Eating so much is a pain?

Options
Ugh. So this whole thing with eating more has just got me off the rockers. I try but i end up having to stuff my face at meals to get my calories up and today I am at like 1600, which is a big step for me, and I am fuller than a cow in a field. I've been this full and stuff since lunch where I was up to 950 calories so I did not have a mid day snack like I normally do. I don't know how to get my calories up without feeling like crap but man if eating more has me like this, I don't want to eat 1700 calories lol

Today i've had:

Protein shake. (140 calories)
Carrots (240 calories)
4 apples (400 calories)
2 pieces of rye bread (130 calories)
2 rice cakes (70 calories)
2 yogurts (100 calories)
Cottage cheese (180 calories)
Air popped pop corn (180 calories)
Almond butter (100 calories, split between the rice cakes and bread)

So 1570 (this includes tea before bed which is 30 calories)

I try to eat balanced means but today has been all over for me so I have not. That I guess is the cause for my awful eating strategy. Ugh. Why is this hard... it is especially hard since I'm really only just starting high calorie again from eating from a stretch of steady 1000-1100 calories.

I just feel like I need to force myself to eat to heal my head from being scared, so I can get my abs to show through.

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Umm....try eating an actual meal. Those are snacks, not meals.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Ugh. So this whole thing with eating more has just got me off the rockers. I try but i end up having to stuff my face at meals to get my calories up and today I am at like 1600, which is a big step for me, and I am fuller than a cow in a field. I've been this full and stuff since lunch where I was up to 950 calories so I did not have a mid day snack like I normally do. I don't know how to get my calories up without feeling like crap but man if eating more has me like this, I don't want to eat 1700 calories lol

Today i've had:

Carrots (240 calories)
    4 apples (400 calories)
    2 yogurts (100 calories)

I try to eat balanced means but today has been all over for me so I have not. That I guess is the cause for my awful eating strategy. Ugh. Why is this hard... it is especially hard since I'm really only just starting high calorie again from eating from a stretch of steady 1000-1100 calories.

I just feel like I need to force myself to eat to heal my head from being scared, so I can get my abs to show through.

Eat things that have more calories. Your list of foods reads like a list of foods people normally think of as diet foods.

Put a little butter on the popcorn. Eat some cashews instead of rice cakes. Mix your protein shake with some peanut butter or a cup of milk.

And where are your meals? Take those carrots and sautee them with some onions and garlic.

Eat some carbs. Rice. Pasta. Bread.

Eat some fats. Butter, oil, peanut butter, etc.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    Where's the beef, yo?
    No, really, where's the meat?
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Where's the beef, yo?

For real, at least some fish...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You need more fat and protein in your diet. Try a hamburger. Seriously. You need fats and protein. These are not bad things.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I figured OP was a vegetarian. Maybe not. Who knows.

Diet could use some beans, nuts, leafy greens, lentils, etc etc, though.

The diet in the OP is certainly not in any sense of the word balanced.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    She may be vegetarian ?
    Either way, you need a few proper meals, and to incorporate some more calorie dense foods, like avocado, peanut butter, beans, sweet potatoes, full fat yoghurt, cheese, eggs, tofu(if you are veggie) and fish and/or meat(if you eat it). It is not hard to eat that number of calories if eating the right things, and getting out of the diet food mentality.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I'm going to assume you're a vegetarian? Maybe more (as in any!) beans and such? A little butter or olive oil to cook carrots and apples then tossing that over some lentils? Prepare to die from deliciousness.
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You need to keep the snack to 2 snacks a day and eat full MEALS. Salmon, lean meats...carbs, brown rice, whole grain pastas, whole grain bread. Nuts, cashews, almonds etc, high in calories +good fats. Stir fry your veggies and proteins in olive oil for a calorie bump. Look up recipes! I mean, there's even an entire recipe thread category on here. So many things you can do. :)
  • Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options

I'm vegan, and I surely dont eat like OP..... Lol..... I consume 120 grams protein per day :)
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Where's the beef, yo?

Omg no now you want meat????
  • jonnythan
    Options

I'm vegan, and I surely dont eat like OP..... Lol..... I consume 120 grams protein per day :)

Out of curiosity, where do you get all that protein as a vegan?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'd be ready to hork if I had 640 calories worth of carrots and apples. And I love apples and carrots. Just not in that volume.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Higher calorie foods will do the trick. The above suggestions are very good. Meats, butters, nuts, etc...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Here's a day from my diary:

Breakfast: 2 slices toast with butter, eggs, and fresh fruit-- 680 calories

Lunch: greek yogurt, 1 cup cottage cheese, 3 mini york peppermint patties-- 490 calories

Dinner: Rosemary Lemon Garlic Chicken Thigh, Spinach Salad, Lima Beans, fresh radishes-- 408 calories

Snacks: 1 raw cucumber, Ice cream-- 270 calories

Total: 1848 calories

Eat more calorie dense foods and get your protein and fats up.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options

Today i've had:

Carrots (240 calories)
    4 apples (400 calories)
    2 yogurts (100 calories)

My protein shake had over 600 calories in it this morning. And it's full of nutrients. You can easily get more calories in that. I threw in a half avocado and couldn't even taste it but the benefits of avocado are big. Eat more calorie dense foods and actual meals instead of just snacking.
  • Raeontherun
    Raeontherun Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Vegetables, beans, lentils, Ezekiel bread, tofu, nuts, peanut butter

Out of curiosity, where do you get all that protein as a vegan?
  • Bearbrat
    Bearbrat Posts: 230
    Options
    You need more fat and protein in your diet. Try a hamburger. Seriously. You need fats and protein. These are not bad things.
    THIS!!!!!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes and popcorn would not be my choice of food for hitting the carb macro, especially if you are having trouble eating enough to meet your intake goal. Both are high-volume, low-calorie foods--sort of like eating styrofoam.

If you are of a health-conscious bent, focus on whole grains and starchy vegetables--they have a better micronutrient profile (vitamins, minerals). No reason to exclude rice cakes and popcorn if you like them, but that's one place where I would make a substitution, for more reasons than one.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Oh good, let's turn a thread by a young girl with an ED into a fight about vegetarian and vegan diets.

OP - if you're not a vegetarian, then seriously eat a hamburger as I said earlier. If you're really a vegetarian then eat more dairy and down some whole eggs. I really don't like restricted diets for anyone with an ED because you need to learn to eat and at this point, you need to be eating a little bit of everything. Your body needs nutrition and it doesn't matter where it comes from. That said, if you are going to be a vegetarian then learn how to do it correctly and get a balanced diet. Your health and life are too important.