edited July 2015
    Options
    she eats around 1500-1600
  • initialsdeebee
    initialsdeebee Posts: 83 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    PokeyBug wrote: »
    The above makes sense, but my point is that it's possible to both overestimate and underestimate. You could base your loosely packed measuring cup on a number for a tightly packed cup just the same as the reverse. Some package labels might say a lower number than the scale and others might say higher. I get that scales can help and it's probably not a bad idea, for educational purposes if nothing else. I just don't think it makes sense to say no scale automatically equals over calorie budget every time without knowing or discussing more details related to the individual, their habits, what exactly they're eating or their mind set.

I get what you're saying, but I think that you're missing the fact that the people who are advised they may need to weigh instead of eyeball are the people who are mystified as to why they're not losing. I don't think a soul exists who is going to post a thread asking how to help slow down his weight loss. If you're eyeballing accurately or erring on the side of underestimating, you're not going to have a problem with loss and won't be requesting advice. Make sense?

Yeah but she says she's hungry all the time and exercises a lot. Measuring might help. It might help her be more consistent and get enough calories if she's overestimating maybe, then binging like she said. Or maybe she's eating too much when she binges and doesn't know it cause she's neither measuring weighing nor logging some things, she says. Or maybe it's a combination of not measuring food and exercise calories accurately then overdoing when trying to make up for all the exercise calories after becoming super ravenous later from the deficit. Who knows I'm no doctor. But if she's hungry and exercising and taking stairs and parking far away and thinking 1500 to 1600 is gross then there's probably more to it than simply "no scale = underestimating". which is what a few previous responses have implied or even pretty much said outright. I also see that type of instant jump in other threads and so just get tired of that over-simple way of putting it and think it doesn't make sense and is not a well rounded or thoughtful way to respond.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    What is your daily fibre intake? Fibre is very good at filling you up but people struggle with it on low carb diets.
  • katepace1
    katepace1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    But over 11 days 43 miscalculating is almost 500 calories ( and we all know that is a pound). So that is what you wipe out. just like that.

Did i read this wrong? A pound is 3000 cal...???
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Let's say you burn at least 400-500 per day in exercise, so net your calories are 1000-1100, so no wonder you're hungry! I tend to lose on 1800 a day if I'm exercising a lot, and I'm less likely to binge. On 1800 with a lot of exercise, I feel a little hungry now and then, but it's a big difference from 1400-1500.

You're also eating very little through the day considering the exercise, so it's no wonder at night when you're tired you give in and listen to your body.

I recommend having a more protein-dense breakfast rather than just coffee, more healthy snacks through the day, and plan a nice sweet treat after dinner in the evenings, like a big bowl of fruit or a healthier ice cream option. I find knowing I can have a serving of ice cream in the evening makes me happier as something to look forward to and makes it feel less like a "diet."
  • katepace1
    Options
    katepace1 wrote: »
    But over 11 days 43 miscalculating is almost 500 calories ( and we all know that is a pound). So that is what you wipe out. just like that.

A pound is ***3500*** cal...??? 500 per day is equal to a pound lost in a week.

• katepace1
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Let's say you burn at least 400-500 per day in exercise, so net your calories are 1000-1100, so no wonder you're hungry! I tend to lose on 1800 a day if I'm exercising a lot, and I'm less likely to binge. On 1800 with a lot of exercise, I feel a little hungry now and then, but it's a big difference from 1400-1500.

You're also eating very little through the day considering the exercise, so it's no wonder at night when you're tired you give in and listen to your body.

I recommend having a more protein-dense breakfast rather than just coffee, more healthy snacks through the day, and plan a nice sweet treat after dinner in the evenings, like a big bowl of fruit or a healthier ice cream option. I find knowing I can have a serving of ice cream in the evening makes me happier as something to look forward to and makes it feel less like a "diet."

