Cardio is the devil

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Even as a trainer, I despise doing it. However it's hard to deny that it's beneficial to my overall training. The key is finding a cardio exercise you'll continue to do for life. Right now for me it's jog/walk OUTSIDE for about 30-60 minutes a day. Gives me a chance to listen to daily news on my phone and just get "within" myself at a lower intensity.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    ebyla85 wrote: »
    I hate cardio . I did 15 mins of cardio , And 45 Mins of weights . will I see any results even if I lowered my cardio. I guess I shall see . Lol

Now when you say 15 mins of cardio, are you actually getting your heart rate up, or just moving on the machine?
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    mitch16 wrote: »
    I'm just the opposite--I love cardio (running!) and see weight-lifting/resistance work as a necessary evil.

Again, ditto!
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Over the long weekend, my bike rides through the green countryside, bright sunshine, and fresh air were complete torture.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Over the long weekend, my bike rides through the green countryside, bright sunshine, and fresh air were complete torture.

Mine too! Cardio is definitely the devil lol
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Play music, movies, or shows out of smartphone while on treadmill/stationary bike/elliptical. Takes the boredom away.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    I hate cardio . I did 15 mins of cardio , And 45 Mins of weights . will I see any results even if I lowered my cardio. I guess I shall see . Lol

Time to find a new form of cardio?

My 19km run on Saturday past these evil falls was diabolically... pleasant.

IMG_20150704_095249.jpg
  • ebyla85
    ebyla85 Posts: 127 Member
    AsISmile wrote: »
    Yes. Fitness is for exercise, calorie deficit for weightloss. So it is okay to cut most of your cardio.
    However, it is important not to skip your warming up before weight training though, so about 10 minutes (on stationary bike) should do.

Also, there is plenty of other cardio out there that is not a treadmill or eliptical. If you want some more cardio you can add walking/hiking, swimming, dance lessons, gym classes, jumping on a trampoline, etc.
    Thanks ! I just get so bored of cardio .
  • ebyla85
    999tigger wrote: »
    You dont have to do exercise for weight loss.
    Cardio is useful for heart lungs and endurance.
    Its also good for burning calories depending on how much you do. You have to do quite a bit though for significant burns.

If you hate it then maybe find a form of it you dont hate like swimming, walking a class or a sport.
    If you dont wnat to dop it then dont , many just do weights or no exercise. Imo your progress might be slower, but as you are only doing 15mins anyway then you wouldnt be burning much c100-150 calories about a packet of chips or half a small chocolate bar.

I quite like it and seeing my fitness improve. It cna be boring if in the gym, but music helps.

So true ! I washed my earphones in the washing machine . Haven't bought anymore yet that's probably why it's so much more boring lol . Another form of cardio I'll try . Thanks a lot .
  • ebyla85
    rumijs wrote: »
    There are necessary "evils" in life. I'm a believer if you tell yourself you "hate" it, then it makes the workout 100x harder and you lose motivation and focus to start and complete it. I think you'll find some reason to like it after a few weeks. Something that makes it more personal for you. I don't know where you're starting at with your fitness, but the day will come when you can do something cardio related just a little better than the day before. And it will trigger your motivation, realizing that those 15 minutes were worth it. Sure you can lower it. You'll likely see results if you stick to your weights. It will just be a different kind of results (like sacrificing some endurance building).

I still want endurance I guess I just ust need to find a new love for cardio lol
  • ebyla85
    msf74 wrote: »

You don't have to do cardio if you don't want to or do not like it. A decent resistance training plan coupled with good diet will be enough for general health and looking good.
    I guess I just need the steps in doing this without cardio and just resistants or just lowered cardio or maybe learn to love it lol
  • ebyla85

Now when you say 15 mins of cardio, are you actually getting your heart rate up, or just moving on the machine?

I did 5 minutes of jumping jacks ( which was torcher for me ) then I ran on the treadmill for 10 minutes 2 of those ten I jogged .
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    I used to hate cardio, its injured me multiple times (plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendinitis) but then I found something I look forward to: mountain biking.

Find something you enjoy or perhaps love doing.
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member

I did 5 minutes of jumping jacks ( which was torcher for me ) then I ran on the treadmill for 10 minutes 2 of those ten I jogged .

Ugh, that sounds awful. No wonder you hate cardio.
    I work with heart failure patients, so I'm gonna side with the "do cardio" crowd- you know how hard it is to get a new heart if you're not Dick Cheney??

I run, bike, swim, hike, and always walk instead of driving in town. Seems to do the trick.
    Here's a picture from one of my tortuous cardio workouts:
    rpupqbf9rt80.jpg

Lemme, tell ya, that run with my mom was one of the greatest hours in recent memory.

Do what you love- or at least tolerate- and take care of your heart. Also, buy headphones and quit with the jumping jacks.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member

Why?
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    I too hate cardio, but I put on a long YT video and just chug a long, normally something funny helps. I do this while on a bike/stairmaster/elliptical, I would complete face plant on a treadmill..lol my focus and balance is all over the place.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    mwyvr wrote: »

Time to find a new form of cardio?

My 19km run on Saturday past these evil falls was diabolically... pleasant.

IMG_20150704_095249.jpg

You win.
  • healthydayb
    healthydayb Posts: 4 Member
    Cardio is not evil - but I have a love / hate relationship with my elliptical. I use my iPad stocked with tunes, YouTube and Netflix. Plus I use a big fan to make life easier.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    I do spinning, it's good for the heart and generally good for us.
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member

While I didn't hate cardio, it wasn't my favorite thing. But when I started using a HRM seeing that the work I thought I was doing wasn't really getting my heart going, made me have to step it up a bit, now doing 60 mins at 80 to 90% is a breeze, can do 30 mins above 90% then go work a 12 hr shift. I see people come and do quick cardio to warm up, if I did that after about 10 mins my heart would be back to resting rate.