Favorite Clean Eating Recipes

Options

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Mud, dirt, stick and rocks are a favourite. They're clean, right???

Nah, bruh, you gotta wash that stick off first. It doesn't just come clean. I'm sure the mud and dirt will be fine if you mix a little bleach in with it.

I've been doing it wrong all this time???!?!?!"?!?"

better go detox from all those chemikillz and toxins

Yeah you better! I have some tea I'd be glad to sell you to help with that!

I tried it and im not losing any weight??????

You must be in starvation mode. Eat more!

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Boy people get real mad about that term. In my opinion it means meals created from whole foods rather than processed items that might contain items like corn syrup or other delicious but unhealthy if consumed a lot items. Marshmallow fluff would be not clean eating but an apple would.

Everyone knows what clean eating means. Some just hate the term and like to argue the point ;)

Really I think it's that no one know what clean eating means-and therefore like to argue the point

It can mean anything and therefore means nothing; on top of that it's neither necessary for health nor weight control. And the counterpart to clean will be unclean? It has moral connotations. That's why I dislike the term.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes.

The fact that it's confusing and no one knows what it means is demonstrated by the request for "clean" recipes. If I don't know why OP considers the recipes in a normal cookbook or website (like all the ones I mentioned in my original post) to be unclean, how can I know what she's trying to avoid?

If all you want is recipes based on whole foods, well, that's what most cookbooks involve, isn't it? (For example, the 101cookbooks site I mentioned is organized by ingredient, so I sometimes go there if I get something from the green market and want ideas. I also use Greene on Greens this way.) If you don't want to make sweets, avoid that section of the book or don't get a baking cookbook.
  • ClarityPeace
    ClarityPeace Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Furbuster wrote: »
    What are your favorite clean eating recipes?? Looking for new ideas =)

I also make a huge tray of roasted veg to last me 2-3 days and keep this in the fridge for snacks/sandwiches/wraps/ pasta etc.

What roasted veggies do best/taste ok still day 2.. they look horrific after day 1 to me.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Boy people get real mad about that term. In my opinion it means meals created from whole foods rather than processed items that might contain items like corn syrup or other delicious but unhealthy if consumed a lot items. Marshmallow fluff would be not clean eating but an apple would.

Everyone knows what clean eating means. Some just hate the term and like to argue the point ;)

Really I think it's that no one know what clean eating means-and therefore like to argue the point

It can mean anything and therefore means nothing; on top of that it's neither necessary for health nor weight control. And the counterpart to clean will be unclean? It has moral connotations. That's why I dislike the term.

Agree 100%. Was countering against the idea that we argue just to argue. "Clean eating" is just nonsense, IMHO
  • skcardiog
    skcardiog Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Water - crystal clean.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

I also make a huge tray of roasted veg to last me 2-3 days and keep this in the fridge for snacks/sandwiches/wraps/ pasta etc.

What roasted veggies do best/taste ok still day 2.. they look horrific after day 1 to me.

Sometimes they look gross the next day, especially if you mix a whole bunch or something with a lot of color-but they still taste amazing.

My favorite is roasted squash, all kinds. Dab of olive oil, sliced zucchini, summer squash and dash of salt. Bake for 20 or so, flip, bake another 20. The texture and taste are fabulous. I also like to throw tomatoes on there-but it does give the veggies an odd color. Worth it for the taste. I even like roasted broccoli, cauliflower, mixed veggies, anything. Delicious.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    christinev wrote:
    Everyone knows what clean eating means.
    Yep: washing food before cutting / cooking / eating.
    That's what it means to me, so (using your 'logic) that's what it means to everyone.

There's no one definition of "clean eating". It's a meaningless term.
    That's why there are so many threads, so many fights, so many opinions.
    If you want recipes for nonprocessed foods, say "I'm looking for recipes for nonprocessed foods".

