Sugestions on supplements please!!

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own strong opinions and thoughts about supplements, but I can tell you what I took during my journey. Keep in mind I had a pretty intense workout schedule and definitely controlled my eating as well so I can't say if the supplements actually did anything for me.

BCAA'S (was supposed to help maintain your muscle mass, something like protien)

Acidophilus Two Billion (heard it was good for you)

B 12 ( I heard it increases your metabolism)

Maca (I LOST TONS OF FAT doing my cardio therefore lost some of my booty lol I wanted to achieve that big booty I previously had and heard this worked plus it was said to increase your sexual desire which couldn't hurt either, so I tried. In addition to taking I did major Squats and weight training so I'm not sure which really did the trick or if it assisted)

Biotin (Mainly I took to see if it would help with my skin. Couldn't tell u for sure if it was the biotin that worked or the excessive water I was drinking and sweating to get rid of toxins that improved m

One post recommending the OP pump her body full of unregulated, expensive "supplements of the week" that make false promises: Sure! I'll try that!

I guess some people feel the need to fork over cash for pills to feel like they're accomplishing something?

If I were a lesser person (or just more desperate), I'd get in on this cash cow. If the MFP forums have taught me anything, it's that people will still pay good money for snake oil.

If you ever decide to, please count me in on it. I'm not evil enough to do it on my own but I'll be an excellent minion.

See the poster with the long list of supplements they took - no evidence that any of them had any effect but she is still recommending them! People are crazy for pills, that's all it is.

Im not recommending, just telling her what I used, and what I THOUGHT contributed on my journey, may I add SUCCESSFUL journey. Secondly I am glad to say I am the only one to recieve a thanks from the forum creator while everyone else is just being NEGATIVE, JUDGEMENTAL, OR JUST BORED. :)

NO WONDER I STOPPED USING THE FORUM PPL JUST NEED ATTN...

Says the person who was just negative, being judgmental about other people, and types in caps (which means it draws attention to you).

Well okay then.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'm on several supplements, and all were recommended by my physician. It would be irresponsible of me to list or recommend them in a public forum, IMO.

And none are for weight loss. That's what a calorie deficit is for.

Good luck.
  • Mrj183
    Mrj183 Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Supplements are made to add on top of food and its usually working within a certain plan or goal.. I myself require 400gm of protein a day to hit my steength goals so i have to add on at least 2-3 shakes a day otherwise im eating like 2 chickens, a whole cow and a *kitten* load of fish. Just atick to low gi foods, a good source of protein and that would suffice.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Everyone has their own strong opinions and thoughts about supplements, but I can tell you what I took during my journey. Keep in mind I had a pretty intense workout schedule and definitely controlled my eating as well so I can't say if the supplements actually did anything for me.

The part in bold is revealing.
    Mrj183 wrote: »
    Supplements are made to add on top of food and its usually working within a certain plan or goal.. I myself require 400gm of protein a day to hit my steength goals so i have to add on at least 2-3 shakes a day otherwise im eating like 2 chickens, a whole cow and a *kitten* load of fish. Just atick to low gi foods, a good source of protein and that would suffice.

400 grams based on what science?
  • Mrj183
    Mrj183 Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options

Its the keto phase of my training. my tdee is 4500 cals. Eating at too great a deficit i end up losing a *kitten* load of muscle and strength which is not ideal for my sport. As for the science...i wish i knew how to link things haha
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Its the keto phase of my training. my tdee is 4500 cals. Eating at too great a deficit i end up losing a *kitten* load of muscle and strength which is not ideal for my sport. As for the science...i wish i knew how to link things haha

Cutting and pasting links is difficult.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    my tdee is 4500 cals.

I'm officially jealous.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Maca (I LOST TONS OF FAT doing my cardio therefore lost some of my booty lol I wanted to achieve that big booty I previously had and heard this worked plus it was said to increase your sexual desire which couldn't hurt either, so I tried. In addition to taking I did major Squats and weight training so I'm not sure which really did the trick or if it assisted)

Biotin (Mainly I took to see if it would help with my skin. Couldn't tell u for sure if it was the biotin that worked or the excessive water I was drinking and sweating to get rid of toxins that improved m

One post recommending the OP pump her body full of unregulated, expensive "supplements of the week" that make false promises: Sure! I'll try that!

