• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    mardetox wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Hello!

I have started a sugar detox that I expect to last 30 days (if not more if I am happy at the end!) I am on day 3 and I am so exhausted I feel like I could fall over. I also am trying to lose 20 lbs by eating 1200 calories a day and doing at least 30 minutes of cardio 5 days a week. You know, that whole shebang.

Today though, I feel too beat to exercise. My question is - do I push through the fatigue and get 30 in? Has anyone else experienced withdrawal symptoms from sugar? Thanks!

1200 calories, 5 days a week exercise..... what are you? An 80lb. teenage girl? You need to eat more.

Like previous posters said, unless you're eating ALL meat, you're consuming sugar. Your body doesn't need to detox at all. It does that on it's own.

It's interesting that both of you who posted this are guys. Any sense in justifying that women need to eat less than men in general? I agree that 1200 is pretty low but I have done a ton of research on calorie deficits to lose weight and 1200 seems to be the range recommended, albeit nothing lower than that.

I'm wondering if the 1200 number recommended is after exercise. Meaning, if I burn 300 calories in a day, I should really be eating 1500. But I wish myfitnesspal "goals" would just say that haha.

It has nothing to do with men or women replying. In your "research" did you even run your numbers? You're 5'7 , 150....well within a normal weight range. By your stats and admitted workout schedule, you're TDEE is around 2100-2200 cals. If you're only eating 1200 calories your eating at TDEE -44%, if you eat your exercise cals back to 1500 you're at TDEE -30%. That is the reason you feel like you could fall over.....you're not properly fueling.

I'd be interested in where you found TDEE -30% to TDEE -45% is recommended for someone within a healthy weight range. My 6 year old eats about 1000-1200 calories a day.

literally, MFP spat that number out

Because you input unrealistic goals and the system literally just calculates a caloric goal based upon your inputs ... bottoming out at 1200. It also spat out a net, not gross, caloric goal.
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    [Right, but as someone who can't eat 1 cookie but has to eat 3, I think this approach will help reset my mindset (that is, a mindset of an addict). Thanks for the info though! [/quote]

I fit 3 cookies in when I want to eat them... I also fit my Starbucks coffees in when I want them.. I eat my healthy food and my junk foods and I still lose weight... I'm also eating 1670 calories a day and working out 4 days a week...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    It appears to me that this board has a few people who don't believe that sugar affects some people more than others, or that withdrawal like symptoms are real for some when sugar is removed from their diets. I think those people do not have an issue with sugar, and have never experienced it, so they don't accept it as possible... Just my opinion.

I too have issues with sugar. If I am offered 1 cookie, I have more. Pop is my favourite "food". I'm to the pint where if I fry up too many carbs with my eggs in the morning (like a pepper) then I am craving carbs later in the day and hungry within a couple of hours rather than four.

I went low carb high fat (LCHF) to get into ketogenisis, and I felt pretty poorly for about 2weeks - on and off. I was very tired, had migraines most of the time and was a bit cranky. Just weak. I'm not working out but now that I am past that withdrawal, I feel the urge to work out and od something, which is more than I ever felt before.

My advice is to consider cutting back on exercise if you feel like you need to. Maybe tone it down to an easy jog or walk for a few days.

On the otherhand, a hard workout of HIIT will help clear the sugars out of your body faster. ;)

Just don't cheat. I had a couple of cheats and I think it made "withdrawal" last longer for me. Just a theory.

My other advice would be to try the LCD board. Other low carbers may understand what you are going through more than others who are not in the same boat. Good luck!
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    MFP gave me the 1200 calorie goal too. I upped it into the 1400's, although I often exceed that. I also changed the fat, protein and carb macros to better fit my goals.

I didn't bother changing sugar because I like coming in waaay below MFP's recommended level. ;)
  • brianpperkins
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    It appears to me that this board has a few people who don't believe that sugar affects some people more than others, or that withdrawal like symptoms are real for some when sugar is removed from their diets. I think those people do not have an issue with sugar, and have never experienced it, so they don't accept it as possible... Just my opinion.

I too have issues with sugar. If I am offered 1 cookie, I have more. Pop is my favourite "food". I'm to the pint where if I fry up too many carbs with my eggs in the morning (like a pepper) then I am craving carbs later in the day and hungry within a couple of hours rather than four.

I went low carb high fat (LCHF) to get into ketogenisis, and I felt pretty poorly for about 2weeks - on and off. I was very tired, had migraines most of the time and was a bit cranky. Just weak. I'm not working out but now that I am past that withdrawal, I feel the urge to work out and od something, which is more than I ever felt before.

My advice is to consider cutting back on exercise if you feel like you need to. Maybe tone it down to an easy jog or walk for a few days.

On the otherhand, a hard workout of HIIT will help clear the sugars out of your body faster. ;)

Just don't cheat. I had a couple of cheats and I think it made "withdrawal" last longer for me. Just a theory.

My other advice would be to try the LCD board. Other low carbers may understand what you are going through more than others who are not in the same boat. Good luck!

So, you still eat sugars ... therefore not "detoxing" as the OP desires. Of course, the fact sugar isn't a toxin makes "detoxing" an impossibility ... simple word meanings.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    OP, I think you're tired from eating so little.

Possibly very true, I'm not used to this but that is the direction myfitnesspal gave me.

