Sugar addiction

Options
lynngree
lynngree Posts: 7 Member
Hi I've come back to myfitnesspal because I'm determined to loose weight become healthy an keep the weight off, but I could really use help an advice of quitting sugar from my diet because I eat far too much.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm new too, and I also have a problem with sugar. I can't have just a little bit so I cut it all out, and I still feel badly from the withdrawal :# I'm following a ketogenic diet (LCHF) since I can't have just a small amount. All or nothing for me.

Good luck.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    So you aren't going to eat fruit?
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    It's more likely you eat too many calories. Unless you have a medical condition, there is no reason you need to directly quit sugar. It is perfectly acceptable as part of a well balanced diet that stays within your calorie target. Have you calculated your caloric needs to lose the weight you want? If you don't know that number, it doesn't matter what you remove from your diet.
  • Mussronkey
    Mussronkey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm totally addicted to sugar. I'll eat an entire bag of candy then go out for a Blizzard. Who does that?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Almost no fruit for me. In the last week I ate a kiwi in a smoothie (cream, spinach, avocado), and then I had a couple of slices of canteloupe in a another smoothie. I eat a fair bit of greens and veggies grown above ground, but I eat nothing that uses a starch or flour, and limit fruit to low sugar fruits.

I was never much of a fruit person so restricting fruit is no problem. It's giving up pop, chocolate chips and ice cream that is hard... I'd be going for that blizzard with you Mussronkey.
  • mariscott7
    mariscott7 Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ^^^ people with taste buds!
    All kidding aside I feel Ya on the sugar front. I lost so much weight when I gave up sweet tea but now that I regularly have soda it's like the loss never happened. I gave blood the other day and wondered why they didn't have an option besides ocean spray juice and keebler cookies for our follow-up. I get that we need sugar (so to speak) as soon as possible afterward but I know next time I give I need to take some not-so-bad snacks. I'm still craving those peanut butter wafers with chocolate. :-(
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    mariscott7 wrote: »
    ^^^ people with taste buds!
    All kidding aside I feel Ya on the sugar front. I lost so much weight when I gave up sweet tea but now that I regularly have soda it's like the loss never happened. I gave blood the other day and wondered why they didn't have an option besides ocean spray juice and keebler cookies for our follow-up. I get that we need sugar (so to speak) as soon as possible afterward but I know next time I give I need to take some not-so-bad snacks. I'm still craving those peanut butter wafers with chocolate. :-(

OP - here is my advice.

Enter your stats into MFP and set it for one pound a week loss.
    Eat to that number
    get a food scale and weigh all solids
    log everything
    use correct MFP database entries
    Drop the good food/bad food mentality. If you eat in a calorie deficit and get the majority of your food from nutrient dense sources, then you can eat sugar, be healthy, and lose weight. Food = food it is neither good, bad, evil, etc.
    find a form of exercise that you like and do it..this is not necessary but is a good idea for overall health.

if you deprive yourself of something you are going to want more of it, IMO..

oh, and sugar addiction is not real.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Sugar is a craving...not an addiction. I crave it too, but quitting cold turkey just helps me stay on a "diet." Quitting cold turkey doesn't help me deal with my life....after a diet.

There's some good information here....
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/13-ways-to-fight-sugar-cravings
  • jonrenly
    jonrenly Posts: 116 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

erm I agree with the rest of your post but this isn't true. you can get addicted to virtually anything.

• zamphir66
    zamphir66 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    jonrenly wrote: »

erm I agree with the rest of your post but this isn't true. you can get addicted to virtually anything.

There's a difference between an addiction and just really really liking something, which is what most people mean when they use the phrase "sugar addiction." No one has destroyed their families or their own lives because of sugar. No one can say, "I lost my job and house, because ... sugar."

Sugar, like most nutrients, triggers pleasure pathways because eating is good and it keeps you alive. That is not the same thing as addiction.

• jonrenly
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »

There's a difference between an addiction and just really really liking something, which is what most people mean when they use the phrase "sugar addiction." No one has destroyed their families or their own lives because of sugar. No one can say, "I lost my job and house, because ... sugar."

Sugar, like most nutrients, triggers pleasure pathways because eating is good and it keeps you alive. That is not the same thing as addiction.

obviously theres a difference. The prerequisite for an addiction is not that it totally destroys your entire life either. Theres really liking something and then theres relying on it heavily in an unhealthy emotional way. Its possible to become dependent on anything, like I said. To flat out say theres no such thing as a sugar or ____ addiction is simply untrue.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »

Well said.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

http://www.asam.org/for-the-public/definition-of-addiction
    Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-sugar-addiction

I REALLY like chocolate.....but there is no 12 step program. There is no "detoxing" or pharmaceutical remedy for chocolate lovers. Although "detoxes" and "cleanses" are popular weight loss fads right now.
  • jonrenly
    edited July 2015
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in an individual pathologically pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors.

