I only eat one meal a day.

Options

Replies

• Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    So your parents are paying for food? Do they not listen to your requests for healthier foods?

Do they not support you?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    OP's gone. Just saying.

• JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love how none of these strawman-throwing people ever suggest eating only broccoli. It would kill you way more quickly than eating only pop tarts.

Fine do broccoli the point still stands.
  • JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    JoshLibby wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    The point is it's a moot point - nobody eats just that. I've answered your question about weight loss in and of itself leading to improved health markers. Other issues the individual may wish to work with their doctor, not snake oil salesmen about "detoxifying". If you want to eat nutritious food, do it. It's not a prerequisite for weight loss. And we still don't know what the OP meant by "cannot afford to eat more than once per day" because she didn't explicitly clarify it

You make no point once you or anyone says: calorie in vs calorie out. It either matters or not.

For weight loss, it doesn't matter. Period.

This is easily proved by fasting. If you consume zero nutrients, you will lose weight. It is not healthy to consume zero healthful substances. Ergo, it is possible to lose weight without a healthy diet.

A person can lose weight by putting their finger down there throat and start vomiting but that is not good advice. What is the point of losing weight if you're still unhealthy?
    I'm having a hard time eating healthy, I can only afford to eat once a day, and when It comes time to eat it's usually unhealthy, I don't buy the food, so I have no control over what there is to eat. Any advice, like cheap healthy meals to make.

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Get a job. Buy some food.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    The point is it's a moot point - nobody eats just that. I've answered your question about weight loss in and of itself leading to improved health markers. Other issues the individual may wish to work with their doctor, not snake oil salesmen about "detoxifying". If you want to eat nutritious food, do it. It's not a prerequisite for weight loss. And we still don't know what the OP meant by "cannot afford to eat more than once per day" because she didn't explicitly clarify it

You make no point once you or anyone says: calorie in vs calorie out. It either matters or not.

For weight loss, it doesn't matter. Period.

This is easily proved by fasting. If you consume zero nutrients, you will lose weight. It is not healthy to consume zero healthful substances. Ergo, it is possible to lose weight without a healthy diet.

A person can lose weight by putting their finger down there throat and start vomiting but that is not good advice. What is the point of losing weight if you're still unhealthy?
    I'm having a hard time eating healthy, I can only afford to eat once a day, and when It comes time to eat it's usually unhealthy, I don't buy the food, so I have no control over what there is to eat. Any advice, like cheap healthy meals to make.

I don't believe she ever came back to clarify any of that. For example some people believe rice is unhealthy. For all we know there might be great food in her house but some article or post on the interwebs told her it wasn't healthy
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    OP's gone. Just saying.

No wonder.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Heads up to anyone who might ask a similar question. If you need help eating on a budget, don't go into why, or you'll get a schwack of criticism from some corners (not all). Keep personal details about your situation to yourself.

Also, don't talk about wanting to be healthy. Talk about micronutrient balance instead.

I have seen a few threads like this and they mostly go the same way. Poor people aren't allowed to want to be healthy (how dare they, when they're poor; why would they, when ONE meal of McDicks should be good enough, no such thing as junk food, etc etc etc). Poor people should work harder. Etc etc etc.

It's gross.

I was happy (and honestly surprised) to see a few more constructive responses in the mix, but it's no shock the OP saw fit to leave.

On what planet is ONE MEAL A DAY acceptable for a human being who is not trying to do that on purpose. Well this one i guess.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Get a job. Buy some food.

She said a few posts later she just got a job.

Also, I wouldn't quite say she's gone yet. Many times they don't come back until days later when the thread is buried.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Heads up to anyone who might ask a similar question. If you need help eating on a budget, don't go into why, or you'll get a schwack of criticism from some corners (not all). Keep personal details about your situation to yourself.

Also, don't talk about wanting to be healthy. Talk about micronutrient balance instead.

I have seen a few threads like this and they mostly go the same way. Poor people aren't allowed to want to be healthy (how dare they, when they're poor; why would they, when ONE meal of McDicks should be good enough, no such thing as junk food, etc etc etc). Poor people should work harder. Etc etc etc.

It's gross.

I was happy (and honestly surprised) to see a few more constructive responses in the mix, but it's no shock the OP saw fit to leave.

