Options
    jonrenly wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    oh, and sugar addiction is not real.

erm I agree with the rest of your post but this isn't true. you can get addicted to virtually anything.

http://www.asam.org/for-the-public/definition-of-addiction
    Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-sugar-addiction

I REALLY like chocolate.....but there is no 12 step program. There is no "detoxing" or pharmaceutical remedy for chocolate lovers. Although "detoxes" and "cleanses" are popular weight loss fads right now.

Neither of these links disprove my point. Your first is simply a definition and the second one says it "may" not be an addiction.

For some people their response to sugar shares characteristics with other forms of addiction. Don't discount other peoples experience because you think its simply an impulse control problem.

Petting puppies also "shares characteristics with other forms of addiction." That does not mean that you can get addicted to petting puppies.

Sugar tastes good. We like to eat foods that taste good. A lot of people have issues with eating too much food that tastes good. That does not mean that we are addicted to any of those foods.

Congrats to you for never having faced a food addiction of any kind but that doesn't mean your experience extends to anyone else, doc.

I had a problem with eating too much food for a long time. Especially cookies, ice cream, chocolate, and Little Debbies. I have a weakness for sweets. I would have never in a million years said "I am addicted to sugar." I had to realize that I had the power to control what goes into my mouth. Blaming something like sugar is a cop-out and it takes the responsibility off of the individual and onto the food, which is nonsense.

I do recognize that people with an eating disorder, such as BED, are different in that regard; however, the average overeater is just an overeater, not a binger or an addict. People with disorders are exceptions rather than rules.

So, as far as saying that my experience doesn't extend to anyone else, I'd say that my experience extends to most people. The people with disordered eating who blame specific foods like sugar are projecting their experiences onto everyone else.

Re: the bold, I agree, and not once in this entire thread did I ever imply that this wasn't true. Of course people who take an extreme, unhealthy, obsessive fixation to and emotional reliance on food or whatever else are the minority, the vast majority of people don't ever truly reach that point. My point is that those people who fit in that very small percentage have an experience as real and legitimate as anyone elses, and its wrong to deny they exist or imply that they're lying to themselves.

Right, but disordered eating with a tendency to binge on pleasure foods is not the same as an actual "addiction" to sugar. If true sugar addiction were a thing, then ANY sugar would have the effect. And sugar is in pretty much all fruits and vegetables, breads, oatmeal, dairy, etc.

People binge on the taste-good foods (some people like sugary foods, some are drawn to salty foods, some, fatty foods, etc) because they make the individual feel happy and comfortable, and they are usually easily accessible and are bought in a higher volume, like sleeves of cookies and bags of chips.

*Edit: Please understand that I'm not debating the issue with you just to argue or just to give you a hard time. The reason why I feel like I should say something is because I think it can be easy for people who are just starting out to say "oh well, I guess I can't help it if I'm addicted to sugar." If someone really enjoys sugar and tries to cut it out of their diet completely without knowing anything about nutrition or moderation, then they are at a high risk for falling off the wagon later on and binging on what they have labeled as "bad" and restricted themselves from having. People with legitimate BED should definitely get help with their disorder, but your average overweight Joe/Jane would probably be better off in the long run without giving labels and power to certain foods and learning how to moderate them and include them as part of their healthy lifestyle.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Well, perhaps my problem with sugar is not exactly an addiction but it felt like one. If I didn't eat something with carbs every few hours I started to shake - you could see it in my hands - and I would get very tired and cranky... I imagine that is some insulin resistance but it feels not the best.

When I go over a day without sugar I get crankier and a migraine that last until I get some carbs into me again. In the past three weeks when I have mostly gone without added sugars, restricted my fruit, avoided starches, and ate veggies that were lower carb, I would guess that I've had a migraine for about 15 days (off and on). The migrain would last about 3 days and then I would have something with carbs (on the weekend it was a 1/4 c of potato salad and a small slice of cake while eating at someone's home) and the headache is just today going away.

Don't get me wrong, I know that my love of pop and ice cream is not the/an addiction, but the withdrawal from the sugars in them makes it feel like an addiction... albeit a MUCH weaker one than nicotine, drugs or alcohol.

Whatever it is, I can not handle small amounts of sugar and find that I need to go without it if I want to reduce my intake. I'm okay with that. The human body does not need added sugar or starches to survive anyways - that sugar just makes eating more fun, that's all. ;)
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I scrolled this entire thread and saw not one picture of a lit up brain from an MRI scan. I am disappoint.
  • SkinnyKerinny
    SkinnyKerinny Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hi lynngree

I absolutely don't do well with sugar. I get those extreme roller coaster rides from my blood sugar spiking and crashing. And then uncontrollable cravings. No fun. Since you eat so much sugar my guess is that is what's happening to you also.

