21 day Sugar Detox?

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    All I can offer is get a steak (your choice of cut), grill it on bbq or pan-fry with olive oil until done, and eat it. The only things I know that have no sugar are meats and oils.
  • 3438nancy
    3438nancy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Aubrey, I will start with you today! Of couse fruit is ok in moderation. To be clear, Im talking about the white stuff and the fake stuff, alcohol honey, preserves and syrups so I will be eating my yogurt plain but the sugars found in dairy, I am not counting.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    3438nancy wrote: »
    Aubrey, I will start with you today! Of couse fruit is ok in moderation. To be clear, Im talking about the white stuff and the fake stuff, alcohol honey, preserves and syrups so I will be eating my yogurt plain but the sugars found in dairy, I am not counting.

I'm worrying about your definitions here. How is honey or preserves 'Fake' but highly processed and dairy yoghurt not fake? You see the problem? Classifying foods as good or bad this way is really not helpful for anyone
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Sugar isn't a toxin, but, at least on the US, it is grossly overused in processed food in a way that distorts the palate and leads to an unbalanced diet. It is easy to buy salad dressing that is little more than pancake syrup with some vinegar added. Detox is a silly term, but minimizing sugared food for a time to retrain the palate can be a sensible step in changing eating habits
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

I'm worrying about your definitions here. How is honey or preserves 'Fake' but highly processed and dairy yoghurt not fake? You see the problem? Classifying foods as good or bad this way is really not helpful for anyone

I thought she was talking about Jack Daniels American Honey, which is quite delicious... Now if you consume too much of that you may indeed need a detox but it is not from the sugar...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    mskezh wrote: »
    @yetispaghetti I understood what you are asking, but asking that question on this website, will not get you the information you are looking for too many smart mouth people up here. try allrecipes.com

How exactly is going to allrecipes, which is a great site for finding recipes when you know what you're looking for, going to help this OP who likely has a murky understanding at best of exactly what sorts of foods are allowed on this "detox"? So far in this thread we've seen several different examples of what kinds of sugars are acceptable? Not to mention that none of this is necessary in the first place...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Sugar can be very addictive . Did anyone read Sugar Blues ? A Senator once try to declare it a drug in court but the Coca Cola Company put the kabosh on it. Sometimes I have to go cold turkey to break the cycle so I get it.
    Everything in moderation though, people have very different individual needs For me, I can eat sweets once in a while but Im taking a risk that I may binge

please shoe me studies of human trials showing a linkage between sugar and addiction.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    acmiranda7 wrote: »
    Sugar is poison to our bodies! Fructose from fruits is digested slowly and our bodies need this kind of sweets. White cane sugar and flour anything turns to sugar and then fat. I've eliminated all sugars and grains for 30 days and I eat veggies nuts plain European full fat yogurt, meat and fruits. I'm down 10 lbs

Thank you! I did the same for a month as well and lost 5 pounds and everyone around me noticed it. Sugar is a POISON to our bodies.

so you eat no fruit, vegetables, bread then, right?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    things that are poisons: arsenic, hemlock, deadly nightshade, yew berries etc etc

things that are not poison: glucose, fructose, sucrose, lactose etc

learn the difference people, it may just save your life
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    A Senator once try to declare it a drug in court but the Coca Cola Company put the kabosh on it.

Which Senator? I need to make sure he or she is on my whack-job politicians list.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Interesting, who exactly is judging?

The only judging I saw was from the person she quoted.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    acmiranda7 wrote: »
    Sugar is poison to our bodies! Fructose from fruits is digested slowly and our bodies need this kind of sweets. White cane sugar and flour anything turns to sugar and then fat. I've eliminated all sugars and grains for 30 days and I eat veggies nuts plain European full fat yogurt, meat and fruits. I'm down 10 lbs

Thank you! I did the same for a month as well and lost 5 pounds and everyone around me noticed it. Sugar is a POISON to our bodies.

How is it poison??.....or did you just watch some stupid reality show telling you this.

• Badger_Girl99
    Badger_Girl99 Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I did a diet "restart" for 21 days, and eliminated some things, including sugar...and by that I mean just sweets, because it's hard to rid your body of sugar altogether, and why would you want to? Maybe just eliminate the sweets for 21 days and see how you feel, and curb those cravings with fruit? Other than that I don't have any advice...I'm kind of a twit.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Troutsy wrote: »
    Interesting, who exactly is judging?

The only judging I saw was from the person she quoted.

Agreed.
  • kia_runs
    kia_runs Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    starting a sugar detox on Monday and was wondering if anyone had recommendations for recipes?

Thanks!
    -Aubrey

http://balancedbites.com/sugar-addiction-detox
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Very long but a little more information on the debate: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html?_r=0

ETA: Taubes is not a neutral on the question and does believe that sugar is toxic.Nonetheless, he does a pretty decent job here of outlining the debate in a way that's understandable but not totally dumbed down.
  • LiveLighterLife
    LiveLighterLife Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Anyone answer the poor lady or go on sugar craze lol I have been using honey in place of sugar for recipes for my kids that's a great alternative
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Peah09 wrote: »
    Anyone answer the poor lady or go on sugar craze lol I have been using honey in place of sugar for recipes for my kids that's a great alternative

for the record, honey contains sugar.
  • LiveLighterLife
    LiveLighterLife Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    things that are poisons: arsenic, hemlock, deadly nightshade, yew berries etc etc

things that are not poison: glucose, fructose, sucrose, lactose etc

learn the difference people, it may just save your life
    Yes there all fda approved but everyone's bodies react differently