On what planet is ONE MEAL A DAY acceptable for a human being who is not trying to do that on purpose. Well this one i guess.

The responses you're complaining about give her more options - not less. She's got the options for eating on a budget (which some of us are still confused as to whether that's her true problem), and unless you're volunteering to buy food for her, if she truly still cannot "afford" to eat more than once per day, what do you want her to do, roll over and die? Besides, she's not the only one reading or that might read this thread. You're required to be an adult to sign up for this forum. A variety of options have been presented to her and she can make her decision. Sorry you find options "gross"
  • tomatoey
    Options
    It's true she can lose weight eating one meal of fast food a day. Of course she can lose weight doing that. But I don't know why people found it necessary to even discuss that, because that's not at all what she wants to do. She wants to learn how to shop for and cook nutritious food on a budget. She hasn't done that before, by the sounds of things. I have no idea why people find it necessary to question half her premises, or turn an honest question, the answers to which could improve her quality of life, into fodder for a tiresome and unhelpful debate.
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Well I have my ideas, but they'd get me a flag or two.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    It's true she can lose weight eating one meal of fast food a day. Of course she can lose weight doing that. But I don't know why people found it necessary to even discuss that, because that's not at all what she wants to do. She wants to learn how to shop for and cook nutritious food on a budget. She hasn't done that before, by the sounds of things. I have no idea why people find it necessary to question half her premises, or turn an honest question, the answers to which could improve her quality of life, into fodder for a tiresome and unhelpful debate.

Unhelpful to whom? One, it's a discussion forum, discussions happen. Two, again, she hasn't provided a lot of details, so a number of options kind of had to fill in the blanks. If this, then that. If you're okay doing it or otherwise stuck eating one [proper?] meal per day, you can still get your macro and micro nutrients and you can still lose weight
  • tomatoey
    Options

Unhelpful to whom? One, it's a discussion forum, discussions happen. Two, again, she hasn't provided a lot of details, so a number of options kind of had to fill in the blanks. If this, then that. If you're okay doing it or otherwise stuck eating one [proper?] meal per day, you can still get your macro and micro nutrients and you can still lose weight

To the OP, who posed the question and is (was) hoping for assistance with a practical problem in her actual life
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options

To the OP, who posed the question and is (was) hoping for assistance with a practical problem in her actual life

She's not the only one reading and hasn't been back to answer a number of follow up questions. And she's got plenty of answers about eating on a budget. You can't know the remaining answers wouldn't be helpful to her unless you're some sort of mind reader

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

And the details she did provide, were more confusing than enlightening.

And to tomatoey:
    It's not easy to come up with good answers when we don't even know what the question is!

Where has anyone proposed that the OP should eat only McDonald's??
  • jenmarie72011
    jenmarie72011 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »

You already lost 20 pounds presumably on the food your parents buy and I congratulate you !
    Is the picture in your profile recent ? Because looking at it and if it is recent I don't quite understand why you want to lose another 45 pounds......

Yes it is current and I do need to lose 45 lbs , I carry my weight pretty well lol. I have lost 20 lbs, but my weight keeps fluctuating due to the way I eat and excersize, like I had said in my post, I only eat once a day and usually unhealthly which is probably why my weight loss isn't going how i want it beside they calories I do consume, just being store as fat because I'm not eating very much.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »

You already lost 20 pounds presumably on the food your parents buy and I congratulate you !
    Is the picture in your profile recent ? Because looking at it and if it is recent I don't quite understand why you want to lose another 45 pounds......

Yes it is current and I do need to lose 45 lbs , I carry my weight pretty well lol. I have lost 20 lbs, but my weight keeps fluctuating due to the way I eat and excersize, like I had said in my post, I only eat once a day and usually unhealthly which is probably why my weight loss isn't going how i want it beside they calories I do consume, just being store as fat because I'm not eating very much.

So much of this is wrong.

What type of food you eat and how often you eat doesn't matter as to weight loss. The only requirement for weight loss is to eat less calories than you burn.

Your body does not store fat because of what you eat, and not eating enough does not cause you to store fat either.

Also, you have 45 pounds to lose? In your profile picture, you look pretty small. What are your stats?

To me, based on your profile picture, it seems losing 45 pounds would make you very underweight, which is a red flag....