I couldn't believe my breakfast entry!

Options

Replies

• tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Ok instead of "unhealthy", I'll phrase it a different way:
    Freaking out over 200 calories is indicative of an eating disorder.
    Better?

Oh, interesting! Where did you get your psychiatric training?

Mount Sinai School of Medicine. Where did you get yours?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Better?

Amazing what educational advances we have today. A full diagnosis can be made from a couple comments on a forum. I'm just amazed. Truly, my hat is off. I'm just... I need to hire you one day, we'll make a fortune.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Anything like this happen to anyone else? Are there foods out there that you've thought were going to be lower calories and it ends up being over the top?

It isn't stupid, it is good marketing and socialization of misinformation that tricks people. I have had a few "ah ha" moments myself, but the one I bring to people's attention most is drinks. People think more about food and calories, they completely skip thinking about calories from drinks, which is probably what leads to high calorie count days more than the food.

I example I use is that Starbucks Venti Carmel Macciado (sp?) that I see so many people pounding each morning, and maybe even one more during the day. If you had just one a day each week, that would be 2380 calories each week. If you are trying to stick to a 1500 calorie a day diet, that is over 20% of you calories for the week...that you drank! You haven't even had a meal! It is even worse for soda. I know guys that drink 2, 3, 4 or more a DAY! If you get a 32 ounce cup, with ice, it is probably only 24 ounces of soda, but that is 150, 300, 450, 600, or more calories A DAY respectively. Again, you haven't even eaten yet.
  • LaceyAnderson
    LaceyAnderson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I was actually eating kids meals at Culver's because I thought they would be lower in calories. Then I found out they have over 1000 calories (with diet soda). Yikes! Also, I do think people do get a bit too serious on here. I didn't take the OP's post to mean that she was having a panic attack over eating 200 more calories than she had thought, I just took it to mean she was really surprised that something that small had that many calories.
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm actually fairly angry with myself for it. .......

580. 580!?! I almost cried.

This is not a healthy reaction to overeating by 200 Calories.

^^^ This...suck it up and move on. Everybody makes mistakes, there will be good days and bad days. It's life, not a theatrical performance :smile: No perfection in the real world.

Drink lots and lots of water and have some fiber to help everything pass. The rest of the day brings new opportunities and chances to make better choices and exercise.

Good luck on your journey!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Better?

Amazing what educational advances we have today. A full diagnosis can be made from a couple comments on a forum. I'm just amazed. Truly, my hat is off. I'm just... I need to hire you one day, we'll make a fortune.

In the rush to sarcasm you seemed to have missed the word "indicative" and rushed instead to claim that a "full diagnosis" was made. I'm really enjoying the forums today.
  • foodie99
    foodie99 Posts: 92
    Options
    I loved going to chipotle and I would always order a burrito bowl and chips and guacamole. The burrito bowl has about 900 calories and the chips and guacamole had 1200 calories in it. This was a super big eye opener. The amount of calories I ate in 1 meal was what I am now eating in 1 full day and working out. Don't let it get you too upset use it as a learning tool and move on. Make sure you drink plenty of water today to rid the body of the extra sodium.

My Chipotle bowl is 750ish with cheese and sour cream, no guac. Still high, but manageable if I plan for it. If you love Chipotle the way I do, might be worth adjusting your toppings to see what you can do.
  • foodie99
    foodie99 Posts: 92
    Options
    Sbarro's pizza. Had two slices for lunch yesterday and OMG! I thought for sure the system was showing calories for the thick slices, but no, 400 calories for one slice of thin crust cheese pizza. Wow!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    this is why i never order anything while eating out without knowing how many calories its going to run me
  • donna710
    donna710 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    that happened to me at Chick Fil A with their chicken salad sandwich....510 calories!! and at Red Robin with their appetizer chips and guacamole 550 calories!! I couldn't believe it. And I thought I was being alittle healthier..
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Who'd a thunk, cheese, eggs and fried potatoes would be kinda calorie dense

"Let the big flavor of the SuperSONIC® Breakfast Burrito get you out of bed. A medley of savory sausage, fluffy scrambled eggs, melty cheddar cheese, golden tots, diced onions, ripe tomatoes and spicy jalapeños all wrapped up in a warm flour tortilla"

Sounds kind of delicious. Thanks. Now I want one!
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I agree that freaking out to the point of tears over misjudging your calorie consumption is indicative of some unhealthy thinking around food. It's really not THAT big of a deal. An extra 200-something calories ONE DAY will not de-rail you :smokin:
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Also, you probably ARE still eating healthier (than you were before you started logging) by being ~at all~ conscientious when you're ordering. So, don't freak out.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Better?

