Processed food......wowzers!

Options

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    The box of ground up pig knucles, gristle, fat, trimming scraps that gets sold as the generic cheap dinner sausage. Add 2400mg sodium

To me that is a processed meat product

Like Spam!

I pass on those. But if you dig it, rock on my brother!!

I definitely don't want to food experiment before a long ride. Not good!
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Well, I am sure that under certain circumstances your body can be unhappy about certain foods.
    I have IBS and used to eat french fries once a week and drink carbonated soda. It never really sat well, but I built up a tolerance to it.
    Since I moved out, started eating more "clean", my tummy gets immediately upset after drinking carbonated drinks and I will definetly regret eating french fries in an hour or so.
    I do eat plenty other processed foods though. So it really depends on what is in them.
  • msmindyf
    msmindyf Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I totally understand. I get a little discomfort almost simultaneously after i eat something processed like a cookie. (My friend of days past)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Six weeks after I did my diet flip, I broke down and ate most of a cheeseburger. It didn't make me sick, but it was uncomfortable. I felt different and not well. There's just a healthier, more energetic, UP kind of feeling that comes with eating healthier foods.

I get it. :)

Good for you, eating better. Way to go! :)

"dem feels" does not mean a food is bad for you…

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Commercial pizza makes me really sick now....be it frozen or chain restaurant. But, if I make it at home or go to a homey mom and pop place where they make the sauce and dough in store, I can eat it. (I avoid cured meats everywhere) I figure it must be the preservatives and crap ton of extra salt in some food - not high BP issues - I get nauseous. Other fast food and highly processed foods sneak up on me too. Not all fast food does this.....so its not a mental trick or anything.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    but after a year of minimally processed foods, the ravioli was pretty revolting.
    So would you say it was ... raviolting?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Six weeks after I did my diet flip, I broke down and ate most of a cheeseburger. It didn't make me sick, but it was uncomfortable. I felt different and not well. There's just a healthier, more energetic, UP kind of feeling that comes with eating healthier foods.

So if a food that makes someone feel uncomfortable, different and/or not well that food is not "bad" for them. I guess it would depend on your definition of "bad". How are you defining the word "bad".

While the food itself might not be unhealthy in general IMO any food that causes one to not to feel well...makes them uncomfortable...or their general health feels different...that food in essence is "bad" for that individual. However that doesn't mean that it applies to anyone elses use of that food.

"Bad" as I used it refers to the cause of feeling less than optimal.

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    Funny how soon your body (and mind) start rejecting things bad for you once you start feeding them with things that are good for them, huh?

Sounds like it's all in your head.

No......it was in my stomach.

Loool
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    ariamythe wrote: »
    but after a year of minimally processed foods, the ravioli was pretty revolting.
    So would you say it was ... raviolting?

giphy.gif
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    The box of ground up pig knucles, gristle, fat, trimming scraps that gets sold as the generic cheap dinner sausage. Add 2400mg sodium
    "The less the people know about how sausages and laws are made, the better they sleep in the night." - unknown
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

So if a food that makes someone feel uncomfortable, different and/or not well that food is not "bad" for them. I guess it would depend on your definition of "bad". How are you defining the word "bad".

While the food itself might not be unhealthy in general IMO any food that causes one to not to feel well...makes them uncomfortable...or their general health feels different...that food in essence is "bad" for that individual. However that doesn't mean that it applies to anyone elses use of that food.

eating something that you believe is bad and then thinking "oh, I just ate that cheeseburger and it was bad for me" triggers a mental response then that then makes one "feel" bad, AKA a self fulfilling prophecy..

Now, if you eat a cheeseburger and it sets off a gut bomb that causes you to dash to the bathroom then that would be bad..

that is the distinction.

feeling something does not make it so.
  • dizzieblondeuk
    dizzieblondeuk Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'll look elsewhere other than this online community for support and friendly interaction from now on.

Why is questioning whether the issue is "processing," a term that is misused quite often, unfriendly or unsupportive?

How were we supposed to know you were seeking support or even feeling proud? Your post was about feeling bad.

I wasn't putting you down by asking what you meant by "processed." I was trying to clarify what you were saying.
    The fact that it was post Number 1 of this user should have clued people (not necessarily your post) in that this person isn't one of the 'initiated'! ;) Look, I get that putting people right about all kinds of preconceptions they have about their diet, different foods etc is part of what this forum is about, but I definitely read a whole bunch of fairly aggressively worded take-downs on a simple original post. Sure, they didn't specifically say 'support me', but really, did they have to?

Whilst parts of this forum are populated by amazingly supportive people, with encouraging stories and experiences to share, and advice to give, other parts seem to be populated by the Thought and Word Police where, if an uninitiated person uses words like detox or processed mistakenly, they can be shouted down for around 30 posts, before someone more reasonable steps in and checks exactly what the OP was asking! By which time, the poster has usually long abandoned the thread!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    msmindyf wrote: »
    I totally understand. I get a little discomfort almost simultaneously after i eat something processed like a cookie. (My friend of days past)

A cookie? If I bake cookies at home from fresh ingredients, is that processed?
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'll look elsewhere other than this online community for support and friendly interaction from now on.