I recently started a low carb diet and after some adjustments over the past 2 weeks I feel so much more in control. One thing I learned is that grains can actually react in your body WORSE than sugar. I had no idea and never would have guessed.

So if you want to stop craving sugar think about eating carbs from fruits and veggies rather than grains or sugar and don't eat a ton of fruit either! I think that could help you tremendously.

I previously tried cutting out sugar and still had cravings. Now I know why-- it was the grains. Knowledge is power!

I hope this bit of info helps you also.
  • NumbrsNerd
    NumbrsNerd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    @NVSMOMKETO:

I am very avoidant of white sugar too. I have hypoglycemia and PCOS among other conditions and my doctor is very anti-sugar (white, processed sugar). Truthfully, I feel better when I don't eat it. I can feel its inflammatory effects on my body when I eat it, and it kills my mood and energy level.

When I do eat sugar, I want EVERYTHING with sugar in it. It's definitely a "trigger" type food that starts an unhealthy, bad choices, poor self control downward spiral for me....so I avoid it.

I am wondering if your overall carbs were too low and causing the migraine - not that you were "withdrawing" from sugar? I tried a very low net-carb ketogenic diet before (<20), and I felt like I was DYING. A little fruit mixed in and I feel much better - and my net carbs are still pretty low - within keto ranges.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    oh, and sugar addiction is not real.

erm I agree with the rest of your post but this isn't true. you can get addicted to virtually anything.

so you can then use the addiction crutch for anything....so if you can't get a job you are addicted to unemployment? You really want to go down that road?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Suzmp88 wrote: »
    OP - similar to nvsmomketo I recommend at least learning about keto diets or something like South Beach diet. When I'm craving something sweet I can't stop at just one serving so I've found it best that I cut out most high carb and sugar foods.

South Beach asks you to cut out carbohydrates and sugars for 2 weeks - "Phase 1". Keep in mind there are plenty of low carb desserts you can purchase or make - so you won't be denied some sweetness. After Phase 1 you incorporate whole wheat pastas and low sugar fruit like cantaloupe. Phase 3 is when you can start incorporating back a regular amount of high carb and sugar foods. The point is to retrain how you view food (pleasure vs nutrition). Sugar cravings decrease greatly and you'll find that even low sugar foods will satisfy your sweet tooth.

Here is a link to the Low-Carb group on MFP that has a lot of good beginner info: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

what does LC or keto have to do with sugar addiction? OR are you saying that keto/LC is sugar free?????
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Addiction isn't like diabetes or the flu. There is no blood test or gold standard to decide of someone "has it" or not. Psychiatry has definitely made the whole business of understanding human problems (so often relegated to the "mental health" domain) a lot more confusing, but that's for another discussion, perhaps.

For some people, the consumption of (typically highly processed and hyperpalatable) sugary food behaves like an addiction, and for sure, sugar can active the same brain reward circuitry as cocaine and heroin. But then again, a good Mozart minuet or a beautiful sunset can *also* activate the same brain reward circuitry, so there's that.

Fruit is a wonderful thing, and I'd be hard pressed to recommend a way of eating that cuts it out of one's diet completely. That being said, I tend to avoid certain fruits because they tend to cause sharp insulin spikes (like grapes and bananas) and I tend to emphasize low-GI fruits like berries because of the opposite. A low-carb diet plan may be a really good way to wean oneself off a so-called sugar addiction.

• ndj1979
    edited July 2015
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Addiction isn't like diabetes or the flu. There is no blood test or gold standard to decide of someone "has it" or not. For some people, the consumption of (typically highly processed and hyperpalatable) sugary food behaves like an addiction, and for sure, sugar can active the same brain reward circuitry as cocaine and heroin. But then again, a good Mozart minuet or a beautiful sunset can *also* activate the same brain reward circuitry, so there's that.

please provide evidence of your claim with human trials showing evidence of sugar addiction.

ETA - petting puppies activates the same center as cocaine and heroin too, are people addicted to petting puppies?
  • SarahCate_2pt0
    SarahCate_2pt0 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    FYI: I successfully manage my insulin resistance with metformin and a "low carb" diet where I keep my carb intake below 35% of my total calories (roughly 150 grams/day). This arrangement has helped me get control over my sugar/carb cravings, as well as, my other IR symptoms without experiencing the side effects of more aggressive low carb/keto diets. I also consistently lose weight when I eat at a calorie deficit and keep my carb intake at or below 35%--when I stick to it. ;)

Bear in mind that I do have a medical condition that warrants a low-carb diet. It is not necessary for most people. A simple calorie deficit and a little extra willpower to say "no" to the sweets is usually enough to move the scale.