Im not losing weight on 1500-1600. Though.... The days I'm sick of being hungry and go off the "diet" i don't log my calories (too depressing) and am probably undoing all my starvation work. Maybe if i shot for 1800 every day, id be happier and would binge less.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Some thoughts:

OP, you sound pretty frustrated and burnt out on trying to lose, which tends to be counterproductive. I'm wondering if you might benefit from taking a break for a while and trying to find your true maintenance (it should not be 1500-1600 with all the exercise you do) and maybe experimenting with what eating patterns and foods are most satiating for you, as that differs for everyone. But also it's enormously psychological sometimes. When I hit a wall with losing and decided to stop for a while I was feeling hungry eating the exact same way as I'd been perfectly satisfied with for months. It was mental--I wanted not to be worrying about losing. When I took a break I didn't end up eating more, as just that shift made me feel more satisfied.

If not that, something else struck me -- you said you work out twice and eat very little early in the day and that you end up 1500-1600 even after the evening out of control eating. Even if you are eating more than you think, that still suggests to me that you are eating VERY little prior to the evening episodes. This also varies person to person, but I also find that I have too little control if I don't eat enough earlier in the day, especially if I work out then. Try playing around with meal timing and number.

Also, sometimes hunger is just wanting to eat, and nibbling on very low calorie veggies can help in that situation or even berries, which have more calories but not a lot.

Finally, the main times I have difficulties with hunger is when I'm actually tired and haven't been sleeping well. (Working out a huge amout while not sleeping adequately can stress your body too and feed into this.) So how's your sleep?

Edited to fix dumb typo.
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2015
    Options

Im not losing weight on 1500-1600. Though.... The days I'm sick of being hungry and go off the "diet" i don't log my calories (too depressing) and am probably undoing all my starvation work. Maybe if i shot for 1800 every day, id be happier and would binge less.

Oh, I didn't see this before I posted above. This sounds really sensible to me.
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2015
    Options
    How does using measuring cups and eyeballing instantly equal too many calories?

It doesn't. But those for whom it doesn't likely are not posting about not losing weight. As you say, 1500-1600 should be a significant deficit for the OP.

(Personally, I often think the culprit in cases like this is off or unlogged days, which can be way over when someone is cutting too low, but the original poster is the only one who can tell us that. This OP has now suggested that.)

As you indicate, part of why it's important to log correctly (including not undereating, which I did at first before starting to log on MFP) is that undereating can make it really hard to stick consistently to plan over time, so ends up being counterproductive, as well as hard on the body and mind.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options

I think that's it right there. If you're eating a lot on the off days, it'll counteract the too-low days (I know if I have an "off" day where I feel I've already messed up the diet I can go wild and eat like 3,000 calories in a day, which could undo a week of a small deficit right there). Try upping to 1800 or so for a week and see if that helps with the binging, especially eating more in the day.

• ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly hungry. .... I try to lay off the carbs.
    Maybe you need to add more Carbs.
    I know when i tried to restrict my Carbs, i just ended up being hungry and tired.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    OP, I calculated your TDEE as if you were working out twice a day. Your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is 2375 calories per day to maintain your current weight. If you want to lose, you subtract 10, 15 or 20% from that number. 20% subtraction would be 1900 calories per day.

Buy a food scale, weigh everything and eat a little more (lean proteins and healthy fats will help curb hunger). Trust the math and the process, but you have to be accurate on the math. Good luck!
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    katepace1 - I noticed a few people here suggested skipping breakfast. For me, I find the exact opposite is true. I workout in the morning before breakfast. I find that if I get in a good full breakfast after my workout then I am less hungry throughout the day. But, if I have a light breakfast, then I'm hungry all day long.
  • katepace1
    Options
    What is your daily fibre intake? Fibre is very good at filling you up but people struggle with it on low carb diets.

I eat lots of veggies. But fiber might be on the low side because i try to stay away from grains.
  • katepace1
    Options
    OP, I calculated your TDEE as if you were working out twice a day. Your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is 2375 calories per day to maintain your current weight. If you want to lose, you subtract 10, 15 or 20% from that number. 20% subtraction would be 1900 calories per day.

Buy a food scale, weigh everything and eat a little more (lean proteins and healthy fats will help curb hunger). Trust the math and the process, but you have to be accurate on the math. Good luck!

