Diet pop/soda

Options

Replies

• rebbylicious
    rebbylicious Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I like soda but I don't drink a lot of it. I love ginger ale and dr pepper. I do not drink diet sodas. IF you really want a soda, just have a regular one. My favorite thing is to get the mini cans, that is enough to enjoy the flavor but not overdo it.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Vanilla Coke Zero all the way! I look forward to having one with dinner each night. :)
  • bethruthlang
    bethruthlang Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just don't bother with fizzy drinks really. I'm not too bothered about them anyway and don't mind just having water. Before I started eating healthy I would have coke with vodka when I was on a night out, but when I do drink alcohol - if I do - I drink it with tonic water!

I have heard that the Diet versions of soda are worse than the original so would love to know why etc!

I would say in little amounts it should be fine!
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    i used to be a Diet Coke Junkie...since starting MFP, though, i've regulated my intake quite a bit, and what some of the folks have said about displacement is true. if you're drinking enough water, you probably won't want the soda as much.

BUT - if there are alcoholic beverages on the horizon, diet dr. pepper is my absolute favorite mixer. try it sometime.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Why can't you drink it? :huh:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking diet soda a year and a half ago - but it has absolutely no affect on weight loss or my health or anything else. The only thing it did was increase my coffee consumption (substitute caffeine source).
  • MissCandyce
    MissCandyce Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'll be quite honest, though it may not have any calories, sugars, etc. in it, it is highly toxic to your body. It has many ingredients that have been tested to cause cancer in rats, and actually the artificial sugar still triggers your brain that it's sugar and (normally) causes you to crave foods that are fatty and sugary -- leading to weight gain. It has no positives. This is just my opinion after reading and researching it since I started my weightloss journey. Now don't get me wrong, I have one every now and then.. But never everyday. Water, naturally flavored water with fruit, and unsweetened tea are your best options for optimal health and nutrition.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I'll be quite honest, though it may not have any calories, sugars, etc. in it, it is highly toxic to your body. It has many ingredients that have been tested to cause cancer in rats, and actually the artificial sugar still triggers your brain that it's sugar and (normally) causes you to crave foods that are fatty and sugary -- leading to weight gain. It has no positives. This is just my opinion after reading and researching it since I started my weightloss journey. Now don't get me wrong, I have one every now and then.. But never everyday. Water, naturally flavored water with fruit, and unsweetened tea are your best options for optimal health and nutrition.

BS nonsense
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

As it's just your opinion, I'll just dismiss it as unsupported fear mongering.
  • randomtai
    Options

Strong first post. :noway:
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    The abuse of the word toxic on this forum makes my head spin.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Do you have any science to support that?
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda regularly. It really helped me with weight loss because when I crave something sweet ,I can always get a diet soda. Works for me.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    The abuse of the word toxic on this forum makes my head spin.

werd
  • MissCandyce
    MissCandyce Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Did you read MAD magazine and The Onion for your "research"?

No actually. But I would love to know the positives you can get from this, since apparently I have the wrong interpretation. Coke isn't good for you.. So why would Diet Coke with an artificial sugar be any better than what they say about cokes? The government may allow it in our food, but that doesn't make it nutritionally valuable. It also allows HFCS, Soy Lecthin, Mono and Di Glycerides etc. but those are definitely not beneficial to our bodies.
    And also... It even says artificial. It's fake. Made to taste sweeter than sugar.
    I wasn't trying to get into some big debate, but never have I heard anyone say that diet coke is good for you and your weightloss. All it does is feed chemicals into your body. The fake sugar triggers your body and makes your insulin go up causing your body to 1) make you wanna eat all the food with no survivors and 2) resulting in weight gain.
    I'm simply stating what I have seen in documentaries, research articles, health magazines, trainers, etc. if you read something that says diet coke is good for you check to see who is sponsoring the advertisement, article, commercial or whatever. I see diet coke as bad for you, and that's how I will always view it.
  • randomtai
    Options

No actually. But I would love to know the positives you can get from this, since apparently I have the wrong interpretation. Coke isn't good for you.. So why would Diet Coke with an artificial sugar be any better than what they say about cokes? The government may allow it in our food, but that doesn't make it nutritionally valuable. It also allows HFCS, Soy Lecthin, Mono and Di Glycerides etc. but those are definitely not beneficial to our bodies.
    And also... It even says artificial. It's fake. Made to taste sweeter than sugar.
    I wasn't trying to get into some big debate, but never have I heard anyone say that diet coke is good for you and your weightloss. All it does is feed chemicals into your body. The fake sugar triggers your body and makes your insulin go up causing your body to 1) make you wanna eat all the food with no survivors and 2) resulting in weight gain.
    I'm simply stating what I have seen in documentaries, research articles, health magazines, trainers, etc. if you read something that says diet coke is good for you check to see who is sponsoring the advertisement, article, commercial or whatever. I see diet coke as bad for you, and that's how I will always view it.

False... a thousand times false. Please just stop.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

So you don't have a peer reviewed article to support your claims, just your opinion? Okay.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I'm simply stating what I have seen in documentaries, research articles, health magazines, trainers, etc.

Which research articles?

The rest of those "sources" are as reliable as asking your Magic 8 Ball whether or not a Scorpio will win the lottery tonight.