Why do people act like eating is a chore?

Replies

• foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Do you really think the calorie requirement of an 18 yo female is the same as a middle age woman?

I am 48 years olds and 5'4". I can easily eat 2300 calories, and as long as I stay active, I do not gain. I weigh 133 lbs.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,462 Member
    All I can say is I really envy the people who get full eating at a deficit because they'll never gain their weight back... right?

In my experience, that's not correct. Speaking from experience, I think it's likely that the conditions that make them feel full early will eventually change and/or they'll be able to "train" themselves to eat more. And again speaking from experience, it's not something to envy. I wish I didn't get hungry so much, but I'd rather that than go back to struggling to eat, to be honest.
  • FreddyObrian
    FreddyObrian Posts: 17 Member
    It's something to learn, but I too would die on a 1200 calorie diet, lol. My first meal of the day is usually 400 calories short of that right now :p Eating at a caloric deficit is a mind game, especially that low, which I probably wouldn't recommend to people, unless they're really really petite maybe? :p
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    All I can say is I really envy the people who get full eating at a deficit because they'll never gain their weight back... right?

In my experience, that's not correct. Speaking from experience, I think it's likely that the conditions that make them feel full early will eventually change and/or they'll be able to "train" themselves to eat more. And again speaking from experience, it's not something to envy. I wish I didn't get hungry so much, but I'd rather that than go back to struggling to eat, to be honest.

I will gladly struggle for you all.
  • KaydeForce
    KaydeForce Posts: 96 Member
    It's really "funny" to see replies from people who have 50-100lbs more to lose (!) and still say "I don't understand how anyone can eat 2,000 kcal... I'm stuffed after 1,200" etc...
    So how exactly did you get overweight if you're stuffed after 1,200 kcal?
    Am I the only one who thinks that's ridiculous?

For myself: I love my food. And I love my sweets. That's the reason why I became that heavy. I have to restrict myself to stick with 1,300-1,500 kcal a day. I don't feel starved, but I don't feel super full either on an average day.
  • ferocityturbine
    ferocityturbine Posts: 110 Member
    In the UK there's a TV programme 'Supersize vs. Superskinny" where they diet swap an overweight person with an underweight person to show them how their eating habits have affected their perception of 'hungry' and 'full'. Your body adapts to a quantity of food and then that seems like the right amount.

I had a friend who lost 20lbs and dropped down to a tiny 98lbs eating only 700kcal a day. I remember her telling me how she just couldn't image how she could eat 2000kcal a day anymore... When I next saw her 9 months later she'd gained 35lbs. I think her body definitely remembered how to fit 2000kcal in once she got off the starvation diet.

As for myself, I never eat to feeling stuffed because I hate the feeling and stop way before that. I managed to gain weight by eating lots of calorie dense foods like chocolate and cheesecake. I wanted to be able to eat more without that full feeling, so I'd always choose the calorie dense foods. I was never stuffed, but I sure could fit in a lot of calories!
  • littlelouis
    littlelouis Posts: 54 Member
    I'm quite petite at 109 pounds so I think I might have some insight on this. Let me put it this way. Eating enough is a chore for me most days. Either I genuinely feel full at around 900 calories, or it's hard for me to find calorie dense foods around the house that are actually healthy. If I still consistently ate junk food, then no, eating wouldn't be a chore. But for some people, I think constantly tracking and trying to balance macros and what not can become boring, so they would rather just give up on the whole process. If I had the choice to eat 2,000 calories of whatever I wanted and not gain a pound, I would. But that's just not an option for me, so maybe I cope with that by having the mindset that eating can't actually be enjoyable. It all comes down to the individual person and their circumstances.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    It can also depend on mood/health. When I am under a lot of stress or when I'm not feeling well my appetite will crash to nothing. When nothing sounds even remotely appetizing and you aren't hungry, it can be very difficult to talk yourself into eating at all, let alone eating enough.
  • Oodalolly
    Oodalolly Posts: 3
    Are you logging your exercise? You can eat a lot more and still lose weight if you log your exercise!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    calorie dense foods around the house that are actually healthy.

What distinguishes calorie dense foods that are "actually healthy" from ones that are not?
  • littlelouis
    littlelouis Posts: 54 Member
    calorie dense foods around the house that are actually healthy.

What distinguishes calorie dense foods that are "actually healthy" from ones that are not?

