Replies

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Zedeff wrote: »
    JoshLibby wrote: »
    heyeyeya wrote: »
    There IS such a thing as starvation mode FYI, but you're extremely unlikely to go into Ketoacidosis without some sort of metabolic deficiency. Starvation mode doesn't matter in the context given by an earlier poster, but it does exist!

And one meal a day won't harm you if that's the way you want to eat, as long as you've got a dependable gall bladder!

A little off topic, but the majority of woman I know don't have a gallbladder anymore, most are overweight. I wonder if someone made a topic of people who wanted to lose weight are overweight and had their gallbladder removed and posted saying yes or no. It would be interesting to see if there was some correlation between the two.

Yes, there is a correlation between female sex, obesity, and gallstones. Any nutrition expert would know this.

The surgeon who removed my bladder said that recent research shows a strong genetic component to developing gallstones also. My great grandmother, grandmother and mother all had them, as did I. They were all about 18-20 and slim, my mother has had anorexia on and off and got them when she was quite skinny. I was the first obese woman in our close family to get them. It does seem to be a strongly female oriented problem.

• jenmarie72011
    jenmarie72011 Posts: 25 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Ang108 wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time eating healthy, I can only afford to eat once a day, and when It comes time to eat it's usually unhealthy, I don't buy the food, so I have no control over what there is to eat. Any advice, like cheap healthy meals to make.

You already lost 20 pounds presumably on the food your parents buy and I congratulate you !
    Is the picture in your profile recent ? Because looking at it and if it is recent I don't quite understand why you want to lose another 45 pounds......

Yes it is current and I do need to lose 45 lbs , I carry my weight pretty well lol. I have lost 20 lbs, but my weight keeps fluctuating due to the way I eat and excersize, like I had said in my post, I only eat once a day and usually unhealthly which is probably why my weight loss isn't going how i want it beside they calories I do consume, just being store as fat because I'm not eating very much.

So much of this is wrong.

What type of food you eat and how often you eat doesn't matter as to weight loss. The only requirement for weight loss is to eat less calories than you burn.

Your body does not store fat because of what you eat, and not eating enough does not cause you to store fat either.

Also, you have 45 pounds to lose? In your profile picture, you look pretty small. What are your stats?

To me, based on your profile picture, it seems losing 45 pounds would make you very underweight, which is a red flag....

I'm about 170 lbs and 5'3 I need to lose weight...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time eating healthy, I can only afford to eat once a day, and when It comes time to eat it's usually unhealthy, I don't buy the food, so I have no control over what there is to eat. Any advice, like cheap healthy meals to make.

You already lost 20 pounds presumably on the food your parents buy and I congratulate you !
    Is the picture in your profile recent ? Because looking at it and if it is recent I don't quite understand why you want to lose another 45 pounds......

Yes it is current and I do need to lose 45 lbs , I carry my weight pretty well lol. I have lost 20 lbs, but my weight keeps fluctuating due to the way I eat and excersize, like I had said in my post, I only eat once a day and usually unhealthly which is probably why my weight loss isn't going how i want it beside they calories I do consume, just being store as fat because I'm not eating very much.

What type of food you eat and how often you eat doesn't matter as to weight loss. The only requirement for weight loss is to eat less calories than you burn.

Your body does not store fat because of what you eat, and not eating enough does not cause you to store fat either.

Also, you have 45 pounds to lose? In your profile picture, you look pretty small. What are your stats?

To me, based on your profile picture, it seems losing 45 pounds would make you very underweight, which is a red flag....

You're 170? Wow. You certainly don't look like it.
  • jenmarie72011
    Options

Yup, like I said I carry my weight well.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Try a different scale?? You really don't look it.

Honestly, I would suggest taking measurements and maybe setting a body fat goal, because it doesn't look like you have 45 pounds of fat to lose. So a good portion of that loss would have to be muscle... Maybe don't focus on the number on the scale, but set other goals instead. Like 'wear a size 6', or '21-24% BF'.
  • jenmarie72011
    Options

Try a different scale?? You really don't look it.

Honestly, I would suggest taking measurements and maybe setting a body fat goal, because it doesn't look like you have 45 pounds of fat to lose. So a good portion of that loss would have to be muscle... Maybe don't focus on the number on the scale, but set other goals instead. Like 'wear a size 6', or '21-24% BF'.

Maybe it's jut the clothes I'm wearing but I really do weigh that much, but you're right I probably should focus on other goals like clothes sizes instead of my weight.
  • jenmarie72011
    Options
    0vyr0g4ln29b.jpg
    A better picture.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    You still don't look like you weigh 170.
  • jenmarie72011
    Options
    Thank you, but I do lol.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Thank you, but I do lol.

:)
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Cute dress!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Cute dress!

And cute sandals!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I just recently found a job, so maybe I can start to buy some of my own food, and I just want healthy food ideas that won't be too expensive.

Congrats on the job! Like others have said, foods like rice, beans, and lentils are cheap. Produce is cheap at many farmer's markets (farmer's markets billed as exclusively organic tend to not be so cheap.) To find one near you visit http://www.localharvest.org/farmers-markets/

If you sign up for the MyFitnessPal newsletter, you will get recipes and tips emailed to you a few times per week. Some of these may be useful:

10 Budget-Friendly Meals Under 400 Calories

10 Tips for Eating Healthy on a Budget
  • bigdaddygonzo
    bigdaddygonzo Posts: 384 Member
    Options