so small!

Oh, and apples are heavier than they look! To me, anyways.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I don't think I was too surprised by anything because I had already been reading about that stuff on here first. I think actually SEEING the peanut butter on the scale was quite depressing though.
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    28 g of bleu cheese crumbles is actually a decent amount of bleu cheese. and I have discovered that I love bleu cheese. Oh and feta crumbles too.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Vegetables/chicken/fish had all been consistently under-eyeballed by me. Same with cottage cheese and berries. I learned a "small banana" is a ridiculous idea, because I've had bananas of the same length weigh in very differently. I also learned that I was eating small/half servings of shredded cheese and butter all along.

I was surprised at how little hummus you get for 28 grams. Trail mix is depressing. Tortilla chips--a serving of potato chips is a fairly large amount of food to me, but there are never enough tortilla chips to make it worth my while. Eggs are never 75 calories--always more. Same with most packaged goods.

I also learned that I am really, really good at sticking my knife in a jar of peanut butter and coming out with a half-serving. And I'm good at slicing one ounce of cheese.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Vegetables/chicken/fish had all been consistently under-eyeballed by me. Same with cottage cheese and berries. I learned a "small banana" is a ridiculous idea, because I've had bananas of the same length weigh in very differently. I also learned that I was eating small/half servings of shredded cheese and butter all along.

I was surprised at how little hummus you get for 28 grams. Trail mix is depressing. Tortilla chips--a serving of potato chips is a fairly large amount of food to me, but there are never enough tortilla chips to make it worth my while. Eggs are never 75 calories--always more. Same with most packaged goods.

I also learned that I am really, really good at sticking my knife in a jar of peanut butter and coming out with a half-serving. And I'm good at slicing one ounce of cheese.

You find your eggs to be weighing more than 50 grams quite often?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    pasta (way more) peanut butter (way less)
  • hollbert90
    hollbert90 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    A bowl of cereal always looks disappointingly small when I weigh it. Also, another vote for cheese.