Diet pop/soda

Options

Replies

• MissCandyce
    MissCandyce Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    I'll be quite honest, though it may not have any calories, sugars, etc. in it, it is highly toxic to your body. It has many ingredients that have been tested to cause cancer in rats, and actually the artificial sugar still triggers your brain that it's sugar and (normally) causes you to crave foods that are fatty and sugary -- leading to weight gain. It has no positives. This is just my opinion after reading and researching it since I started my weightloss journey. Now don't get me wrong, I have one every now and then.. But never everyday. Water, naturally flavored water with fruit, and unsweetened tea are your best options for optimal health and nutrition.

Did you read MAD magazine and The Onion for your "research"?

No actually. But I would love to know the positives you can get from this, since apparently I have the wrong interpretation. Coke isn't good for you.. So why would Diet Coke with an artificial sugar be any better than what they say about cokes? The government may allow it in our food, but that doesn't make it nutritionally valuable. It also allows HFCS, Soy Lecthin, Mono and Di Glycerides etc. but those are definitely not beneficial to our bodies.
    And also... It even says artificial. It's fake. Made to taste sweeter than sugar.
    I wasn't trying to get into some big debate, but never have I heard anyone say that diet coke is good for you and your weightloss. All it does is feed chemicals into your body. The fake sugar triggers your body and makes your insulin go up causing your body to 1) make you wanna eat all the food with no survivors and 2) resulting in weight gain.
    I'm simply stating what I have seen in documentaries, research articles, health magazines, trainers, etc. if you read something that says diet coke is good for you check to see who is sponsoring the advertisement, article, commercial or whatever. I see diet coke as bad for you, and that's how I will always view it.

False... a thousand times false. Please just stop.

Please explain, because I would really like to know how it's good for you.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Food Babe strikes again!
  • Conspiracy19
    Conspiracy19 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been looking it up too for the past couple of days and I have concluded that sweeteners are fine. There doesn't really seem to be any scientific link between sweeteners and cancer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf82FfX-wuU

Just wondering, do you guys who drink them log them? Because they're only like 2 calories.
  • MissCandyce
    Options
    I didn't realize how a statement could make so many people frustrated and result in them being just plain rude and defensive. If you don't believe me and don't like my view that's okay, but could we please be mature about this? And I honestly want the other side, because I'm not the kind of person to not hear the other side. I'm honestly repeating what I have always heard and read about.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'll be quite honest, though it may not have any calories, sugars, etc. in it, it is highly toxic to your body. It has many ingredients that have been tested to cause cancer in rats, and actually the artificial sugar still triggers your brain that it's sugar and (normally) causes you to crave foods that are fatty and sugary -- leading to weight gain. It has no positives. This is just my opinion after reading and researching it since I started my weightloss journey. Now don't get me wrong, I have one every now and then.. But never everyday. Water, naturally flavored water with fruit, and unsweetened tea are your best options for optimal health and nutrition.

No actually. But I would love to know the positives you can get from this, since apparently I have the wrong interpretation. Coke isn't good for you.. So why would Diet Coke with an artificial sugar be any better than what they say about cokes? The government may allow it in our food, but that doesn't make it nutritionally valuable. It also allows HFCS, Soy Lecthin, Mono and Di Glycerides etc. but those are definitely not beneficial to our bodies.
    And also... It even says artificial. It's fake. Made to taste sweeter than sugar.
    I wasn't trying to get into some big debate, but never have I heard anyone say that diet coke is good for you and your weightloss. All it does is feed chemicals into your body. The fake sugar triggers your body and makes your insulin go up causing your body to 1) make you wanna eat all the food with no survivors and 2) resulting in weight gain.
    I'm simply stating what I have seen in documentaries, research articles, health magazines, trainers, etc. if you read something that says diet coke is good for you check to see who is sponsoring the advertisement, article, commercial or whatever. I see diet coke as bad for you, and that's how I will always view it.

Just let it go at that. Every calorie is equal to this crowd.

[Edited by MFP Staff]
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

False dichotomy.

Pointing out that the fear mongering in your posts is false, doesn't mean people are arguing it's nutritious or "good for you".

