"Fake" sugar: Why is it not good for you?

Options

Replies

• LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    In MY experience, it can be worse than sugar - makes me crave carbs like crazy. Especially splenda. Especially because most things that have splenda in them are just way too sweet (which is the case of most products with artificial sweeteners, honestly).

I have found this to be true for me too. If I need to sweeten something up, i use it. But, if I start eating too much of it I am hungrier in general.

Me three! I didn't believe it until I cut out all artificial sweeteners for a while and then felt the difference. I do think there's probably a lot of individual differences (and who knows, maybe placebo effects), but for the OP, I recommend playing around with what helps YOU with your satiety.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    half_moon wrote: »

~sips diet coke~

Thank you for a good laugh! :smiley:
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    No. The most toxic thing in my Diet Coke is the water.

The phosphoric acid is probably a bit more toxic :-)

If you purposefully tried to drink enough diet soda in order for the phosphoric acid to reach a high enough level to be considered toxic, you would die well before reaching that point because the amount of water would kill you first. :-)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    jmule24 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    rdberg1957 wrote: »
    I think the problem with the artificial sweeteners has been appetite and cravings, which is the same problem with sugars. When I eat sugar, I tend to eat more calories overall. The sweetness registers the same as far as the brain is concerned. If you don't experience that, it may not be a problem for you. My bias is that simple whole foods are generally better (fruits and vegetables, small amounts of fish and chicken, small amounts of whole grains and legumes).

Wait doesn't fruit have sugar in it??

Fruit sugar is "clean" sugar......and well the other stuff is processed different, right? That's what I keep hearing around here........

Clean sugar...chuckles. That's like the idiots who says Stevia is a more natural sugar despite the fact that is just as processed as cane sugar. Are we not at the expiry date of the latest nutrient blame fad yet?

If you purposefully tried to drink enough diet soda in order for the phosphoric acid to reach a high enough level to be considered toxic, you would die well before reaching that point because the amount of water would kill you first. :-)

Challenge accepted.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    sadiebrawl wrote: »
    A thread about "fake sugar" that eventually turns into 'If you consume artificial sweeteners and regular sugar, you will fry on Satan's pitchfork.' Never would have guessed it. Add me to the list going down to h3ll. At least it will be warm.

See I'm finding the opposite very true. If you say sugar is bad for you, you get kinda sorta made fun of.

That's why I added in the part about consuming sugar and frying on Satan's pitchfork. To set the record straight, I have seen no evidence from credible sources that prove that eating sugar will result in Satan taking his pitchfork and burning you in h3ll. I guess I just wish this whole Fed Up worship/sugar is the devil thing will go away. It's ridiculous. Just my opinion. Take it with a grain of sugar. ;)

I never watched the whole movie, I couldn't stand all of the inconsistency and hippocracy in the first 20 minutes. What I didn't see in the 20 mins of the film were any of the "doctors" helping the kids and parents better understand WHY they are obese.

I'm 31, but I can remember it was Saturated Fat was the debil, Colesterol, Sodium, then Trans Fats (which they are bad....), then Carbs, then artificial sweetners, and now Sugar......... What MACRO/Micro is next?!?!?! lulz
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    FoxyLifter wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    rdberg1957 wrote: »
    I think the problem with the artificial sweeteners has been appetite and cravings, which is the same problem with sugars. When I eat sugar, I tend to eat more calories overall. The sweetness registers the same as far as the brain is concerned. If you don't experience that, it may not be a problem for you. My bias is that simple whole foods are generally better (fruits and vegetables, small amounts of fish and chicken, small amounts of whole grains and legumes).

Wait doesn't fruit have sugar in it??

Fruit sugar is "clean" sugar......and well the other stuff is processed different, right? That's what I keep hearing around here........

Clean sugar...chuckles. That's like the idiots who says Stevia is a more natural sugar despite the fact that is just as processed as cane sugar. Are we not at the expiry date of the latest nutrient blame fad yet?

Challenge accepted.

Hold my diet coke, bro
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    The aspartame made me crave sweets.

You get different answers from scientists on this stuff and when they can't agree, I err on the side of caution, so it's out.

The whole thing reminds me of the cigarette debates. There is still no proof that anyone died because they smoked, but it's generally agreed that sucking that stuff into your lungs will do them no good and it should be avoided. But there were plenty of doctors and scientists testifying that there was no proof it hurt anyone, they themselves smoked, etc.

Until the scientists are (almost) all in agreement, stop saying things like, "There is no proof that it will hurt you" and start saying things like, "It's good for you," I'm going to try not to swallow it.

