I couldn't believe my breakfast entry!

Options

Replies

• blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    But, OMG, wasn't it good. I LOVE that burrito. The jalapenos, yum!
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I miss bagels, croissants, scones, and muffins for this very reason. I love them all but the calorie count is WAY crazy. I also miss english muffins, even at only 150-200, that's pushing it...
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Earl of Sandwich. My office catered in lunch, I figured it couldn't be horrible as it was no wider/longer than my phone and not all that tall. 700 calories. *sigh* Let's not even talk about what happened at Cheddar's...
    Over eating by 200-300 calories... not horrible. Disillusionment to calories at a restaurant... horrible.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I'm actually fairly angry with myself for it. .......

580. 580!?! I almost cried.

This is not a healthy reaction to overeating by 200 Calories.

Why not? Being angry and frustrated when you find you've overeaten through misjudgement is not necessarily unhealthy.

200 calories isn't really the end of the world. A surprise? Yeah, but 200 calories is pretty easy to make up. Just go for a walk. Even a leisurely one can burn off more than that. Having a breakdown over 200 calories suggests to me that you might want to take a break from tracking for a while (I've been down that road, not fun).

I went to O'Charley's once and got their honey glazed chicken. I knew it'd be on the high end, due to the breading and cooking method, but it turns out that the chicken alone is something like 1200 calories, and that's not even including the sides! Given that a chicken breast is all of about 300 calories for the amount provided, that means they managed to cram 900 calories in on top of that! Talk about a shocker!

Of course 200 calories isn't the end of the world. Being angry at yourself is not the end of the world either.

But 200 calories isn't even really worth getting angry about, though, especially at breakfast, when you have the rest of the day to adjust the rest of your meals or go for a walk. Hell, if your goal is to lose a pound a week, you could eat over your calorie limit by 200 calories every single day and still lose a little over half a pound.

I agree, people sometimes make way to big of a deal over something like this, and it is a little unhealthy to have such a bad reaction to overeating by only 200 calories. Sometimes you just need a damn breakfast burrito hahaha. It's food learn to enjoy it sometimes, just learn how to not overdue it all fo the time!
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing the "almost cried" in the OP was hyperbole. LOL

In any event, now you know, and you can make a better choice (or not) the next time.

I have totally had those moments where something I thought was a good choice turned out to be not so much. Like the iced green tea at Panera. 130 calories for a drink. Now, I'm not freaking out over 130 calories, but I prefer to drink water or plain iced tea with 0 calories so I'm eating rather than drinking my calories. I assumed, stupidly, that the green iced tea would be the same as the regular black iced tea. Instead it was sweetened. Annoying, but now I know not to order that.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I ate at Zaxby's and their grilled chicken sandwich was nearly 700 calories. My husband got a banana pudding milkshake and that was 800 calories. We are never eating at Zaxby's again.

It is weird because the same grilled chicken sandwich at Chick fil A is 310 calories, which is where we go instead.
    The bread. They usually put butter on the insides, and if it's texas toast, it's just saturated in butter. Also sad as I like their food, but definitely not the calories.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    So? I don't see how any of that makes feeling angry about the extra 200 "unhealthy". People on MFP throw "unhealthy" around much too easily.

Maybe the OP didn't want to go for another walk. Maybe she didn't have time. Maybe she just gets angry at herself when she guesses incorrectly. Whatever her reason(s), just because she was angry with herself doesn't make her reaction unhealthy.

Getting angry or upset with yourself to the point that you nearly push yourself to tears over 200 calories is starting to get into unhealthy territory. When looked at as an isolated thing, sure, it's not that bad (hey, who doesn't get upset at themselves over something once in a while?), but such mindsets are rarely isolated, especially when food is involved. They're often indicative of an emotional relationship to food (even one just forming) and can spiral very quickly if not recognized and changes (even mental ones) made to account for it.

And time (or lack thereof) is a horrible excuse, especially when we're talking a 200 calorie difference - http://www.fitsugar.com/Short-Exercises-Burn-200-Calories-25455818 (even if you legitimately have no time today, there's always tomorrow) - but even if we ignore the time excuse, it's still just 200 calories. Skip the midmorning snack, or forego the bun on your burger at lunch and you've made up for it. However, as I originally stated, even if you don't bother doing anything to make up for it, it's not going to make or break you, especially if you've otherwise been on target for the week.

Yes, even on a 1,200 calorie diet, it won't make or break your weight loss for the week. Even at 1,200 calories, you're very likely still looking to lose weight, and as such, have MFP set to lose at least half a pound a week (the smallest increment), which builds in a 250+ calorie per day deficit. Even at 250 calories per day deficit, that's still a 1750 calorie deficit over the course of the week. So even if you never make up that 200 calories, if you're on target the rest of the week, that's still a 1550 calorie deficit you've maintained. Oh no, you've lost .4 pounds instead of .5, or you've lost .9 pounds instead of a full pound.

