Sugar Detox - Exercising through the Withdrawals

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    this thread is the poster child for broscience...
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I need to just put all sugar on my Bingo cards, I would have a black out Bingo every single day!! LOL, ;)

that's cheating!!
  • mardetox
    mardetox Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    mardetox wrote: »
    What is your weight loss "speed" set to? 2Lbs a week? with 20LBs to lose...that's probably not going to happen. And probably not enough calories. What's your height/weight/age?

As for the fatigue from reducing sugar (and probably therefore carbs), increasing fats can help. But you might just have to wait that out. Folks often feel awful when they reduce added sugars and therefore carbs. If you're not trying to be "low carb" add some fruits, and some beans.

But again: my eyes are drawn to that 1200 calorie figure and wondering if that's much too aggressive.

Sorry - to clarify, I'm not trying to lose 20 lbs in 30 days, just do a 30 day sugar detox. I'm hoping to lose 20 in 80 days. 5'7/150/23

Good tip about fats, I will definitely incorporate more! I assume you mean avocados, coconut oil, etc. The 1200 calorie goal is what myfitnesspal gave me after I entered my goals =/

I plugged your stats into the goals tool. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided

With only 20 pounds to lose, you should shoot for just losing 0.5 pound per week. More aggressive goals will cause suffering. 0.5 pound per week gives you 1,590 calories per day. You're 5'7" like me. 1,200 is for shorter women.

fb54ecd98fa187f86ef4fc3d94fd4124.png

Yea that makes sense - I did put my goals as losing 2 lbs per week (the max it allows). Thanks for clarifying, I'm (as everyone has made very clear) obviously a newbie to this!
  • mardetox
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    this thread is the poster child for broscience...

lol
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I need to just put all sugar on my Bingo cards, I would have a black out Bingo every single day!! LOL, ;)

that's cheating!!

I know. ;) LOL
  • mardetox
    Options
    Hmm definitely thought majority of replies here would be much less condescending. Not a very supportive community.

First of all, no one here has been condescending towards you. This conversation takes pace on MFP literally every day, and it gets frustrating dispelling all of the misinformation surrounding sugar every. Single. Day. And then people come in with even more bizarre misinformation (like the poster above who garnered a couple eye rolls), which is frustrating because it confuses people, such as yourself, who are new to health and fitness and who need to learn the facts rather than a bunch of woo from a couple of crazy journalists and bloggers out there who want to get page hits.

Secondly, there is absolutely no reason to "detox" from sugar. You are demonizing a food without completely understanding what it is and how the body processes it. Sugar is the latest "evil" food in the diet industry, and detox is a pretty-sounding buzzword to make you feel like you're doing something useful. Short of going to rehab for a severe drug addiction, there really is no such thing as a detox. Your liver and kidneys do your body's detoxing for you just fine.

You would probably be best-served by STOPPING the food demonizing, learning about macronutrients and how they affect body composition, trying to hit your calorie and macronutrient goals for the day, and learning how to control your portions so that you can include treats that you enjoy during your day to avoid binging on them later on. There is nothing wrong with incorporating sugary foods into a balanced diet and active lifestyle.

Mental health is important, too.

Right, but as someone who can't eat 1 cookie but has to eat 3, I think this approach will help reset my mindset (that is, a mindset of an addict). Thanks for the info though!
  • mardetox
    Options
    GalaxyDuck wrote: »
    Projected Weight Loss 1.7 lbs/week

With only 20 lbs you are looking to lose, I think you have your projected weight loss goal per week set too high. When you're that close to your goal weight, the 0.5/lb a week setting is recommended.

Read through the information on this page:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

Yep, you nailed it. I've adjusted it, thanks!
  • mardetox
    Options
    OP, I think you're tired from eating so little.

Possibly very true, I'm not used to this but that is the direction myfitnesspal gave me.

Here are my "goals"

Nutritional Goals

Goals
    Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,200 cal/day
    Carbs / Day 150.0 g
    Fat / Day 40.0 g
    Protein / Day 60.0 g

Fitness Goals
    Goals
    Calories Burned / Week 830 cal/week
    Workouts / Week 5 Workouts
    Minutes / Workout 30 mins

Your Diet Profile Target
    Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 2,060 cal/day
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,200 cal/day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 860 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 1.7 lbs/week

How are you measuring your activity burns? MFP already has the deficit built in so you should be netting 1200 a day. MFP also tends to exaggerate exercise burns, so perhaps eat half of your exercise calories back and see how you feel. Like Hornsby said, you cannot be eating zero sugars unless you're just eating meat.

Unless you have a medical issue with sugar, there really is no reason to "detox". If you wish to cut back on sugar as a personal choice, then have at it. But I don't think your withdrawals are coming from the lack of sugar itself. More like you might be burning yourself out from not eating enough to fuel your workouts.

Fair enough, yeah, it's a personal choice. Huge sweet tooth to the point that I gained 20 lbs from lack of self-control.

