Why losing weight feels so effortless for me this time around.

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    elleelise wrote: »
    Glad some of you found this helpful! It's made all the difference in my approach this time.
    Great post! I dunno about the whole self-love-is-necessary-for-weight-loss,though. I lost weight because I was disgusted about myself and hated how I looked. Also, I couldn't find pretty clothes that fit and looked good on me. I used that as motivation instead of self-love. I was still successful. I still lost the weight. Plus, I love how I look now. Not saying that your view is incorrect, just that self-love isn't totally VITAL to weight loss.

Loving oneself unconditionally isn't vital for weight loss, you are correct. It is vital for living a fulfilling life. It is vital for being content. It is vital for MENTAL WELLNESS and wellbeing, which I believe is infinitely important (I'd argue, even more important than how thin you are.) Furthermore, people with heavier gravitational pulls and excess fat deserve to love themselves and enjoy life just as much as anyone else. You CAN buy fabulous clothes at a size 26, so let's dispel that myth once and for all. You CAN live life to its fullest. You CAN be wanted by members of the opposite sex, and HAVE fabulous sex. And if you're happy in your skin and with who you are, you are going to be more likely to want to care for yourself and make positive choices. Intention is important.

And I'm going to give you some words of love and wisdom that I WISH someone told me earlier:

Disgust and self-hate begets disgust and self-hate, which will follow you around like a heavy shadow whether you are a size 2 or a size 22. If you don't deal with your self-hate while in a larger body, one day, after you've reached your "goal weight" it'll sweep in and eclipse you, and in my case, perpetuated the binge/diet cycle.

Self-hatred doesn't cease to exist the moment you lose weight. Best of luck to you friend! <3

55ebaccd614021eac2e1ce4f79bf84e7.jpg
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I agree with you 100% and have been following a similar mindset this time around. It's amazing what a difference it makes to love your body through the process and to fully enjoy food and movement.
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I greatly enjoyed reading your post. Full of good advice.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    What a great bump. Glad I got to see it. #2 is sorta kinda how I got started. Not necessarily just exercise, but I added in healthy habits and foods months before making the decision to count calories and take off weight. I knew I could at least do something to help take care of my body even if dealing with my weight yet again seemed impossible.
  • elleelise
    elleelise Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! So many folks have been adding me because of this post and it is nice to be making so many positive friends on MyFitnessPal. Just an update: Have lost 32 pounds slowly since April. Still lifting weights, feeding myself nourishing (and sometimes not nourishing) foods, but most importantly, not obsessing about food (or calories) really, and losing steadily through small changes, caring for myself, and finding passion in physical movement.

Loving yourself unconditionally is indeed the first step. If you can't get on board with who who are NOW, then be prepared for a life of yo-yo dieting and heartache because you won't be any happier when you reach that "goal weight."
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Awesome -- congratulations, and many thanks for articulating it so well for all of us!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Great post, and I'm glad you are still around, OP. I missed this the first time.
    What a great bump. Glad I got to see it. #2 is sorta kinda how I got started. Not necessarily just exercise, but I added in healthy habits and foods months before making the decision to count calories and take off weight. I knew I could at least do something to help take care of my body even if dealing with my weight yet again seemed impossible.

This is similar to what I did. I couldn't believe that I could actually control my weight, since it felt out of control and I'd never tried to lose before, but I knew I could control whether or not I ate really well and exercised, so I just told myself I would be as healthy as I could be. The weight loss of course came with it, but it was helpful to have that to hold onto before I believed it would, and also gave me things to focus on besides the scale.
  • LionessWhispers
    LionessWhispers Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Glad I got to see this post! Bumping it so even more people can enjoy it!
  • bethclabburn
    bethclabburn Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ok, I don't want this offend any one or cause any argument. Please someone explain to me if you love yourself why you'd want to change yourself?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Ok, I don't want this offend any one or cause any argument. Please someone explain to me if you love yourself why you'd want to change yourself?

I think you misunderstood what the OP meant. She's referring to be able to be at peace with who you are at any size, and not expect weight loss to be the solution to problems with self-esteem or self-worth. Some people have an expectation that everything in their lives is going to be better once they lose the weight, and often find that things are pretty much the same with a smaller number on the clothing tag. If you wait to love yourself until everything is "perfect," you're probably going to spend a lot of time being miserable.
  • bethclabburn
    Options
    Ok but what if the problems actually are all because of weight/image?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Good post although I could never say my weight loss journey was effortless!
    It takes planning ahead with meals ...it takes getting up early every morning to work out..and being consistent. ... BUT SO TOTALLY WORTH IT :smiley: (maintaining goal weight for 2+yrs here :smile: )
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Ok but what if the problems actually are all because of weight/image?

Could you elaborate with some examples?
  • bethclabburn
    Options
    Bit personal but ok...

Like how I don't feel like I look nice in tight clothes and I know that a flat stomach will change that.

Or how when I wear shorts to the gym I chafe and I know that smaller legs will change that.

Or how when my bra cuts into my back I get what I call 'back boobs' and I know that less body fat will change that.

In my opinion when all those change I will be much happier and comfortable, therefore changing my attitude/making me more confident. Then I will love myself.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Bit personal but ok...

Like how I don't feel like I look nice in tight clothes and I know that a flat stomach will change that.

Or how when I wear shorts to the gym I chafe and I know that smaller legs will change that.

Or how when my bra cuts into my back I get what I call 'back boobs' and I know that less body fat will change that.

In my opinion when all those change I will be much happier and comfortable, therefore changing my attitude/making me more confident. Then I will love myself.

The OP is saying you need to love yourself for who you are inside. If you don't, you won't give a damn what you look like on the outside. You won't think you're worth putting effort into.

When I started with MFP, I was saying I think I'm pretty awesome, and I deserve the best for myself.

If you don't think you deserve the things you want, you'll never have a chance of getting what you want.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Bit personal but ok...

The OP is saying you need to love yourself for who you are inside. If you don't, you won't give a damn what you look like on the outside. You won't think you're worth putting effort into.

When I started with MFP, I was saying I think I'm pretty awesome, and I deserve the best for myself.

If you don't think you deserve the things you want, you'll never have a chance of getting what you want.

Exactly this.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Bit personal but ok...

Alas, if one is prone to negative self talk, losing weight won't change that. You Can Heal Your Life is a good video about negative self talk. It was available in my library system, so maybe yours too.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Options
    Some people have an issue with #2 and I guess I can see why. Because calories are really what matters. But I will say...

I am far more motivated to keep going on my calorie counting when I'm physically active. It's a huge mood booster and it makes me feel like I'm actively working on losing weight instead of just counting cals and hoping it works. I come home after a long walk and feel accomplished like "ahhhh yeah. That should make a nice little dent in my calorie deficit. I did good work today!"
  • littleb0peep
    littleb0peep Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Awesome post! :)
  • nikki46vsgjourney
    nikki46vsgjourney Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH !! I needed that so much.