Ooo. 1900!!!! I hope you're right! :smiley:
  • katepace1
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Some thoughts:

OP, you sound pretty frustrated and burnt out on trying to lose, which tends to be counterproductive. I'm wondering if you might benefit from taking a break for a while and trying to find your true maintenance (it should not be 1500-1600 with all the exercise you do) and maybe experimenting with what eating patterns and foods are most satiating for you, as that differs for everyone. But also it's enormously psychological sometimes. When I hit a wall with losing and decided to stop for a while I was feeling hungry eating the exact same way as I'd been perfectly satisfied with for months. It was mental--I wanted not to be worrying about losing. When I took a break I didn't end up eating more, as just that shift made me feel more satisfied.

If not that, something else struck me -- you said you work out twice and eat very little early in the day and that you end up 1500-1600 even after the evening out of control eating. Even if you are eating more than you think, that still suggests to me that you are eating VERY little prior to the evening episodes. This also varies person to person, but I also find that I have too little control if I don't eat enough earlier in the day, especially if I work out then. Try playing around with meal timing and number.

Also, sometimes hunger is just wanting to eat, and nibbling on very low calorie veggies can help in that situation or even berries, which have more calories but not a lot.

Finally, the main times I have difficulties with hunger is when I'm actually tired and haven't been sleeping well. (Working out a huge amout while not sleeping adequately can stress your body too and feed into this.) So how's your sleep?

Edited to fix dumb typo.

I usually sleep pretty well. Though last night i didn't and would up eating cereal :/ but then i breezed through my run.

Anyway, i think you make good points an will take your advice.

Someone else suggested a rest period. I'm starting to believe thats exactly what i need. Along with the scale as others have also suggested.

Thanks to all.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

THIS so much this! I was a starve and binge person too (and at a pretty high calorie level also). Eat 1500-1700 daily then cave and eat thousands in one night. I temporarily went to maintenance just to get past the bingeing and then slowly lowered my calories back down, and have since lost 10 pounds.

Our stats are almost identical- (I'm 5'7" and 145, 31 years old) and it seems you're more active, but I lose eating 2050 average/day (but I weigh and log everything-even the binges).

I would suggest you go to maintenance (or just increase since you probably don't know right now) for a week or two, and see if you can stop the bingeing. Then slowly reduce calories and see how your weight goes. In addition-have you checked your measurements? Perhaps you did an "accidental recomp." If you were 130 when you were depressed and not eating-that may not be a realistic weight not that you're working out and (presumably) have some muscle on you. I know I look best somewhere between 135-140. Just a thought
  • katepace1
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    In addition-have you checked your measurements? Perhaps you did an "accidental recomp." If you were 130 when you were depressed and not eating-that may not be a realistic weight not that you're working out and (presumably) have some muscle on you. I know I look best somewhere between 135-140. Just a thought

I haven't checked my measurements. I just kind of go by the way my clothes fit. I can tell I'm carrying more around my middle (oh, just wait till you turn 35 - I definitely felt different after that b day) and my inner thighs.

But what's an accidental recomp?
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    In addition-have you checked your measurements? Perhaps you did an "accidental recomp." If you were 130 when you were depressed and not eating-that may not be a realistic weight not that you're working out and (presumably) have some muscle on you. I know I look best somewhere between 135-140. Just a thought

I haven't checked my measurements. I just kind of go by the way my clothes fit. I can tell I'm carrying more around my middle (oh, just wait till you turn 35 - I definitely felt different after that b day) and my inner thighs.

But what's an accidental recomp?

Recompisitiom is basically when someone eats right around maintenance (or just under I believe) and also works out/lifts and slowly they lose fat and slowly they gain muscle. It's like doing a bulk and then cut but all at once. I called it an "accidental recomp" because I did it that way. I was starving-and then bingeing- but slowly my body changed and I looked better.

I didn't realize at the time that it was what I was doing. I was actually desperately trying to lose weight. Looking back I can see it-hence the word "accidental"