"Fake" sugar: Why is it not good for you?

Options
123457»

Replies

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    half_moon wrote: »

~sips diet coke~

OP...you seem to have a knack for starting threads on controversial subjects that often turn into garbage fires. I'm beginning to wonder if this is intentional.

I mostly wondered if my diet coke is bad for me, because I really love diet coke. Also I've been unsuccessful losing weight and was told to reevaluate my calories. I drink a diet coke a day, and never considered it to be bad until someone pointed them out on my diary. Which led me to this forum.

Honestly? I think MFP has been on some odd tangent addiction lately, because I leave and come back to 50+ notifications. There is so much information overload and varying opinions, to be honest, I'm not even sure what to listen to.

It's always like that. I would suggest thinking about the information you have seen, and see what rings true for you. Also maybe do your own research. In the very least, consider the people who have at least been successful
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »

~sips diet coke~

OP...you seem to have a knack for starting threads on controversial subjects that often turn into garbage fires. I'm beginning to wonder if this is intentional.

I mostly wondered if my diet coke is bad for me, because I really love diet coke. Also I've been unsuccessful losing weight and was told to reevaluate my calories. I drink a diet coke a day, and never considered it to be bad until someone pointed them out on my diary. Which led me to this forum.

Honestly? I think MFP has been on some odd tangent addiction lately, because I leave and come back to 50+ notifications. There is so much information overload and varying opinions, to be honest, I'm not even sure what to listen to.

It's always like that. I would suggest thinking about the information you have seen, and see what rings true for you. Also maybe do your own research. In the very least, consider the people who have at least been successful

I looked around online and found it was a topic that nobody really settled on, so I was counting on a few solid MFPers to lend me their experience -- which many here did.

But damn. The thread exploded when I was gone. And I come back and get accused of igniting fires. Can't win on MFP sometimes.
  • MamaBirdBoss
    MamaBirdBoss Posts: 1,516 Member
    Options
    Just because people disagree doesn't mean that everyone might be right.
  • GrandmaCarole
    GrandmaCarole Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My registered dietitians from the local hospital who work at the diabetic clinic have given their approval for use, and they stay abreast of these things. Some people have a bad reaction to them, like an allergic reaction, and get headaches, as do both my daughters in law. But I have used Equal since the 70s on a regular basis, and a lot of it, without any bad effects. The worst thing for a diet and for diabetes is sugared pop.
    I eat very high fiber carbs like raspberries, blackberries, beans, acorn squash, Kashi Go lean crunch, in small amounts and use aspartame or splenda for sweeteners. Splenda is better for cooking.
    Get your information from registered dietitians, which is the most reliable source.