Why do people act like eating is a chore?

Options

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I eat roughly 1200-1300 calories a day and I can tell you I, personally, have a hard time eating more than that. My TDEE is 1500. I have no idea how I am supposed to eat that many calories in one day. I usually don't eat breakfast (Taboo, I know, but I don't), I eat lunch, snack, dinner, snack (I'm a night person). For lunch, I'll usually have half a chicken breast in a salad, carrots, half an apple, and maybe two bottles of water. For supper I'll have whatever my mother in law makes and maybe two or more bottles of water. For snack I usually eat some dry cereal (my favourite), maybe yogurt, maybe some fruits/vegetables. After all that, I'm usually pretty stuffed. I don't even get hungry throughout the day at all, I just know it's time for me to eat, so I do. I don't understand how you can eat 2300 calories! That's seems like a lot too me! Haha.

yep for some people 1100-1300 is ok to eat. when I say some, its around 15%. you may well be part of the 15% but 85% arn't so theres a lot of people, usually girls, who shouldn't be eating that low. that is statistical information from the largest BMR study to date.
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Eh. It can happen. Yesterday I ate salad, spinach, cucumbers, bacon, and chicken all day (With a spinach, banana, strawberry, and protein shake for dessert) and I was stuffed at 1400 and had to throw in two pumpkin brownies to get up to 1500. My diary page that day was twice as long as it was today. So if you eat nothing but fruit and veggies and lean protein all day, sure you can get full on 1200.

Then again, I was 48g under my fat macro so I won't be repeating that little experiment. I'll go back to eating cheese and butter and beef, lol. So basically they're full on 1200 because they're so intent on 'clean' eating they eat a bunch of stuff with no real caloric content.

Or we eat that way because we find it's the only way to control our medical condition.

Your medical condition doesn't allow you to eat foods that are both nutrient dense and calorie dense?

Not really...if you look at my diary I am monitoring potassium. If I don't get the full daily recommended allowance then my BP goes up. It's not easy trying to learn what foods to eat to meet the needs of a medical condition and all the other nutrients. I've been messing with my diet for months trying to keep my blood pressure under control. I was taking 3 medications previously and they made me feel terrible. I did up my calories but I am stuffing myself forcing myself to eat when I'm not hungry just to try and meet all my needs. My point is that you don't know what people are going thru or why they eat the way they do. It also has to fit into my job. It's got to be something easy and that won't be wasted if my pager suddenly goes off when I'm trying to fix a meal. There are a lot of variables that each individual has in their own life that people on here aren't aware of. People shouldn't start threads criticizing others when they don't know anything about a person.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

Well, its just that, many of the people on here complaining that its hard to eat an extra 100 calories, somehow ate over their TDEE and gained weight in the first place..

yah its like wtf, how did you get fat in the first place? I find the whole "ermahgerd, I need to eat an extra 300 calories, help!" crap totally retarded. 300cals is easy, just go eat some nuts. hahahaha.

go eat all kinds a nuts!
  • SkinnyMusic
    Options
    Everyone is different. I get full easily with lower calories. I have a smaller body and stomach. Can't hold much lol.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I can eat any combination of lean, clean, healthy foods, and 1200 would in no way suffice for me, and I am middle aged. I, personally, believe very few need to be eating 1200, and also do not believe the body is always the best judge for whether the body needs more food. Anorexics lose the ability to experience hunger after a time, should they continue listening out for their hunger and only eating when hungry? Your body adapts to what you give it. I eat 2200-3000 calories a day, in general. I am quite active. I have hypothyroidism too and COPD. I see women on here of 4'11 eating 2200 calories a day. Short of surgery or specific medical issues, I there are a crapload of people on here eating far less than their body needs, in my opinion.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options

Well, its just that, many of the people on here complaining that its hard to eat an extra 100 calories, somehow ate over their TDEE and gained weight in the first place..

yah its like wtf, how did you get fat in the first place? I find the whole "ermahgerd, I need to eat an extra 300 calories, help!" crap totally retarded. 300cals is easy, just go eat some nuts. hahahaha.

go eat all kinds a nuts!

^^ Totally agree.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    It is the second most ridiculous first world problem, complaining about having a hard time eating enough. The ultimate fwp being, complaining how hard it is to drink water.

ETA: This assumes no medical issues.
    Well, its just that, many of the people on here complaining that its hard to eat an extra 100 calories, somehow ate over their TDEE and gained weight in the first place.. Understanding that they became more aware of the calories in foods and what keeps them full longer. But still, regardless of 1000 calories of junk or of healthy food, your body is still throwing out signals because its lacking energy.

I wonder if its reverse psychology ? Tell yourself you aren't hungry and you dont feel as hungry?

