Now that you weigh your food

Options

Replies

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    What shocks me the most is that I didn't gain more weight.

If you accept the generally accepted numbers for calories and pounds, I should've gained a lot more than I did.

This.
  • Toadstool_
    Toadstool_ Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Bad: Cereal - I couldn't believe what a "serving" really was!!

Good: Potatoes! I always thought you would get less for your calories so was pleasantly surprised by these. Veggies too, I have always overestimated the weight.
  • Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Cereal, definitely. A serving of cereal is so small I don't even bother unless I'm going to have a very active day and get the extra calories to make a "real" serving feasible.

• Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Pasta portions continue to disappoint me. I have worked out tricks for handling it mentally as I feel very sorry for myself when I have to remove some from the bowl when weighing.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The Kroger buffalo wings that I like as a treat are supposed to be 'about' 5 wings for 150 calories. When I weighed it, I was pretty disappointed to see that the actual serving size in grams is half of that. (And annoyed for all of the other times I ate them when I was actually eating twice the calories.)

OTOH, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my whipped cream cheese was a little more than I thought.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I got more peanut butter, grated parmesan cheese
    I got less cereal was probably the worst.
    I was happy to find out my tablespoons were pretty spot on with butter.
  • daniellepstewart209
    daniellepstewart209 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Most things were over estimated, apart from meat and fish for some reason! I was shocked at the calories of don'e things like wholemeal bread! They always say it's good for you but it's still as calorific as white! Again quite pleased at the watermelon cal/weight ! :) but hey j knew I was over estimating/ overeating as I needed to loose weight ! It's that simple. Now I'm so meticulous with weighing in grams/ml I make almost everything from scratch and even have a travel scale in my bag always
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Pasta. 2 oz of pasta is awfully small and packed with calories. This makes me very sad.
  • shawnmstout
    shawnmstout Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Let's just say that MFP and I have very different ideas about what qualifies as a "medium" sweet potato.

+1
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Nuts. An ounce of cashews is not a lot of cashews.
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    My biggest shocks were wine and cheese. The glass my dh and I had been using for wine was DOUBLE the serving size on the food lists. omg. And cheese of course -- one ounce was tiny. Oh, and cereal definitely. Not enough for breakfast. Now I actually do eat cold cereal sometimes but I have it in a smaller bowl (so the bowl is full -- playing psychological tricks on myself) and I have it for a snack not for breakfast. -- Oh and also weighing out almonds or cashews gives me many fewer nuts than I had been eating.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I was surprised to see that sliced bread actually weighs quite a bit more per slice than the package indicates (i.e. 45g slice is actually more like 50-55 at the small end of the loaf).
  • ptsmiles
    ptsmiles Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Once I started weighing, I found that an oz of cheese was more than I expected, but I was literally shaving it paper thin, so that's probably why. I'm shocked by how little pasta is in a serving, even though I'm use to it now, it still seems so small!

Oh, and apples are heavier than they look! To me, anyways.

I agree with the apples. I had been totally clueless about how many calories were in them until I started weighing them. Now, I weigh as opposed to guessing small, med., large.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I usually have almonds and some kind of fruit for my afternoon snack. When I was just starting out a few years ago, someone told me that a serving of almonds was about a handful so that's what I was packing and I was logging it as a 1 oz serving. Come to find out that my handful was around 2 oz so I was logging 160 calories but eating 320.
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    My pb serving has shrunk :( BUT, it turns out my avocado estimates were way under, so that's a huge win! While it's obvious that underestimating calories isn't good, I think it's eye opening to realize that too much UNDERESTIMATING isn't great either if you never really feel full and don't know why.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Cereal (which is okay, I never eat it alone). Pasta (in a good way...1-1.5 servings was about what I would normally eat). 34 grams of peanut butter is actually a lot, too.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    ljk0615 wrote: »
    28 g of bleu cheese crumbles is actually a decent amount of bleu cheese. and I have discovered that I love bleu cheese. Oh and feta crumbles too.

I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of feta and blue cheese, too.
  • fr33z3n
    fr33z3n Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cheese, Jam, Cereal, and Meat, i thought You can eat lots of meat cause its protein, was surprised how many calories it had
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Peanut M&M's. A serving size of those is pathetic. When I want them, I have to save up the calories for 2-3 servings in order to get my "fix". ;)
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    Rice. Rice is the only thing I consistantly, without fail, weigh at home - and I don't trust it enough to order it at restaurants.

I used to measure rice by cups. It turns out "1 cup" (based on how hungry I am and how tightly I've packed it in) can be 150 calories different from day-to-day.

I was pleasantly surprised by air-popped popcorn (no butter). Two hundred calories of that stuff lasts forever. Perfect on a movie night.