Low Carb Zucchini Ideas?

Options
azulvioleta6
azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
So, I have a garden which is currently producing a lot of zucchini. I have standard zucchini, Latino squash and tatume squash ripe at the moment.

I am trying to use them fresh as I still have zucchini in the freezer from last year. In the past, I have made zucchini bread and zucchini brownies, but I just can't handle the sugar/carbs in those kinds of dishes anymore.

So I have been eating zoodles. A LOT of zoodles. Sauteed zoodles, boiled zoodles, zoodles with pesto sauce, etc. I love zoodles, but one woman can only eat so many.

I've also been making Lebanese zucchini pancakes. I love these, but they have a little bit of flour in them, so I really shouldn't make them a habit.

What else can be done with zucchini that is low-to-moderate in carb content?

Replies

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Soup. Spicy zuccini soup is a staple in our household. Also, cutting them in half lengthwise, hollowing them out, and filling them with vegetable sause (with meat, maybe) is a great way to go through a lot in one sitting. Simply having them raw as a slad base with tomato, and some form of low cal cheese is also nice as a (side) dish. How about a veggie omelette with it?
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Grate them and add them into meatballs (2 large per lb of meat), add into burgers or meatloaf, make zucchini fries with Parmesan crusts, stuff into chicken, add into chili (I add instead of beans).
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,618 Member
    Options
    We have zucs coming out of our ears (garden) too right now. I slice them up with the skin on, and sauté them with chopped tomatoes (also out of our garden), onions and garlic in a medium to hot fry pan in EVOO. I preheat the pan and oil then sauté for about 8 minutes or until brown on the edges. I usually throw the tomatoes in the last 2 minutes so they don't over cook. Then sprinkle parmesan cheese on top. Everyone loves this and we never have leftovers.
  • jcow84
    jcow84 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    We are also experiencing a zucchini glut! Try this link: Gina at Skinnytaste has amazing healthy recipes that always work out!
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/07/35-skinny-zucchini-recipes.html
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Good tips!

No soup for me right now...the weather has been in the 100-degree range where I am and I don't have air conditioning. It's starting to cool down a little bit, but it's not soup weather just yet.

Now I am thinking about a Mexican soup with sour cream and grated zucchini. I could do squash blossoms in something like a tortilla soup too...
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    jcow84 wrote: »
    We are also experiencing a zucchini glut! Try this link: Gina at Skinnytaste has amazing healthy recipes that always work out!
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2014/07/35-skinny-zucchini-recipes.html

Lots of good ideas! Thank you!

I want to try the pizza bites...perhaps on the grill.
  • goaliesmate
    goaliesmate Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just grate and use raw in salads with other grated ingredients.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Just grate and use raw in salads with other grated ingredients.

For some reason, that does not appeal...maybe it's the slightly slimy texture? I don't like raw zucchini I guess.

I should try putting some in a quiche or a frittata.
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    We got three huge ones from a friend. So tonight I cut them lengthwise, seeded them and added sausage mixed with egg and parmesan cheese and baked them and topped them with provolone. It was so good even my picky kiddletts are them!
  • azulvioleta6
    edited July 2015
    Options
    We got three huge ones from a friend. So tonight I cut them lengthwise, seeded them and added sausage mixed with egg and parmesan cheese and baked them and topped them with provolone. It was so good even my picky kiddletts are them!

That sounds nice!

I am going to try the zucchini pizzas tonight. I also found several recipes in an old Community Garden cookbook from Smith and Hawkin.

If any of those turn out well, I will share them.

Plus I now have enough zoodles to feed a small nation. :)
  • Andiknits
    Andiknits Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Zucchini is great in blended sauces to give them a "creamy" texture! It is really amazing! I blended one up with some salsa to make a creamy southwestern dressing - delicious! Make baked fritters by using flax or chia seeds in place of the egg to bind and use garbanzo bean or coconut flour instead of white - more protein and less carbs!
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Garbanzo flour is intriguing. That would go well with my Lebanese dishes.

Do you make it yourself or is it a commercial product?
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I like making Zucchini Boats. Here's the recipe I used as a base. http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/zucchini-boats
    You can change it up as you prefer.
  • Andiknits
    Andiknits Posts: 4 Member
    Options

Its pretty widely available! Bob's Red Mill makes the one I find most frequently. There is usually a place in the flour aisle or where grains are sold that has Bob's packages. Otherwise, look in the Gluten Free section of the store. It is staple in Indian and West Europe cooking cooking (Socca is the French version of Lebanese pancakes and uses garbanzo flour!), so I can find it in store sections that carry ethnic ingredients, or multicultural groceries. It gives a really nice crunch when used to flour something for browning, as well!
  • MegWaymire
    MegWaymire Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you like to grill, a favorite of ours is to slice them thin on a diagonal, brush with a little bit of oil, give a spritz of lemon juice and a dash of salt and pepper and throw them on the grill.

Alternately, maybe put them on skewers with other veggies and meats (if you're into that) for kebabs?

Both go great on top of quinoa.
  • debnat73
    debnat73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There's a recipe for "zucchini tots" that is good! I subbed the egg for egg whites and whole wheat bread crumbs (couldn't find them) for organic bread crumbs. http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/07/zucchini-tots.html?m=1
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Andiknits wrote: »

Its pretty widely available! Bob's Red Mill makes the one I find most frequently. There is usually a place in the flour aisle or where grains are sold that has Bob's packages. Otherwise, look in the Gluten Free section of the store. It is staple in Indian and West Europe cooking cooking (Socca is the French version of Lebanese pancakes and uses garbanzo flour!), so I can find it in store sections that carry ethnic ingredients, or multicultural groceries. It gives a really nice crunch when used to flour something for browning, as well!

Thank you! I figured that Bob's Red Mill might make it. The company is local to me, so their products are widely available.

Socca eh? Off to google...
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    I tried the pizza bites, or in my case, mini-pizzas, since I used a really large zucchini.

Not bad, but I might want to experiment a bit with getting the zucchini dryer/crisper. It did help assuage my pizza craving, in any case.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Sauteed zucchini is yummy by itself. You can also grate zucchini into scrambled eggs for breakfast.
  • ShinyFuture
    ShinyFuture Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of recipes from EatingWell- their Eggs Italiano is a hit with the whole family - http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/eggs_italiano.html

Also, A Veggie Venture is a great site for any kind of vegetable you want to eat.