Actually, that is the great, great trick the tobacco industry manages to this very day - they have people believe there was ever even a moderate percentage of scientists or studies showing smoking was not harmful. That is simply not true. The majority of research on tobaccos and the consensus of researchers has always been cautious to openly claiming it is harmful. The tobacco industry paid big money to get people to believe the tiny number of pro-tobacco researchers - these pro-tobacco researchers never made up an appreciable amount of the researchers.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    I spent the afternoon baking a cake while following this thread. Just FYI
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    A thread about "fake sugar" that eventually turns into 'If you consume artificial sweeteners and regular sugar, you will fry on Satan's pitchfork.' Never would have guessed it. Add me to the list going down to h3ll. At least it will be warm.

See I'm finding the opposite very true. If you say sugar is bad for you, you get kinda sorta made fun of.

Sugar isn't bad for you.

Excessive sugar is bad for you.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Yes, because people like to clear up incorrect information, and that statement "Sugar is bad for you" is incorrect.

Well if it's good for you, you sir. Made my day. Off to get a snickers bar and a coke from the vending machine. Tossing my apple!

Apples contain lots of sugar (and are not bad for you, except in excess).

I compared a chocolate chip recipe in my recipe box and a standard-size apple. The apple had more sugar. The cookie had more calories, of course, due to other ingredients (especially butter).
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2015
    Options

That's why I added in the part about consuming sugar and frying on Satan's pitchfork. To set the record straight, I have seen no evidence from credible sources that prove that eating sugar will result in Satan taking his pitchfork and burning you in h3ll. I guess I just wish this whole Fed Up worship/sugar is the devil thing will go away. It's ridiculous. Just my opinion. Take it with a grain of sugar. ;)

I never watched the whole movie, I couldn't stand all of the inconsistency and hippocracy in the first 20 minutes. What I didn't see in the 20 mins of the film were any of the "doctors" helping the kids and parents better understand WHY they are obese.

I'm 31, but I can remember it was Saturated Fat was the debil, Colesterol, Sodium, then Trans Fats (which they are bad....), then Carbs, then artificial sweetners, and now Sugar......... What MACRO/Micro is next?!?!?! lulz

There's a small groundswell for protein being bad (China study and the related casein causes tumors to grow in rats argument in that book, that diet doctor (McDougall) who is obsessed with potatoes, Freelee and the 80-10-10 raw people), although right now more people are pro protein. I suspect protein will get its day, though.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Sugar isn't bad for you.

Excessive sugar calories are bad for you.

FIFY

• lemurcat12
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Fair enough.

To clarify, my definition of excessive anything tends to be: (1) at a level that actually causes damage, (2) at a level that leads you to go over calories, (3) so much that you are failing to get adequate amounts of other things you need, like protein, fat, or micronutrients.

So when people ask if you can eat too much fruit, I say if you are having digestive issues, going over your calories, or low on protein, fat, or other things you need.

Same answer for cookies. ;-)
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Fair enough.

To clarify, my definition of excessive anything tends to be: (1) at a level that actually causes damage, (2) at a level that leads you to go over calories, (3) so much that you are failing to get adequate amounts of other things you need, like protein, fat, or micronutrients.

So when people ask if you can eat too much fruit, I say if you are having digestive issues, going over your calories, or low on protein, fat, or other things you need.

Same answer for cookies. ;-)

SURVEY says...................... DINGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!

Nicely put!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I'm so not going to argue why I believe soda is junk food. Instead I'm going to go buy a pack of light cigarettes because those must not be as bad as smoking regular ones. :)

+1 (i'm plussing myself here and I don't give a shite)

Horrible analogy...especially since there is nothing wrong with regular soda either.

Now, now - let's not get ahead of ourselves. She may have a point.

I mean, surely inhaling soda, diet or regular, into your lungs every day, multiple times a day, would not be healthy...

Yeah..but have you ever tried rolling your own soda-rette?

No, but I have brewed my own ginger ale and root beer.

• hopemae2
    hopemae2 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a sugar substitute, I would try stevia. It is plant-based and all natural. You can also try Monk fruit. If you decide to go this way try to stick with liquid form, because it doesn't have the anti-caking agent inside of it that all packaged sweeteners carry. Aspartame is pretty bad for you. A lot of studies have shown that when aspartame is heated above a certain temperature it will turn to formaldehyde. Working at the fire department with the hazmat station, we tested a diet can of Coke for formaldehyde. We did not even heat the Diet Coke because we figured they get stored at warehouses that don't have air conditioning. Lo and behold they can tested positive for formaldehyde.....to me it's just not worth it.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    half_moon wrote: »

~sips diet coke~

OP...you seem to have a knack for starting threads on controversial subjects that often turn into garbage fires. I'm beginning to wonder if this is intentional.

I mostly wondered if my diet coke is bad for me, because I really love diet coke. Also I've been unsuccessful losing weight and was told to reevaluate my calories. I drink a diet coke a day, and never considered it to be bad until someone pointed them out on my diary. Which led me to this forum.

Honestly? I think MFP has been on some odd tangent addiction lately, because I leave and come back to 50+ notifications. There is so much information overload and varying opinions, to be honest, I'm not even sure what to listen to.