No matter how you slice it, 200 calories isn't worth getting worked up at all, let alone to the point of tears, or even almost to tears, over. Again, is it a surprise to find out the item you ate is worth twice the calories? Yeah, definitely. But getting worked up over it is more likely to derail you than the food itself will. Log it, learn from it, and move on and do better next time.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I did a stupid. I'm actually fairly angry with myself for it.

We went to Sonic this morning and I didn't have my iPad with me. Normally I look up and track everything before I eat it, but this time I thought I would get the "healthiest" looking thing that I saw. I got the Super Sonic burrito because it also had veggies, instead of just meat and cheese. I KNEW it would be a little higher, because of the added veggies. I had estimated it being about 350-400 calories.

580. 580!?! I almost cried. There was NOT enough burrito for it to be 580 calories. Thinking of the amount of fruit I could have had for 580 calories?!? Not to mention the sodium that is now swimming around in my body... I've learned my lesson! No more leaving the house without my iPad.

I guess the end of it is this:

Anything like this happen to anyone else? Are there foods out there that you've thought were going to be lower calories and it ends up being over the top?
    I don't think you have learned a lesson if you almost cry over your meals being 580 calories. If my meals could only equal 350 cals I'd have to eat over 6 meals every day which would take away from my daily activities and I'm almost underweight. Even being overweight shouldn't restrict you that far (it certainly didn't for me). As for one item containing salt, salt is easy to expel. Just drink some H2O. Not to mention your body needs some of that. If you are freaked about eating one item of food then chances are you're not getting enough salt. I know a few people who are constantly low on it and have to take supplements. Becoming dependent on an ipad and this site is not the solution.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    A MEDIUM timber joey shake from burgerville (mint and oreo) was 980 calories! A SMALL was 735!!! Wow!!!!!!!!!

Boneless wings surprised me (I would think bbq chicken breast with a piece of bread would be similar but NO)

Store bought Cheesecake. A tiny little piece that would have been 3 regular sized bites (2.3oz or 67g) was 225 calories! Wasn't nearly as good as homemade either.

There have been many, many things that have surprised me with how low they are though, so it's all good.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I had two pop tarts and a Snickers bar for breakfast. I'll go running later today and have plenty of room for dinner and evening snacks.
    No regrets.

^^^this^^^ totally!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree, people sometimes make way to big of a deal over something like this, and it is a little unhealthy to have such a bad reaction to overeating by only 200 calories. Sometimes you just need a damn breakfast burrito hahaha. It's food learn to enjoy it sometimes, just learn how to not overdue it all fo the time!

Nonsense. What health problems would one expect to suffer from getting upset from overeating? Who are you to tell someone else what they can get upset over?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So? I don't see how any of that makes feeling angry about the extra 200 "unhealthy". People on MFP throw "unhealthy" around much too easily.

Maybe the OP didn't want to go for another walk. Maybe she didn't have time. Maybe she just gets angry at herself when she guesses incorrectly. Whatever her reason(s), just because she was angry with herself doesn't make her reaction unhealthy.

Getting angry or upset with yourself to the point that you nearly push yourself to tears over 200 calories is starting to get into unhealthy territory. When looked at as an isolated thing, sure, it's not that bad (hey, who doesn't get upset at themselves over something once in a while?), but such mindsets are rarely isolated, especially when food is involved. They're often indicative of an emotional relationship to food (even one just forming) and can spiral very quickly if not recognized and changes (even mental ones) made to account for it.

And time (or lack thereof) is a horrible excuse, especially when we're talking a 200 calorie difference - http://www.fitsugar.com/Short-Exercises-Burn-200-Calories-25455818 (even if you legitimately have no time today, there's always tomorrow) - but even if we ignore the time excuse, it's still just 200 calories. Skip the midmorning snack, or forego the bun on your burger at lunch and you've made up for it. However, as I originally stated, even if you don't bother doing anything to make up for it, it's not going to make or break you, especially if you've otherwise been on target for the week.

Yes, even on a 1,200 calorie diet, it won't make or break your weight loss for the week. Even at 1,200 calories, you're very likely still looking to lose weight, and as such, have MFP set to lose at least half a pound a week (the smallest increment), which builds in a 250+ calorie per day deficit. Even at 250 calories per day deficit, that's still a 1750 calorie deficit over the course of the week. So even if you never make up that 200 calories, if you're on target the rest of the week, that's still a 1550 calorie deficit you've maintained. Oh no, you've lost .4 pounds instead of .5, or you've lost .9 pounds instead of a full pound.