Here's my favorite source for recipies for delicious food:
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/
    Hover over the 'recipes' tab & there's a popup where you can choose to search for a particular meal, or
    ingredient, or cooking style, and over in the far right-hand column there's even a link for 'healthy recipes'.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    the counterpart to clean will be unclean? It has moral connotations.
    Yep. To avoid 'unclean' eating, follow the 600-something laws in the christian bible's old testament for jews.
    Or the instructions in their own texts for hindus, or muslims, or whatever other sect has rules about what &
    how & when to eat.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    budgetbytes.com
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options

I use sweet peppers, mushrooms, squash, onion, garlic those sort of Mediterranean things. With oil and herbs - the oil preserves them. I actually prefer them cold :)
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Darn, I guess I have to burn my "101 Things To Do With Marshmallow Fluff" cook book then.

Seriously, other than maybe a cookbook designed for convenience, like a Sandra Lee Semi Homemade (which i would never buy because I find her annoying but I actually do think the concept is nice for busy people who don't have a lot of time to cook), aren't most cook books focused on primarily whole food ingredients? @lemurcat12 listed some great ones but even more mainstream books like Southern Livings Annual Recipe Collection or Better Homes and Gardens have recipes that I think would fit whatever definition of clean you have. And if you come across one that isn't as "clean" as you like then often there will be substitutions or just find a different one.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Mud, dirt, stick and rocks are a favourite. They're clean, right???

Nah, bruh, you gotta wash that stick off first. It doesn't just come clean. I'm sure the mud and dirt will be fine if you mix a little bleach in with it.

I've been doing it wrong all this time???!?!?!"?!?"

better go detox from all those chemikillz and toxins

Yeah you better! I have some tea I'd be glad to sell you to help with that!

I tried it and im not losing any weight??????

You must be in starvation mode. Eat more!

but my personal trainer @ the gym said no carbs after 6pm and I can on only eat organic???!?!?!? IM DOING EVERYTHING RIGHT
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Can't you take any recipe and make it "clean" by substituting?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

No, we don't. What I consider "clean" isn't the same as yours though there would be similar ideologies. I consider my wheat bread, Swiss cheese, peanut butter, and cucumber sammich "clean" while many would not because 3 out of 4 items are "processed", from a package, have more than 1 ingredient, have HFCS and/or other "I can't pronounce it" chemicals.

Since you know what "clean eating" means, please post the definition and clear it up for the rest of the class.
    owzvz94n7bqc.gif

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    She asked for recipes people...why turn it in to another opportunity to push the point of...what does "clean" eating mean.

OP...you can take most recipes and use fresh ingredients.

Example...I make chicken salad using a store bought "lite" mayo...you could make your own mayo instead.

I use this site a lot...skinnytaste.com. The recipes are easy to modify and many of them don't use processed ingredients except for olive oils...cheese...and a few other things.

I don't eat "clean" I suppose based on other peoples standards but I do try to limit them because of sodium. I use them sparingly. I just adapt the recipes that I have always used.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Darn, I guess I have to burn my "101 Things To Do With Marshmallow Fluff" cook book then.

I wonder if it's okay if you make the marshmallows and then the fluff from scratch?

There's actually an entire cookbook devoted to marshmallows that I found when I searched for the history of the marshmallow/sweet potato dish during another discussion (it and cooking with marshmallows was super popular in the early 1900s, apparently).

Here are some recipes from epicurious: http://www.epicurious.com/archive/howtocook/primers/marshmallows

So "clean" or not? Luckily, I do not care.

;-)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    She asked for recipes people...why turn it in to another opportunity to push the point of...what does "clean" eating mean.

She was given recipes (my first post contains numerous options) and the point of saying "why clean recipes, what does that mean?" in my initial post was to open her up to the realization that she could usefully look at just about any cookbook or recipe site.

The argument over "what is clean eating" really began when people popped in (after she had been given a variety of helpful answers to her question) to claim that we all knew what "clean" meant when that was the point, we don't.

(But if "clean" means no flour, skip the recipes with flour or leave it out, depending. I always modify recipes.)
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Op, Cooksmarts.com has really helped me learn how to cook with a wide variety of whole foods and they have MFP comparability, so it's very easy to log the dinners!