Also, I tried keto before going to a dietician. It made me very ill. I would advise you to do some research to fully understand what all of your options are. There is no need to go to extremes to manage sugar cravings.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Sugar didn't make you fat. Too many calories did. "Quitting sugar" is nearly impossible. Plenty of foods contain sugar, even if they aren't sweet, and this includes nutritious foods like fruit. What you need is a calorie deficit to lose weight. That's it.

Saying you're "addicted" to something like sugar is just an excuse. You like high sugar foods. Plenty of people do. Doesn't mean you're addicted.
    Mussronkey wrote: »
    I'm totally addicted to sugar. I'll eat an entire bag of candy then go out for a Blizzard. Who does that?

I could/would if I let myself. Still not addicted to sugar.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    please provide evidence of your claim with human trials showing evidence of sugar addiction.

I'm supposed to do what now? Maybe tell me exactly what you're disagreeing with and we can go from there.
  • hcdo
    hcdo Posts: 201 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mussronkey wrote: »
    I'm totally addicted to sugar. I'll eat an entire bag of candy then go out for a Blizzard. Who does that?

Me me me!! (I also used to eat my entire Easter basket before anyone else woke up Easter morning, then spend the rest of the day in a sugar coma. I had to resort to stealing from my brother's basket just to make it through the day.) I won't go as far as to say it's addicting, but I sure crave the hell out of it. I have the fillings to prove it.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    NumbrsNerd wrote: »
    @NVSMOMKETO:

I am wondering if your overall carbs were too low and causing the migraine - not that you were "withdrawing" from sugar? I tried a very low net-carb ketogenic diet before (<20), and I felt like I was DYING. A little fruit mixed in and I feel much better - and my net carbs are still pretty low - within keto ranges.

I don't *think* my overall carbs are too low but it could be. My carbs are mostly between 30g and 50g lately. I want to keep it between 15 and 30 but I haven't done it yet.

My guess is that my body is not used to burning fat rather than glucose and it's having a hard time adjusting, and that is making things a bit hard (ie. migraines)... On the bright side, my cravings for sugary items, and the shakes and fatigue, are pretty much gone now. :)
    As a diagnosis, addiction is fairly clearly defined using a 3 of 7 factors test of the DSM-IV: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK64247/

For me, that could work when I think of how I am around carbs and sugars. Wow. Interesting!
  • Suzmp88
    Suzmp88 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Suzmp88 wrote: »
    The point is to retrain how you view food (pleasure vs nutrition). Sugar cravings decrease greatly and you'll find that even low sugar foods will satisfy your sweet tooth.

what does LC or keto have to do with sugar addiction? OR are you saying that keto/LC is sugar free?????

I'm not sure where I could have been more clear.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    DrEnalg wrote: »
    Addiction isn't like diabetes or the flu. There is no blood test or gold standard to decide of someone "has it" or not. Psychiatry has definitely made the whole business of understanding human problems (so often relegated to the "mental health" domain) a lot more confusing, but that's for another discussion, perhaps.

For some people, the consumption of (typically highly processed and hyperpalatable) sugary food behaves like an addiction, and for sure, sugar can active the same brain reward circuitry as cocaine and heroin. But then again, a good Mozart minuet or a beautiful sunset can *also* activate the same brain reward circuitry, so there's that.

Fruit is a wonderful thing, and I'd be hard pressed to recommend a way of eating that cuts it out of one's diet completely. That being said, I tend to avoid certain fruits because they tend to cause sharp insulin spikes (like grapes and bananas) and I tend to emphasize low-GI fruits like berries because of the opposite. That being said, a low-carb diet plan may be a really good way to wean oneself off a so-called sugar addiction.

As a diagnosis, addiction is fairly clearly defined using a 3 of 7 factors test of the DSM-IV: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK64247/

...and as with any diagnosis the diagnostician must be a clinical professional with full understanding of the intent and meaning of the stated factors.
  • lynngree
    lynngree Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi lynngree

I absolutely don't do well with sugar. I get those extreme roller coaster rides from my blood sugar spiking and crashing. And then uncontrollable cravings. No fun. Since you eat so much sugar my guess is that is what's happening to you also.

I recently started a low carb diet and after some adjustments over the past 2 weeks I feel so much more in control. One thing I learned is that grains can actually react in your body WORSE than sugar. I had no idea and never would have guessed.

So if you want to stop craving sugar think about eating carbs from fruits and veggies rather than grains or sugar and don't eat a ton of fruit either! I think that could help you tremendously.

I previously tried cutting out sugar and still had cravings. Now I know why-- it was the grains. Knowledge is power!

I hope this bit of info helps you also.

• lynngree
    lynngree Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi SkinnyKerinny
    Thank you for the reply and info I know sugar is in a lot of foods an it was advice on cutting down on cakes chocolate biscuits etc I've always had a sweet tooth an I was just looking for tips on how to eat my meals without always having or wanting dessert.