Why is questioning whether the issue is "processing," a term that is misused quite often, unfriendly or unsupportive?

How were we supposed to know you were seeking support or even feeling proud? Your post was about feeling bad.

I wasn't putting you down by asking what you meant by "processed." I was trying to clarify what you were saying.
    The fact that it was post Number 1 of this user should have clued people (not necessarily your post) in that this person isn't one of the 'initiated'! ;) Look, I get that putting people right about all kinds of preconceptions they have about their diet, different foods etc is part of what this forum is about, but I definitely read a whole bunch of fairly aggressively worded take-downs on a simple original post. Sure, they didn't specifically say 'support me', but really, did they have to?

Whilst parts of this forum are populated by amazingly supportive people, with encouraging stories and experiences to share, and advice to give, other parts seem to be populated by the Thought and Word Police where, if an uninitiated person uses words like detox or processed mistakenly, they can be shouted down for around 30 posts, before someone more reasonable steps in and checks exactly what the OP was asking! By which time, the poster has usually long abandoned the thread!

Spot on.

And the eventual denial of any intent to bash the use of a given term through the tired "I honestly just wanted you to define it" is particularly sad. It's clear that a productive conversation regarding the value of given foods isn't possible, because half of the participants are on a mission to destroy the idea as if driven by a divine mandate.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »

eating something that you believe is bad and then thinking "oh, I just ate that cheeseburger and it was bad for me" triggers a mental response then that then makes one "feel" bad, AKA a self fulfilling prophecy..

Now, if you eat a cheeseburger and it sets off a gut bomb that causes you to dash to the bathroom then that would be bad..

that is the distinction.

feeling something does not make it so.

The bolded...

I ate pizza last week...I knew it was bad for me (sodium level)...despite that...it was really good! Didn't make me sick...I could have eaten more.

I understand what you are saying however. As human beings we are emotional creatures. We go through life (IMO) basing a lot of what we do...what we like or don't like on our emotions/feelings. Food falls in that category. We overeat at holidays...stuff ourselves...have just one more bite...not because we are hungry but because of that "feeling". Afterwards we swear that we won't eat for days only to end up back in the kitchen before bedtime having just one more taste.

Whether someones reaction to food is caused by psychological reasons or not the reaction is real.

• Annie_01
    Options

Spot on.

And the eventual denial of any intent to bash the use of a given term through the tired "I honestly just wanted you to define it" is particularly sad. It's clear that a productive conversation regarding the value of given foods isn't possible, because half of the participants are on a mission to destroy the idea as if driven by a divine mandate.

I agree with both of these posts.

I am no self-proclaimed clean eater. Nor do I panic over the "S" word. I don't do detoxes nor Shakeology. I haven't even done a BeachBody workout. I don't eat low-carb.

I do however enjoy reading about how other people have chosen to eat whether I agree with it or not. Generally however within a few posts it has turned in to the same "discussion" that occurs on so many of these threads.

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Spot on.

Helping people understand that an individual item of food, outside of the context of their overall diet, is neither good or bad, IS productive. Perpetuating the mindset that a singular food should or should not be consumed, based on a term or idea that cannot be defined or substantiated, is not productive. Every one of these divinely mandated participants you refer to fully advocate eating a well balanced, nutritious diet that fits within one's goals, and that it can be done without trying to define things within a label that can't be validated.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

Spot on.

Helping people understand that an individual item of food, outside of the context of their overall diet, is neither good or bad, IS productive. Perpetuating the mindset that a singular food should or should not be consumed, based on a term or idea that cannot be defined or substantiated, is not productive. Every one of these divinely mandated participants you refer to fully advocate eating a well balanced, nutritious diet that fits within one's goals, and that it can be done without trying to define things within a label that can't be validated.

I'm not going to try to change your religion. If you want to believe that Twinkies and vegetables are dietary equals, go right ahead.

The contempt shown for anyone who disagrees is the problem. I choose to recognize that some foods are more valuable to my health. Why are you so insecure in your beliefs that you have to argue that point every single time it arises?
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »

Spot on.

I'm not going to try to change your religion. If you want to believe that Twinkies and vegetables are dietary equals, go right ahead.

The contempt shown for anyone who disagrees is the problem. I choose to recognize that some foods are more valuable to my health. Why are you so insecure in your beliefs that you have to argue that point every single time it arises?

Your problem is you assume anybody is claiming those 2 to be dietary equals. Never, not once, have I seen that. If you would open your mind to allow a logical discussion, one could be had. Answer this. If I, through the course of the day, have consumed a variety of foods such that I have met my macro AND micro nutrient needs, and have calories to spare, and want to eat something, what specific benefit do I receive by choosing more veggies over the Twinkie? Or, conversely, when my nutrient needs have been met, what harm does the Twinkie cause to my body or health? Substantiate your accusation, if you can. I encourage intelligent debate, but so far you have proven incapable.
This discussion has been closed.