I REALLY like chocolate.....but there is no 12 step program. There is no "detoxing" or pharmaceutical remedy for chocolate lovers. Although "detoxes" and "cleanses" are popular weight loss fads right now.

Neither of these links disprove my point. Your first is simply a definition and the second one says it "may" not be an addiction.

For some people their response to sugar shares characteristics with other forms of addiction. Don't discount other peoples experience because you think its simply an impulse control problem.

And I'm not sure what the existence of an established support program has got to do with whether or not something is legitimate.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Neither of these links disprove my point. Your first is simply a definition and the second one says it "may" not be an addiction.

For some people their response to sugar shares characteristics with other forms of addiction. Don't discount other peoples experience because you think its simply an impulse control problem.

Petting puppies also "shares characteristics with other forms of addiction." That does not mean that you can get addicted to petting puppies.

Sugar tastes good. We like to eat foods that taste good. A lot of people have issues with eating too much food that tastes good. That does not mean that we are addicted to any of those foods.
  • Suzmp88
    Suzmp88 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    OP - similar to nvsmomketo I recommend at least learning about keto diets or something like South Beach diet. When I'm craving something sweet I can't stop at just one serving so I've found it best that I cut out most high carb and sugar foods.

South Beach asks you to cut out carbohydrates and sugars for 2 weeks - "Phase 1". Keep in mind there are plenty of low carb desserts you can purchase or make - so you won't be denied some sweetness. After Phase 1 you incorporate whole wheat pastas and low sugar fruit like cantaloupe. Phase 3 is when you can start incorporating back a regular amount of high carb and sugar foods. The point is to retrain how you view food (pleasure vs nutrition). Sugar cravings decrease greatly and you'll find that even low sugar foods will satisfy your sweet tooth.

Here is a link to the Low-Carb group on MFP that has a lot of good beginner info: community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    lynngree wrote: »
    Hi I've come back to myfitnesspal because I'm determined to loose weight become healthy an keep the weight off, but I could really use help an advice of quitting sugar from my diet because I eat far too much.

Assuming your in the US - it's a common issue as we dump sugar and salt on everything. Travel outside the US and you really notice it.

You have to "reset your taste for sweet". Try going sugar free for a week if it bothers you. It may help you reduce your cravings for the sweet.

When it comes to weight loss it doesn't matter where the calories come from; however sugar and salt are hunger triggers, so resetting your taste for both may help you control your appetite.
  • jonrenly
    Options

Petting puppies also "shares characteristics with other forms of addiction." That does not mean that you can get addicted to petting puppies.

Sugar tastes good. We like to eat foods that taste good. A lot of people have issues with eating too much food that tastes good. That does not mean that we are addicted to any of those foods.

Congrats to you for never having faced a food addiction of any kind but that doesn't mean your experience extends to anyone else, doc.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Congrats to you for never having faced a food addiction of any kind but that doesn't mean your experience extends to anyone else, doc.

I had a problem with eating too much food for a long time. Especially cookies, ice cream, chocolate, and Little Debbies. I have a weakness for sweets. I would have never in a million years said "I am addicted to sugar." I had to realize that I had the power to control what goes into my mouth. Blaming something like sugar is a cop-out and it takes the responsibility off of the individual and onto the food, which is nonsense.

I do recognize that people with an eating disorder, such as BED, are different in that regard; however, the average overeater is just an overeater, not a binger or an addict. People with disorders are exceptions rather than rules.

So, as far as saying that my experience doesn't extend to anyone else, I'd say that my experience extends to most people. The people with disordered eating who blame specific foods like sugar are projecting their experiences onto everyone else.
  • jonrenly
    edited July 2015
    Options

I had a problem with eating too much food for a long time. Especially cookies, ice cream, chocolate, and Little Debbies. I have a weakness for sweets. I would have never in a million years said "I am addicted to sugar." I had to realize that I had the power to control what goes into my mouth. Blaming something like sugar is a cop-out and it takes the responsibility off of the individual and onto the food, which is nonsense.

I do recognize that people with an eating disorder, such as BED, are different in that regard; however, the average overeater is just an overeater, not a binger or an addict. People with disorders are exceptions rather than rules.

So, as far as saying that my experience doesn't extend to anyone else, I'd say that my experience extends to most people. The people with disordered eating who blame specific foods like sugar are projecting their experiences onto everyone else.

Re: the bold, I agree, and not once in this entire thread did I ever imply that this wasn't true. Of course people who take an extreme, unhealthy, obsessive fixation to and emotional reliance on food or whatever else are the minority, the vast majority of people don't ever truly reach that point. My point is that those people who fit in that very small percentage have an experience as real and legitimate as anyone elses, and its wrong to deny they exist or imply that they're lying to themselves.