Here are my "goals"

Nutritional Goals

Goals
    Net Calories Consumed* / Day 1,200 cal/day
    Carbs / Day 150.0 g
    Fat / Day 40.0 g
    Protein / Day 60.0 g

Fitness Goals
    Goals
    Calories Burned / Week 830 cal/week
    Workouts / Week 5 Workouts
    Minutes / Workout 30 mins

Your Diet Profile Target
    Calories Burned
    From Normal Daily Activity 2,060 cal/day
    Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,200 cal/day
    Daily Calorie Deficit 860 calories
    Projected Weight Loss 1.7 lbs/week

How are you measuring your activity burns? MFP already has the deficit built in so you should be netting 1200 a day. MFP also tends to exaggerate exercise burns, so perhaps eat half of your exercise calories back and see how you feel. Like Hornsby said, you cannot be eating zero sugars unless you're just eating meat.

Unless you have a medical issue with sugar, there really is no reason to "detox". If you wish to cut back on sugar as a personal choice, then have at it. But I don't think your withdrawals are coming from the lack of sugar itself. More like you might be burning yourself out from not eating enough to fuel your workouts.

Fair enough, yeah, it's a personal choice. Huge sweet tooth to the point that I gained 20 lbs from lack of self-control.

There you go. You said it. It's lack of self control, not an addiction, and not the fault of the sugar.

Also, not allowing myths to continue to propagate is not the same as being unsupportive. In fact, correcting false views based on junk science is more supportive than just blindly allowing a person to believe in the woo.

How is that not an addiction? Genuinely curious

Because addiction has very little, if anything, to do with self control. Addiction is a physical change in the body that causes the addict to become dependent upon the substance which will cause withdrawal symptoms up to, and including death, if that substance is not ingested. An addicted person does not lack self control. An addicted person lacks the physical capability of staying away from their addiction until they are weaned off.

Sugar does not have this affect on the body. Any "withdrawal" symptoms you experience happen because you've been told by people you trust that these symptoms are real, i.e. the placebo effect.

A craving for something is not an addiction. You can control yourself, but you stated that you are lacking that self control which means you are consciously choosing not to control yourself.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

So, you still eat sugars ... therefore not "detoxing" as the OP desires. Of course, the fact sugar isn't a toxin makes "detoxing" an impossibility ... simple word meanings.

the massive contradiction of sugar adversely affects me but I still eat it is always an interesting dichotomy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Especially agreeing with the bolded. I wonder if those people have ever given up sugar and if so if they were symptom-free.

@mardetox Here's the link to the Low Carb Daily group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • nvmomketo
    Options

My sugar garams are between 2g and 8g of sugar per day and my total carbs are usually under 50g. I've had days where my only sugars come from the cream in my coffee. Usually the rest come from spinach, celery, eggs, and such.

Unless you are a complete carnivore, you are going to get some carbs, and some sugar, in your diet. That doesn't mean you don't feel their removal. Is a smoker not going to notice going from a pack a day to one? How about the alcoholic who only gets a half glass of wine?

Yes I know that what I felt when I removed sugars from my diet (as much as possible without eating 100% meat) was not comparable to what an addict went through, but it was a lot more uncomfortable for me than others I know who reduced sugar and had no problems with sugar to begin with.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    jul_ohare wrote: »
    I totally did feel fatigue coming off sugar. The good news is...it won't last. Are you eating a green apple every day. It really helps to balance blood sugar and makes the cravings back off. Make sure you are drinking lots of water...it helps if there is some lemon, a dash of cinnamon and Cayenne pepper in it (I know, sounds gross but it really does work and you get use to the taste...even start to crave it. It will help you flush all that sugar out of your system. When you eat fruit, make sure it is low on the glycemic index...green apples and berries are the best. Bananas and pineapple the worst. If you eat very sugary fruit, do it early in the morning so your body has time to burn it off. You may also want to switch to almond milk because cows milk has a great deal of natural sugar.
    So now natural sugar is bad now??
    Only if it's from a evil moo-moo machine (cow), it's okay to eat simple syrup barnacles (fruits).
  • ALLENFLO
    ALLENFLO Posts: 61 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Go for a nice long walk outside. That will get you some exercise and you won't have to burn yourself out with some major cardio workout.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Especially agreeing with the bolded. I wonder if those people have ever given up sugar and if so if they were symptom-free.

@mardetox Here's the link to the Low Carb Daily group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I get really confused the way LC people use the words "sugar" and "carbs" interchangeably. Are they actually the same exact thing?
  • brianpperkins
    edited July 2015
    Options

My sugar garams are between 2g and 8g of sugar per day and my total carbs are usually under 50g. I've had days where my only sugars come from the cream in my coffee. Usually the rest come from spinach, celery, eggs, and such.

Unless you are a complete carnivore, you are going to get some carbs, and some sugar, in your diet. That doesn't mean you don't feel their removal. Is a smoker not going to notice going from a pack a day to one? How about the alcoholic who only gets a half glass of wine?

Yes I know that what I felt when I removed sugars from my diet (as much as possible without eating 100% meat) was not comparable to what an addict went through, but it was a lot more uncomfortable for me than others I know who reduced sugar and had no problems with sugar to begin with.

Thank you for undermining your own argument.

Did you account for glycogenesis?

Keto gets a bad rep because of zealots that spout fallacies.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Oh please. More assumptions. Ridiculous.

"I wonder" indicates a question, not an assumption.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Oh please. More assumptions. Ridiculous.

"I wonder" indicates a question, not an assumption.

Not necessarily. And certainly not in your post. You've been here long enough to know the answer to that "question", and you've been here long enough for us to know your intentions.