Processed food......wowzers!

Options
I ate my first processed food today in 10 days without thinking about it. My belly isn't very happy with me.

Replies

• techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    What did you eat?
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Funny how soon your body (and mind) start rejecting things bad for you once you start feeding them with things that are good for them, huh?
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've been there a couple of times. I hope you feel better!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How are you defining processed?
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    How are you defining processed?

I would like to know this also.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Funny how soon your body (and mind) start rejecting things bad for you once you start feeding them with things that are good for them, huh?

Sounds like it's all in your head.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Almost everything we eat is processed, technically.

The FDA's US Code 2010: The term “processed food” means any food other than a raw agricultural commodity and includes any raw agricultural commodity that has been subject to processing, such as canning, cooking, freezing, dehydration, or milling.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

Funny how abrupt changes in diet can cause stomach issues, huh?
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I ate my first processed food today in 10 days without thinking about it. My belly isn't very happy with me.

Whenever you abruptly change the types of food you eat, your gut wont be very happy for a day or so. Try switching to "real food" after eating MRE's for 6 months...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    Almost everything we eat is processed, technically.

The FDA's US Code 2010: The term “processed food” means any food other than a raw agricultural commodity and includes any raw agricultural commodity that has been subject to processing, such as canning, cooking, freezing, dehydration, or milling.

that. lol

the only thing that gives me pause with prepackaged foods are the sodium levels. But since I don't have high blood pressure, its not really a big deal.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It really depends on which processed food you ate and whether or not you are sensitive to certain foods/additives.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    techgal128 wrote: »
    What did you eat?

Yeah, what was it. :)

Actually curious (not a forum hero).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    so you have ate nothing for ten days???
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

...which is exactly why I added the 'mind' part.

Indeed.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Exactly.

Upping your intake of veggies can cause stomach problems. Is that a sign they are bad?
    Eating low fat then eating more than usual will cause stomach problems, even if it is from "good" sources like an avocado.
    Eating bland food for a few days then adding in spice will do the same thing.

It is not an indication of whether food is "good" or "bad".
  • Midwestwineguy
    Midwestwineguy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Processed was the sauce (powder mixed with water) on my sweet and sour chicken. Lousy feeling only lasted a few. I was able to get on the bike trainer for 35 minutes with no problem.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Processed was the sauce (powder mixed with water) on my sweet and sour chicken. Lousy feeling only lasted a few. I was able to get on the bike trainer for 35 minutes with no problem.

maybe the sauce was bad and upset your stomach?
  • Midwestwineguy
    Midwestwineguy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

No......it was in my stomach.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Nothing will **** my **** up like a plain steamed bag of soybeans
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Sure, "processed" can be applied astonishingly broadly. I eat a fair amount of canned foods (tomatoes and simmer sauces), to say nothing of desserts and cereal. But there are degrees. Everything from canned tomatoes and packaged tuna to, say, shelf-stable microwaveable ravioli.

Blerch. I *really* wanted pasta, so figured the microwaveable ravioli couldn't be *that* bad, despite the calorie hit and sodium content.

It was astonishingly mediocre, with negligible flavor. And not that filling for the amount I ate.

I already reconciled to most snack chips being nothing but "Sugar, salt & fat" or "Bag O Calories" (The Monsters, Inc. ride at Disneyland did wonders for curbing my desire for vending machine snacks!), but after a year of minimally processed foods, the ravioli was pretty revolting.

This discussion has been closed.