It's basically flavored fizzy water. There's really not all that much to it. It just is.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

It does none of those things. Your sources are so vaguely stated that they're useless for the purposes of discussion. Diet soda is exactly nutritious as water is, in that neither one has any nutrients whatsoever and both offer hydration (yes diet soda provides hydration); any diuretic effect of caffeine in diet soda is minute at most.

You say artificial like it's a bad thing, but you have zero ability to explain--in your own words--what precisely the problem is.

There's nothing wrong with artificial sweeteners unless someone happens to be in the small percentage of people who have a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners, but that's as toxic as any other food sensitivity.

*If* someone happens to have hunger and satiety issues as a result of drinking diet soda, that's something they should be aware of, but it's nothing anyone else who doesn't have that issue should be concerned with.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options

Just let it go at that. You're talking to the equivalent of a preschool classroom when it comes to actual health knowledge. Every calorie is equal to this crowd.

You again????? Please expound on your context sir.....

Calories are units of measure...... 1 calorie = 1 calorie , 1 inch = 1 inch , 1 cup = 1 cup.....and on....and on.... and on....

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

False dichotomy.

Pointing out that the fear mongering in your posts is false, doesn't mean people are arguing it's nutritious or "good for you".

It's basically flavored fizzy water. There's really not all that much to it. It just is.

I'm going to copy and paste this answer to every thread on this topic
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Just let it go at that. You're talking to the equivalent of a preschool classroom when it comes to actual health knowledge. Every calorie is equal to this crowd.

In for the passive aggressive, childish comments....

To the OP, diet soda is fine. Keep hydrated. Drink some diet soda when you want it. Prosper.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    ceoverturf wrote: »

False dichotomy.

I'm going to copy and paste this answer to every thread on this topic

Naturally, I'll expect royalties

You may forward your payment, in bacon, to me monthly :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

And you still haven't.

Just because something isn't bad, doesn't mean it's good. There's middle ground in there.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    When aspertame first came out the soda companies wanted to say "it helps you lose weight" but they couldn't and that was because they found it to be an appetite stimulant.

I will not argue, toxic or health reason because I don't know. However, even if it is only sort of true that by using artificial sweeteners you can stimulate your appetite, well then why would you want to do that. The article I read said that it makes your body crave additional sugar because it is sweet, but no calories.

I did see that it was based on actual research, but I can't say if the research was good or flawed. What I can say is that I stopped drinking it a long time ago and now I can't stand any of those sugary drinks. It tastes to me like I am drinking syrup, ick. Does it hurt me not to drink, NOPE. Do I tell people its bad for your NOPE. It is your personal decision, but I find that I don't miss it at all. Sometimes I will have a lemonade, less sugar or some juice but really don't miss drinking sweet drinks at all.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

And you still haven't.

Just because something isn't bad, doesn't mean it's good. There's middle ground in there.

Diet soda is good for helping create a calorie deficit, instead of regular soda. Ergo, it can be good for weight loss, which the poster said was not the case.

Also, I have been drinking diet soda for ~20 years. This: "The fake sugar triggers your body and makes your insulin go up causing your body to 1) make you wanna eat all the food with no survivors and 2) resulting in weight gain." is not now nor ever has been true for me. Diet coke doesn't make me want to eat more food. It just is a tasty beverage that I enjoy guilt free.

ETA I quoted @TheVirgoddess but was actually responding to statements from @MissCandyce
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    fannyfrost wrote: »
    However, even if it is only sort of true that by using artificial sweeteners you can stimulate your appetite, well then why would you want to do that.

Because it doesn't make everyone crave it and it's an enjoyable flavor to some? Life's too short to not eat/drink the things you enjoy.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Drinking diet soda hasn't hindered my weight loss whatsoever. Opinions are a dime a dozen. What does the science say?

The eight glasses "rule" has no basis in fact either, but hydration never hurt anyone.

All fluids hydrate including tea, coffee, and sodas.
  • MissCandyce
    Options

Oh. Right. Good luck to you and all of your fitness goals.

catintinfoilhat.jpg

Thanks. I've lost 105 pounds. ☺️
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I had a Dr. Pepper 10 w/lunch today....so tastey!!! And I don't log them personally..... 10 calories isn't going to ruin my longterm goals.....I will sleep ok.