Nope, it isn't about telling myself I'm not hungry. It's about not being physically to eat more than about 1000 calories most days, or I will vomit. Some days I can eat more than others, and I'm trying to find more calorie dense foods. I want to take off this wieght, but I know if I don't eat enough it will be much more difficult.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Nope, it isn't about telling myself I'm not hungry. It's about not being physically to eat more than about 1000 calories most days, or I will vomit. Some days I can eat more than others, and I'm trying to find more calorie dense foods. I want to take off this wieght, but I know if I don't eat enough it will be much more difficult.

How did you become overweight if you can't eat over 1000 calories without vomiting?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Eh. It can happen. Yesterday I ate salad, spinach, cucumbers, bacon, and chicken all day (With a spinach, banana, strawberry, and protein shake for dessert) and I was stuffed at 1400 and had to throw in two pumpkin brownies to get up to 1500. My diary page that day was twice as long as it was today. So if you eat nothing but fruit and veggies and lean protein all day, sure you can get full on 1200.

Then again, I was 48g under my fat macro so I won't be repeating that little experiment. I'll go back to eating cheese and butter and beef, lol. So basically they're full on 1200 because they're so intent on 'clean' eating they eat a bunch of stuff with no real caloric content.

Or we eat that way because we find it's the only way to control our medical condition.

Your medical condition doesn't allow you to eat foods that are both nutrient dense and calorie dense?

Not really...if you look at my diary I am monitoring potassium. If I don't get the full daily recommended allowance then my BP goes up. It's not easy trying to learn what foods to eat to meet the needs of a medical condition and all the other nutrients. I've been messing with my diet for months trying to keep my blood pressure under control. I was taking 3 medications previously and they made me feel terrible. I did up my calories but I am stuffing myself forcing myself to eat when I'm not hungry just to try and meet all my needs. My point is that you don't know what people are going thru or why they eat the way they do. It also has to fit into my job. It's got to be something easy and that won't be wasted if my pager suddenly goes off when I'm trying to fix a meal. There are a lot of variables that each individual has in their own life that people on here aren't aware of. People shouldn't start threads criticizing others when they don't know anything about a person.

Well for one you eat just as much as I do (around 1600) and I doubt there are often people who critique the way you eat. second I'm unaware of any medical condition that stops people from eating healthy calorie dense food. Why eat a million pounds of carrots when you could just have a darn sweet potato (and have room in your stomach for some tasty meat or beans!) Except of course the carrots will have you clock less calories in the end.
  • DarthGibbles89
    DarthGibbles89 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For myself personally, I've grown up all my life eating minimal food. And now with health problems, I can't bring myself to eat. I'm just not hungry much.

You know when you get hungry, you're supposed to get that growling, rumbly feeling? I don't get that very often. It's hard to explain, but my stomach and metabolism is just different. I'm struggling to gain weight- not lose it. I mean, it must be nice to worry about losing it. Everytime I lose a pound, I freak out a little inside. Maybe I'm not the only one with this problem, but this is just me.

I wonder the exact opposite though: how can people eat over 2,000 calories in a day?
  • ncmedic201
    ncmedic201 Posts: 540 Member
    Options

Well for one you eat just as much as I do (around 1600) and I doubt there are often people who critique the way you eat. second I'm unaware of any medical condition that stops people from eating healthy calorie dense food. Why eat a million pounds of carrots when you could just have a darn sweet potato (and have room in your stomach for some tasty meat or beans!) Except of course the carrots will have you clock less calories in the end.

As I stated, I had to up my calories just to try and meet all my needs but it doesn't make eating any easier. Some days I just want to throw up trying to get enough food in. I don't eat a million pounds of carrots. I really don't eat many carrots at all. Beans are good and high in potassium but I can't eat beans every single day. I have to learn how to eat a variety of foods. Not to mention, I ate an entire cup of lentils the other day and that's still only 230 calories. I can't live on beans and sweet potatoes alone. And potatoes are very filling. I ate a baked potatoe for lunch and a small piece of chicken. I was full after just the potatoe but I need to try and add more protein in my diet too so I forced myself to eat the chicken. Not everyone wants to eat so much they are going to feel sick. I'll do it for now until I can figure this out because my BP is that important to me but I can't do this every day long term.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options

Vegetables + meat = carbs + protein
    Fullness = protein + fat.

Eat fats.)
    I saw you post this somewhere else earlier today and I thought about it.
    A few days ago I had a protein binge. I ate over 3000 calories of Chicken breast and Hamburgers, but the hamburgers were 10% fat, I wonder if thats why they weren't so filling ? I ate like three or four of them (spread out, obviously) but usually I'm ok with just one (20% though).
    I must admit, I'm not big on fatty pieces of meat, I usually cut it off and pork loin isn't' a favorite of mine unless covered in yoshidas and with a big heaping of rice on the side. :blushing:

The only protein/fat foods I can think of are nuts and peanut butter, but I'd get sick of eating the food faster than i would being full of it.