I'll eat unhealthily sometimes, but if I would allow myself to eat unhealhy calorie dense foods more often, I wouldn't be able to control myself and stop when enough is enough. I would rather just go all out on healthy food unless it's a special occasion.
  • GnomeLove
    GnomeLove Posts: 379
    Whelp...I wish I had that problem...It has yet to happen to me though. I have the appetite of a lumberjack.
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member

Vegetables + meat = carbs + protein
    Fullness = protein + fat.

Eat fats.)
    I saw you post this somewhere else earlier today and I thought about it.
    A few days ago I had a protein binge. I ate over 3000 calories of Chicken breast and Hamburgers, but the hamburgers were 10% fat, I wonder if thats why they weren't so filling ? I ate like three or four of them (spread out, obviously) but usually I'm ok with just one (20% though).
    I must admit, I'm not big on fatty pieces of meat, I usually cut it off and pork loin isn't' a favorite of mine unless covered in yoshidas and with a big heaping of rice on the side. :blushing:

The only protein/fat foods I can think of are nuts and peanut butter, but I'd get sick of eating the food faster than i would being full of it.

Healthy Fats: avacado, butter, olive oil, coconut oil, cheese, cottage cheese, fat containing meats or fish, nuts, peanut butter, tuna
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Do you really think the calorie requirement of an 18 yo female is the same as a middle age woman?

I'm 41 years old, 5'5 and when I'm at about 130 pounds, my maintenance is 2300. I'm currently eating 2000 calories a day to lose a little.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    It's really "funny" to see replies from people who have 50-100lbs more to lose (!) and still say "I don't understand how anyone can eat 2,000 kcal... I'm stuffed after 1,200" etc...

For myself: I love my food. And I love my sweets. That's the reason why I became that heavy. I have to restrict myself to stick with 1,300-1,500 kcal a day. I don't feel starved, but I don't feel super full either on an average day.

Because now we're eating different kinds of food. Before it was junk that didn't hold fullness for very long, so like in my case I could eat and eat and eat, all of my meals packed on a ton of extra cals just from the way I cooked them (loved cooking with a ton of butter) So I took meals that would normally be 1000+ and turned them into 400-500 cals, but when you do that it doesnt change the fact your still eating the same amount of protien for that 1000 cal meal vs the 400-500 one, meaning I now have to eat several more meals with that same "change" in order to even match what I would have eaten in one sitting. It's actually because of this I love eating healthy now, I'm almost always full, and I'm losing at a good rate, where as before, my thought was that omg if I'm this hungry after eating only eating a couple of meals a day how the heck am I supposed to cut back? skip dinner? But now I"ve learned that eating healthy leaves room to eat even more food than I was eating before :) To be honest, it seems like being healthy and in shape is going to be a lot easier, eat more food, and feel great while doing it :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    eating disorders, not foodies like u and me.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    There are some HANGRY people on here.

Like someone said protein + fat = fullness
    so here, have some bacon
    tumblr_mkqjpvPA7i1s5orbto1_500.gif

I had salad for lunch today and I'm stuffed!!
    Salad for me = Mixed greens and veggies with avocado, hard boiled eggs, sunflower seeds, goat cheese, pesto chicken
  • kkclif
    kkclif Posts: 155 Member

Am I the only one who thinks its ridiculous how many people are saying this? Your body changes..your stomach shrinks..you view food differently than you did before.
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Whelp...I wish I had that problem...It has yet to happen to me though. I have the appetite of a lumberjack.

hahaha!! Me too! I always get the Lumberjack breakfast when we go out for breakfast. I always wish i could eat for a living.

I believe its a mental thing. People are so afraid they will gain weight if they eat. I know, cuz I have done it before. I will never do it again. I don't buy the whole "I cant eat more than 1200 calories" nonsense. Yes you can. You have mentally trained yourself to never eat more than 1200 (or whatever the goal is). I rarely eat below 2000 calories and could very easily eat more. When are people going to realize that 1200 calories a day is not sustainable forever???? Im not taking a few months, or even years, i would like to hear back from some people in 10 years, and see if they are still happily eating 1200 calories a day.
  • dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 98 Member
    personally, i love to eat and it is never a "chore" lol. but a like to save most of my cals for later in the day so that supper is my biggest meal. so sometimes, i eat too little during the day because i get nervous that i will be hungry later if i eat too many cals earlier in the day. then the night comes and i am full after a huge supper but still have a bunch of cals left, cals that i could have easily eaten during the day.
    just another explanation for why this may happen.