In the rush to sarcasm you seemed to have missed the word "indicative" and rushed instead to claim that a "full diagnosis" was made. I'm really enjoying the forums today.

So, based on this one comment by the OP, you'd suspect an eating disorder and recommend a full workup? Yeah, sounds like a trained psychiatrist.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I am such a stickler I plan my meals the day before, I can't tell you how many times I have had this happen to me!
    For example, when I would be in a pinch for breakfast, I would stop at Sheetz and get a small fruit smoothie, well, turns out the fruit smoothies are not even made with real fruit, and are loaded with calories. No protein, so really, all it had was carbs/sugar, and more calories than the breakfast sandwiches!

I ended up buying my own smoothie maker and made a MUCH healthier smoothie and I knew what was going in it.

And while others feel that "oh, it's just 200 calories", when you're counting, and you don't have as much free time, 200 calories is A LOT. Especially if your calorie allowance is pretty low as is.
    I work full time, and I have a one year old, it's not always easy to plan the time to do an additional work out to burn off those 200 calories.
  • skuehn84
    skuehn84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Dairy Queen S'more Blizzard. Obviously I knew it was going to be high, it is ice cream and candy after all. I got the small and it was DELICIOUS. But, it was 780 calories. I figured 500 - 600 maximum and had the calories for that. Did not have the calories for almost 800. My treadmill and I got very well aquainted that evening.
  • ladybuggprincess99
    ladybuggprincess99 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm actually fairly angry with myself for it. .......

580. 580!?! I almost cried.

This is not a healthy reaction to overeating by 200 Calories.

Why not? Being angry and frustrated when you find you've overeaten through misjudgement is not necessarily unhealthy.

200 calories isn't really the end of the world. A surprise? Yeah, but 200 calories is pretty easy to make up. Just go for a walk. Even a leisurely one can burn off more than that. Having a breakdown over 200 calories suggests to me that you might want to take a break from tracking for a while (I've been down that road, not fun).

I went to O'Charley's once and got their honey glazed chicken. I knew it'd be on the high end, due to the breading and cooking method, but it turns out that the chicken alone is something like 1200 calories, and that's not even including the sides! Given that a chicken breast is all of about 300 calories for the amount provided, that means they managed to cram 900 calories in on top of that! Talk about a shocker!

Of course 200 calories isn't the end of the world. Being angry at yourself is not the end of the world either.

But 200 calories isn't even really worth getting angry about, though, especially at breakfast, when you have the rest of the day to adjust the rest of your meals or go for a walk. Hell, if your goal is to lose a pound a week, you could eat over your calorie limit by 200 calories every single day and still lose a little over half a pound.

So? I don't see how any of that makes feeling angry about the extra 200 "unhealthy". People on MFP throw "unhealthy" around much too easily.

Maybe the OP didn't want to go for another walk. Maybe she didn't have time. Maybe she just gets angry at herself when she guesses incorrectly. Whatever her reason(s), just because she was angry with herself doesn't make her reaction unhealthy.

Better?

No, because it's still not true. But I'll fix it for you.

Freaking out over 200 calories on a regular basis may be indicative of an eating disorder.

Thank you for "fixing" his mistake.

I have no eating disorder, nor is it appropriate for anyone to assume I do based off one post. I think your comment was disgusting and uncalled for. Grow up. I freaked out, yes, but for a few reasons. Some of them, frankly, are none of MFP's business. Are you telling me that you've never made a mistake? Or gotten upset?

I missed where I stated I wasn't ever going to eat again... or that I hated food... Or that I was going to starve myself... Or that I was giving up. Can someone point that out for me? I don't think you can.

Frankly, if I wanted to deal with this kind of moronic behavior, I would have stayed with my ex.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    omg all of these posts are making me rethink eating lunch out.

Any suggestions??

Dont' eat. Eating has been proven to cause cancer and eventual death in humans. I'd also avoid water at all costs.

omg I am so screwed.....
    in the end it's oxygen that kills you - if nothing else :wink:
  • ladybuggprincess99
    ladybuggprincess99 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Dairy Queen S'more Blizzard. Obviously I knew it was going to be high, it is ice cream and candy after all. I got the small and it was DELICIOUS. But, it was 780 calories. I figured 500 - 600 maximum and had the calories for that. Did not have the calories for almost 800. My treadmill and I got very well aquainted that evening.

My treadmill and I became besties last night. I beat the living daylights out of him. :) I feel better.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

My treadmill and I became besties last night. I beat the living daylights out of him. :) I feel better.

Girl I am glad you feel better --> and the boys are correct, you can make a "naughty" choice fit into your daily macros, but I HAVE lost alot of weight. I found it easiest to lose the first 50 with keeping things consistent

Naughty days happen to all of us. Just make sure you are honest about what they are.

I am glad you "worked it out".