No matter how you slice it, 200 calories isn't worth getting worked up at all, let alone to the point of tears, or even almost to tears, over. Again, is it a surprise to find out the item you ate is worth twice the calories? Yeah, definitely. But getting worked up over it is more likely to derail you than the food itself will. Log it, learn from it, and move on and do better next time.

I think you mean it isn't worth it to you to get worked up over 200 extra calories. The rest is just a bunch of assumptions and personal preferences and mathmatical details that have nothing to do with the OP.

Maybe the OP has a problem with food and maybe she doesn't. Neither of us knows from her post.
  • SisterhoodoftheShrinkingPants
    Options
    I did a stupid. I'm actually fairly angry with myself for it.

We went to Sonic this morning and I didn't have my iPad with me. Normally I look up and track everything before I eat it, but this time I thought I would get the "healthiest" looking thing that I saw. I got the Super Sonic burrito because it also had veggies, instead of just meat and cheese. I KNEW it would be a little higher, because of the added veggies. I had estimated it being about 350-400 calories.

580. 580!?! I almost cried. There was NOT enough burrito for it to be 580 calories. Thinking of the amount of fruit I could have had for 580 calories?!? Not to mention the sodium that is now swimming around in my body... I've learned my lesson! No more leaving the house without my iPad.

I guess the end of it is this:

Anything like this happen to anyone else? Are there foods out there that you've thought were going to be lower calories and it ends up being over the top?

yes I got a mcdonalds caramel frap and discovered later it has 900, count 900 calories..I was like "I drank most my days cals in less than a half hour"??!!! never again I tell ya, I make a mean frapp at home w coffee, creamer and ice for way under 150 cals now :) dont fret, tomorrows another day!!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Earl of Sandwich. My office catered in lunch, I figured it couldn't be horrible as it was no wider/longer than my phone and not all that tall. 700 calories. *sigh* Let's not even talk about what happened at Cheddar's...
    Over eating by 200-300 calories... not horrible. Disillusionment to calories at a restaurant... horrible.

I ate there yesterday...unless you're using one of these, I call shenanigans. Well worth the 700 calories. I normally order two.

brick-cell-phone.jpg

ETA:

earl_holiday_sandwich.jpg
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I don't get why this was a surprise. You were eating at Sonic - how could it possibly have gone well?
  • mandylgibbs
    mandylgibbs Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I split the small Holy ****take pizza at Mellow Mushroom with my sister. I almost DIED when I saw that it was 490 calories a slice and I had 2 slices!! OH MY GOD!!!
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Muffins are such tricksters. I know they are high in calories and fat but was still surprised a few weeks ago to find out the one I had eaten as a mid-morning snack was over 500 calories. I kept thinking the shop had some crazy mega muffin in their nutrition sheet and I had eaten the regular sized one which couldn't be more than 300 calories. I said Dang! and moved on. I think I was a bit over my calories for the day, but nothing to get upset over.
    What bugs me is not a high number of calories, but when the calories don't match up with my satisfaction with the item. It wasn't a great muffin, it wasn't worth it. I could have had a couple cookies, or grilled cheese sandwich, or bagel and cream cheese, or any number of other things for the same or less calories and been more satisfied. I have no problems "spending" a lot on a meal I really enjoy.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Nonsense. What health problems would one expect to suffer from getting upset from overeating? Who are you to tell someone else what they can get upset over?
    Nutrient deficiencies for one...but death is the common one.

I would hardly say 500 cal meal is over eating.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    Racetrac (a chain gas station around here) sells these warm, fresh baked cookies. It's just one cookie, about the size of your full palm. I wanted one and flipped it over hoping it wouldn't exceed 250 calories or so.

THAT ONE COOKIE WAS 480 CALORIES!!! I about died. I used to eat them all the time!

No way will I buy them now!
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I might add that Sonic is one of the worst fast food restaurants.
    If you’re just looking at calories they don’t seem any worse than mcdonalds to me. Small Tots is the only breakfast item I’ve gotten there, which is about 200 cals. Stuff like the grilled chicken whatevers and corn dogs are pretty low. I’ve never checked that breakfast burrito because I hate eggs in a tortilla. Yuk. (I also hate potatoes in a tortilla. That's redundant)
    Are you surprised those chicken tenders are that bad for you?? I think they are yummy, but they are the biggest tenders I have ever seen
    And you get a ton of them! I am more surprised at things like the turkey sandwich (although I’m still mad they got rid of their old turkey sandwich so I never get it). Just about everything at chili’s is high.

For the OP, it had the word ‘super’ in the title. That usually doesn’t mean low cal 