There you go. You said it. It's lack of self control, not an addiction, and not the fault of the sugar.

Also, not allowing myths to continue to propagate is not the same as being unsupportive. In fact, correcting false views based on junk science is more supportive than just blindly allowing a person to believe in the woo.

How is that not an addiction? Genuinely curious
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Hello!

I have started a sugar detox that I expect to last 30 days (if not more if I am happy at the end!) I am on day 3 and I am so exhausted I feel like I could fall over. I also am trying to lose 20 lbs by eating 1200 calories a day and doing at least 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. You know, that whole shebang.

Today though, I feel too beat to exercise. My question is - do I push through the fatigue and get 30 in? Has anyone else experienced withdrawal symptoms from sugar? Thanks!

1200 calories, 5 days a week exercise..... what are you? An 80lb. teenage girl? You need to eat more.

Like previous posters said, unless you're eating ALL meat, you're consuming sugar. Your body doesn't need to detox at all. It does that on it's own.

It's interesting that both of you who posted this are guys. Any sense in justifying that women need to eat less than men in general? I agree that 1200 is pretty low but I have done a ton of research on calorie deficits to lose weight and 1200 seems to be the range recommended, albeit nothing lower than that.

I'm wondering if the 1200 number recommended is after exercise. Meaning, if I burn 300 calories in a day, I should really be eating 1500. But I wish myfitnesspal "goals" would just say that haha.

It has nothing to do with men or women replying. In your "research" did you even run your numbers? You're 5'7 , 150....well within a normal weight range. By your stats and admitted workout schedule, you're TDEE is around 2100-2200 cals. If you're only eating 1200 calories your eating at TDEE -44%, if you eat your exercise cals back to 1500 you're at TDEE -30%. That is the reason you feel like you could fall over.....you're not properly fueling.

I'd be interested in where you found TDEE -30% to TDEE -45% is recommended for someone within a healthy weight range. My 6 year old eats about 1000-1200 calories a day.

literally, MFP spat that number out

So MFP is the extent of your research? What is your goal set at....2lbs per week?

MFP is just a calculator.... It takes your stats, goals, and daily activity level and spits out a number to reach your goal. It also assumes you do no exercise. Entering your stats into a TDEE calculator as sedentary, I get ~1800. To lose 2lbs per week, that's a 1000 cal per day deficit or a daily caloric goal of only 800 calories. MFP bottoms out at 1200 (there is a glitch where some will get below 1200, but that doesn't happen too often).

1lb per week would be 1300, .5lbs would be 1550. This also wouldn't include any exercise cals that you should be eating back.

If your stats, diary, and exercise are all correct, you feel exhausted because your "tank of gas" has long since been empty.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Hmm definitely thought majority of replies here would be much less condescending. Not a very supportive community.

First of all, no one here has been condescending towards you. This conversation takes pace on MFP literally every day, and it gets frustrating dispelling all of the misinformation surrounding sugar every. Single. Day. And then people come in with even more bizarre misinformation (like the poster above who garnered a couple eye rolls), which is frustrating because it confuses people, such as yourself, who are new to health and fitness and who need to learn the facts rather than a bunch of woo from a couple of crazy journalists and bloggers out there who want to get page hits.

Secondly, there is absolutely no reason to "detox" from sugar. You are demonizing a food without completely understanding what it is and how the body processes it. Sugar is the latest "evil" food in the diet industry, and detox is a pretty-sounding buzzword to make you feel like you're doing something useful. Short of going to rehab for a severe drug addiction, there really is no such thing as a detox. Your liver and kidneys do your body's detoxing for you just fine.

You would probably be best-served by STOPPING the food demonizing, learning about macronutrients and how they affect body composition, trying to hit your calorie and macronutrient goals for the day, and learning how to control your portions so that you can include treats that you enjoy during your day to avoid binging on them later on. There is nothing wrong with incorporating sugary foods into a balanced diet and active lifestyle.

Right, but as someone who can't eat 1 cookie but has to eat 3, I think this approach will help reset my mindset (that is, a mindset of an addict). Thanks for the info though!

I fit 3 cookies into my day quite often. One cookie is not even worth it. I usually eat 2 or 3, depending on the brand/calories in each cookie.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

lack of self control does not equal addiction.

So if you eat three cookies you are an addict?
  • mardetox
    Options

I fit 3 cookies into my day quite often. One cookie is not even worth it. I usually eat 2 or 3, depending on the brand/calories in each cookie.

How's that workin out for your goals?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

I must be an addict.

Time to check into rehab.
  • mardetox
    Options

If I literally cannot say no, and get super upset if I can't have it, I think so. Unless everything I know about addiction is wrong (quite possible, learn new things everyday!)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

Well I've been steadily losing weight, so I'd say it's working out just fine.

As long as I've hit my calorie goal/around my protein goal, and I've gotten substantial exercise for the day, having a bowl of ice cream or a few cookies does not negatively impact my weight loss or my health.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Not cookies, but I eat ice cream every single day and my goals are just fine...