What about cooking your vegetables in olive oil or coconut oil, eating seeds and avocados, eggs, whole milk, and other full fat dairy?
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Not me, I love eating. It's what made me have awful FB photos.
  • dryvonnesmith
    dryvonnesmith Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Interesting that you would ask that question. For the first time in my life, I was full on 1,200 calories today. Actually I went 4 calories over for a total of 1,204. I was on the Dukan Diet for quite a while and ate large amount of proteins, no fruit, and loads of veggies. I lost the weight and the fat and never got hungry. The down side...my cholesterol went up. I am now, in an effort to stabilize and get my body in balance, as it learns to metabolize carbs, fats, and proteins, on a medically supervised diet. Thus, my 1,200 calories a day. But if you look at what I ate, you will understand why I was completely full. I am now mandated to eat legumes each day....so I made a Black Bean Dip (yummmmm) and ate it with carrots. I had plenty of salmon, I had quinoa along with broccoli and a big salad for dinner. The salad dressing was made from avocado, nonfat yogurt and lime juice (yummm). I did cheat with a half cup of ice cream, but.....all in all, I am full. I also had two servings of fruit today. I am to eat three meals and three snacks a day. Eating whole foods (only one grain a day), this really is ample. So, to answer you question, I guess you can get filled on 1,200 by eating loads of whole foods, protein, and healthy fats (i.e. the avocado). Today I never got a chance to eat my mandated serving of nuts per day....perhaps it is because I cheated with the ice cream (smile).
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options

How did you become overweight if you can't eat over 1000 calories without vomiting?

That was then, this is now.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I don't have that problem at all now!

However, years ago, after eating low calories (800), I struggled to eat normally. We (everybody seemed to be dieting then) used to say that our stomachs had shrunk. I don't know if that was literally true. But I could not eat a normal-sized meal. I felt stuffed after a few mouthfuls.

I also struggled when I was depressed (many years ago). Food seemed tasteless, swallowing felt difficult and chewing was tiring. I did eat, but it definitely felt like a chore.

So although it doesn't affect me now, I can understand why some people might genuinely find it a chore to eat. If my experience is anything to go by, it could be that they haven't been eating enough and now feel full too soon. I think there can also be a psychological element when dieting - you DO want the food, but you convince yourself that you don't because that feels more virtuous. Again, speaking from personal experience, I think these psychological symptoms might be brought on by not eating enough. Or it could be depression or other medical condtions such as anaemia, etc.
  • grggmrtn
    grggmrtn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I THOUGHT I had this problem, but in the end it's going to be alright.

What happened was, that I had refused myself HEALTHY foods that had higher calories. Now that I have to eat more, I'm adding more almonds, coconut milk (low fat), chick peas, lentils and such to my diet, and voilà - I get the calories, but in a good healthy way.

So yeah, it's TOUGH, but only if I imagine that more calories = MORE chicken breasts and steamed vegetables.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    As for the 'I don't understand how people got fat in the first place' comments, I find that incredibly presumptious, for all you know those people may never have been fat in their life- not everyone is on mfp to lose weight! Not to mention the fact that some people have medical problems that have led to weight gain!

Personally before I started my weightloss journey I was incredibly ignorant about food and exercise, but having more knowledge has led to a complete overhaul. I now understand what is in food, so I make better choices, which means weightloss as I am not eating as many calories.

I personally don't struggle to eat 1200 cals anymore, I used too, I started off being very strict, and now being more relaxed I don't struggle at all. I actually don't worry too much about calories everyday, I listen to my body, and if I want something specific I have it, just not a crazy amount like I used too. It all balances out at the end of the week. And this is a normal, healthy approach. Sometimes I feel that people get a little too obsessed with mfp, and as someone that wants this to be a lifestyle change, I would not like to log or count calories for the rest of my life, therefore it is important to understand portion control and generally how to have a balanced, healthy diet.

I think that learning moderation can be a hard journey. It's easy to get fat, and most of the time it's easy to be on a strict diet, until life gets in the way. And then it's about understanding moderation, which takes time and is a true lifestyle change. It takes self control and determination to learn, and people are at different stages of this journey, and they shouldn't be judged for that.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Think people are forgetting volume, if you have a plate of chocolate and a plate of salad/veg with lean meat.

which one is going to have the most calories dispite being the same 'size' which is what most of our bellies go off. oh lets not forget you dont actually chew chocolate all that much to eat it, so you end up missing your body saying 'i am full stop eating' until its all gone

My stomach cant handle as much food as i used to, just like people stomachs expand after gastric band, it can get smaller too if you arent constantly filling it.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    All I can say is I really envy the people who get full eating at a deficit because they'll never gain their weight back... right?