I guess some people feel the need to fork over cash for pills to feel like they're accomplishing something?

If I were a lesser person (or just more desperate), I'd get in on this cash cow. If the MFP forums have taught me anything, it's that people will still pay good money for snake oil.

If you ever decide to, please count me in on it. I'm not evil enough to do it on my own but I'll be an excellent minion.

See the poster with the long list of supplements they took - no evidence that any of them had any effect but she is still recommending them! People are crazy for pills, that's all it is.

Im not recommending, just telling her what I used, and what I THOUGHT contributed on my journey, may I add SUCCESSFUL journey. Secondly I am glad to say I am the only one to recieve a thanks from the forum creator while everyone else is just being NEGATIVE, JUDGEMENTAL, OR JUST BORED. :)

kb8xgl8s6a98.gif
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

kb8xgl8s6a98.gif

:neutral: blank stare...too through
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    People always looking for quick weight loss diets, pills, etc. I tried all of it and loss weight to only gain it back again, plus more, it doesn't teach you anything about moderation, etc. Now that I have done it the right way, eating at a reasonable deficit and exercised and boom!!! I lost 121 pounds in 2 years and 9 months, yes that's slow, but it was healthy, sustainable weight loss and now been maintaining for 10 months now.
  • MzKym1981
    MzKym1981 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Thanks!
  • MzKym1981
    Options
    Supplements can be effective if you have a deficit of a key nutrient. It is hard to diagnose the deficits. In women athletes iron is the big one. With many of us athletes summer exercise and sweat loss can create magnesium deficiency. It is a learning process. A one size fits all multi vitamin or gummy vitamin is potentially causing more harm than good.

New research is indicating that supplements can inhibit the bodies repair process so don't assume 1000 times the daily allowance of vitamin c and folate aren't hurting you!

Fish oil is highly recommended... This product like all supplements is not regulated for safety so know your Mercury risk.

Thank you!

I was not on here looking for pills to aid in weight loss...I'm doing the work myself (80% nutrition/20%exercise) I was just wondering about supplements like fish oil, iron, vitamin-d, etc.
  • MzKym1981
    Options
    karahm78 wrote: »
    None of them are for weight loss, but I do take a multi vitamin, fish oil, and a calcium supplement daily

Thank you!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    MzKym1981 wrote: »
    Supplements can be effective if you have a deficit of a key nutrient. It is hard to diagnose the deficits. In women athletes iron is the big one. With many of us athletes summer exercise and sweat loss can create magnesium deficiency. It is a learning process. A one size fits all multi vitamin or gummy vitamin is potentially causing more harm than good.

New research is indicating that supplements can inhibit the bodies repair process so don't assume 1000 times the daily allowance of vitamin c and folate aren't hurting you!

Fish oil is highly recommended... This product like all supplements is not regulated for safety so know your Mercury risk.

Thank you!

I was not on here looking for pills to aid in weight loss...I'm doing the work myself (80% nutrition/20%exercise) I was just wondering about supplements like fish oil, iron, vitamin-d, etc.

I take fish oil and a multi vitamin and vitamin D
    This because my doctor advised it ( and they are not for weight loss)

My idea is that you let your doctor run some lab tests and let him suggest what you need. Because nobody here knows what you are missing or have to much.
  • MzKym1981
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    No supplement will help you lose weight. Depending on your diet a quality multivitamin should not cause any harm and will fill in the gaps, especially for minerals, that you may be missing.

I take a separate calcium supplement since my multivitamin only contains 33% of the RDA. I am not a fan of dairy products, especially milk. While leafy greens contain some calcium it's not enough to achieve my RDA on a consistent basis.

Evaluate the nutrients in your diet and if you have any health conditions check with your doctor before taking anything.

Thanks!
  • MzKym1981
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Taking supplements that you do not need can actually be dangerous.

Thanks!
  • MzKym1981
    Options
    MzKym1981 wrote: »

Thank you!

I take fish oil and a multi vitamin and vitamin D
    This because my doctor advised it ( and they are not for weight loss)

My idea is that you let your doctor run some lab tests and let him suggest what you need. Because nobody here knows what you are missing or have to much.

Great idea...and thanks again!