I couldn't believe my breakfast entry!

Options

Replies

• LiamKimbell
    Options
    I like my OJ but the carbs and sugars are also high in fresh squeezed from just 3 navel oranges.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    When I was working in my office, I made a point to look up the lowest calorie, tastiest options of any of the surrounding fast food joints so I would have a go-to. I knew bringing my own food was always better, but sometimes it just wasn't in the cards, so I would always have a fall-back.

Subway, Chick-Fil-A, Panda Express and Wendy's were usually my choices. High in sodium, but I could always find low-calorie, filling choices for these in particular, which were very close to me. On special days, I would go get a large hot and sour soup from the local chinese restaurant, full of mushrooms and tofu. Yum.

You learn over time what will work with your allotment and what won't. It's just a process. I think we all have those beginner "OMGWTF" moments... and still do, at times. No worries.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I sometimes juggle my calories around just so I can have a higher calorie breakfast. Sometimes my oatmeal alone comes to 500 calories with the toppings and mix-ins.

Sadly, Sonic hasn't been a place I like to frequent. We've sat in the car reading the menu and looking up nutrition on our phones and then turned around and gone somewhere else. XD
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    My normal breakfast is 2 eggs, 2 egg whites, 2 slices of bacon and half an avocado. 500+ calories.

I guess if you are being silly and trying to eat 1200 calories a day and haven't figured out your BMR and TDEE that's bad. For most people a 600 calories breakfast isn't all that bad.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Shave 33, just 33, calories a day off the other 6 days in the week and you've made up that 200 calories (well.. 198).

I'd be annoyed if I misjudged 200 calories on a rest day, otherwise I'd just run another mile and a half or do 15 extra minutes or so of cardio before I hit the weights.
  • ladybuggprincess99
    ladybuggprincess99 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    ///
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    You would have to have one of these "disastrous" +200 calorie days for SEVENTEEN days in a row to equal one pound.

Or said another way, if you have this level of "failure" every single week for over FOUR MONTHS, you will be a pound heavier than you would be otherwise.

And yet, people let this kind of thing get them down to the point that they completely give up. It's that "all or nothing" mentality that is so incredibly dangerous (in regards to the successfulness of their efforts).

I haven't been to Sonic in over a year...

...but thanks to this post, I plan to seek one out later this week to enjoy one of these breakfast burritos...

...so at least some good has come of this.
  • ladybuggprincess99
    ladybuggprincess99 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    YES! in fact not only did I start to cry because I felt so "dumb" by giving up what I really wanted for what I THOUGHT would be a better choice. I even wrote a blog about my melt down :cry:

For me it was a shrimp salad and come to find out the dressing alone was 800 calories plus another almost 200 calories for the lettuce & shrimp.

Our Sonics have the calorie amount on the menu now, maybe you can ask your Sonic to do that.

Edited to say: don't be too hard on yourself. It happens when we have a calorie range we want to stay in but go over, so plan an extra workout or a walk around the block to burn off the difference. Oh and ignore the comments of those who don't encourage you... always gotta be a few. :flowerforyou:

Thanks. Apparently I need to give my entire life story in order for people not to make snap assumptions. I more than appreciate your nice words. :)
  • Vivian06703188
    Vivian06703188 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I went to Zaxby's yesterday on the way home from the airport. I was exhausted and just wanted to get a salad and go to bed. I ordered their buffalo chicken salad and it came with toast which I did not eat. Thinking I was being good. I looked up the calories after I ate about half the salad and it was 810 calories without the toast. UNREAL!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    any fast food is mega sodium.....
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Me too. I almost always look before I eat. A big surprise is a turkey sandwich on wheat from quick trip is like 800 calories. A 2 oz beef steak from jacks link is 130. Grilled Breakfast sandwich at jack is almost 800 Cal. Can make at home for 1/2 Cal. Just crazy. That's why I try to stay away from restaurants or prepackaged foods.
  • Simone_King
    Simone_King Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Subway subs.

12 inch you eat two meals in one sitting.

Nacho's.

Taco Salad. One of those can have over 1000 cals.

*sighs.* It sucks.

Chicken burgers (chick fil la and the like.) can have over 500 cals. Add the French fries and what not? You got a meal that is high cals.

Though, I managed to cut back on all of that. If I want chick fil la I will have one item. That's all you really need.

Edited.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Restaurants? If you want to eat crap, feel like crap and look like crap, then go.
    Make real food at home if you value your health!
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Almost everything is high in calories and overall just bad for you. Stick with whole fruits and vegetables - can't go wrong!
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Everyone at work kept talking about the Arby's chicken salad sandwich, sounds good but it packs 840 calories!!! glad I checked before I got it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Restaurants? If you want to eat crap, feel like crap and look like crap, then go.
    Make real food at home if you value your health!

Fortunately, restaurants have started using actual food ingredients in their food prep instead of crap. Apparently, focus groups found it far more preferable compared to eating crap. Who knew?
  • londonboyben
    londonboyben Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    a few days ago i thought i would have some instant noodles just because it was quick and easy,
    seriously how many calories can they have,

OVER 1000!!!
    someone will probably say its obviously going to be high because they know better than me, but i was stupidly shocked when i entered them on here,
  • ALittlePixieDust
    ALittlePixieDust Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I was invited to a thank you dinner at a restaurant. I had had a terrible day - we had lost a pet that day and I found out my best friend had about a week to live. I went to the dinner very stressed out but reminded myself that there was no reason to freak out with food.

I looked for the healthiest thing I could on the menu (with all the chaos I didn't get a chance to look in advance online like i usually do). I ordered a dinner that had a chicken breast with BBQ sauce, side of broccoli and some mashed potatos (those has a sprinkling of cheese and a few bits of bacon). I knew the mashed potatos would get me but figured it wouldn't be that bad. I had about 850 calories left for the day out of my 1360.

When I got home - I looked it up - the meal was 1350 calories! I did cry....probably was more the emotion of the day then anything but I couldn't believe I was so off (I had estimated about 900 calories based on portions).

The next morning I just moved on and kept chugging away.

It is amazing what we think vs what things are sometimes. I don't think it is unhealthy to be upset. We do the best we can but we are human and sometimes we get upset at things. All we can do is move forward! :flowerforyou:
  • kmsairam
    kmsairam Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake factory. I exercised and planned on having a slice of cheesecake. I only ate half, thinking I'd probably had about 400 cals. Think again! When I looked it up afterward, I ordered the one cheesecake that was 1600 calories. Not my finest moment.
  • KAS0917
    KAS0917 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I did it this weekend, by my own stupid error. I had a piece of cake. Well actually, I had 1/2 a piece of cake, because I saw that the whole cake serving was 290 calories, and 145 calories seemed like a reasonable "treat" over the weekend, spread over 2 days. Somehow I missed that the serving size was TWO, not ONE. So 1/2 was 290, not 145. Oops. It's truly not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, except I already had a couple of 'high' days earlier in the week I was trying to balance out, and because I specifically bought the cake to be a 150 calorie treat. #fail