Now that you weigh your food

Options

Replies

• Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Yes, I should have also mentioned peanut butter in my reply. I discovered that I was using way more pb than the serving size. However, I've also discovered that I don't *need* that extra pb in the same way that I *need* that cereal in my bowl. I can use the regular serving size of pb and feel satisfied with that, probably because of the fat in it. Also instead of having two piece of toast with pb now I only have one, and that full serving of pb seems like a lot on just one slice of bread.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Pasta.... I'm allotted so little to stay within calories that I just said to hell with it and gave it up altogether. Why even bother, it's basically 3 bites.
  • lucyholdcroft363
    lucyholdcroft363 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Cereal :'( and potato!
  • KC5115
    KC5115 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Cereal, icecream, and peanut butter are all too small for my liking!
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Smoked salmon cream cheese, it says two tablespoons but when you weigh it, it's like one. Fruit on the other hand, I underestimate, I get to have so much more.
  • InnerFitChick
    InnerFitChick Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For me, I think I use to either extreme over estimate or extreme under estimate serving size. Fairly common answers are pasta and wine and what I think I got more of were shredded cheese, crackers, proteins. I think I underserved my proteins a lot. I will put shredded chicken on that scale and have to keep adding to it. (not really complaining, but sometimes I can't eat all of it). lol :smiley:
  • extremespjb
    extremespjb Posts: 28 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Meat and nuts. Just go ahead and give me two servings please.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    The biggest surprise was how often I get more food when I weigh vs use a measuring cup. This has been true for frozen raspberries, frozen strawberries, and walnuts. Also, "one slice/two slice" serving sizes of some brands of cheese and packaged deli meat weigh less than indicated on the package, so the slices cost me less calories.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Fruit was a pleasant surprise! I was WAY overestimating the amount of fruit I was eating!
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    pasta, cheese, and nuts :(
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Vegetables/chicken/fish had all been consistently under-eyeballed by me. Same with cottage cheese and berries. I learned a "small banana" is a ridiculous idea, because I've had bananas of the same length weigh in very differently. I also learned that I was eating small/half servings of shredded cheese and butter all along.

I was surprised at how little hummus you get for 28 grams. Trail mix is depressing. Tortilla chips--a serving of potato chips is a fairly large amount of food to me, but there are never enough tortilla chips to make it worth my while. Eggs are never 75 calories--always more. Same with most packaged goods.

I also learned that I am really, really good at sticking my knife in a jar of peanut butter and coming out with a half-serving. And I'm good at slicing one ounce of cheese.

You find your eggs to be weighing more than 50 grams quite often?

When I buy them from Aldi or Publix, yes. When I buy them from Target or Walgreens? Not so much.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I usually have almonds and some kind of fruit for my afternoon snack. When I was just starting out a few years ago, someone told me that a serving of almonds was about a handful so that's what I was packing and I was logging it as a 1 oz serving. Come to find out that my handful was around 2 oz so I was logging 160 calories but eating 320.

I'm so glad this abusive post was flagged as abuse. Flagging it as abuse was not at all an abuse of the abuse flags.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I usually have almonds and some kind of fruit for my afternoon snack. When I was just starting out a few years ago, someone told me that a serving of almonds was about a handful so that's what I was packing and I was logging it as a 1 oz serving. Come to find out that my handful was around 2 oz so I was logging 160 calories but eating 320.

I'm so glad this abusive post was flagged as abuse. Flagging it as abuse was not at all an abuse of the abuse flags.

lol! I assume someone meant to hit "quote" !
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

I once accidentally tagged someone when my cat walked accross my laptop (my mouse is one of those in the middle of the keyboards). Of course, it was one of my first days on the forums, so I didn't know enough to think of contacting the mods and have it taken down.

...I still feel guilty.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options

I once accidentally tagged someone when my cat walked accross my laptop (my mouse is one of those in the middle of the keyboards). Of course, it was one of my first days on the forums, so I didn't know enough to think of contacting the mods and have it taken down.

...I still feel guilty.

I never considered that someone might have a criminal feline. I just figured he'd annoyed someone in another thread. I hope the person you did that to is one of those types who takes a perverse pleasure in getting flagged.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options

...I still feel guilty.

I never considered that someone might have a criminal feline. I just figured he'd annoyed someone in another thread. I hope the person you did that to is one of those types who takes a perverse pleasure in getting flagged.

You mean like the Peep-cleanse guy? Unfortunately not. =(

(Sadly, I can only blame the "tagged" "flagged" confusion on myself)
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'm so disappointed when something says a serving is 1 cup. Then they give you the gram weight, which is what I actually use. Then I weigh it. What kind of cups are they using....Barbie teacups???
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I will easily pour a double portion of muesli. That's why I've accepted that portion control is part of what I do about choosing my food now.

I found that an ounce of cheese was more than I expected, pasta servings less than I hoped.
  • reidhowland
    reidhowland Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    What shocks me the most is that I didn't gain more weight.

If you accept the generally accepted numbers for calories and pounds, I should've gained a lot more than I did.

This. All day long. Whaddaya know, I'm not an "endomorph" with a "slow metabolism". I just ate too much.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked by how little pasta is in a serving, even though I'm use to it now, it still seems so small!

THIS! 2oz of pasta just does not cut it for me.