Losing weight via your tdee

Options
Hi everyone

I did a tdee calculator today on iifym and it said based upon my stats and 4 x exercising a week my tdee is around 2145 calories and to lose weight I need to eat 1795 so if I set my calories on here to 1lb a loss per week it gives me luckily around that figure am I correct in thinking I do not eat back exercise cals as iifym have already incorporated it??

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it might be a conflict, depending on your activity setting in MFP. However, yes, TDEE already includes exercise calories so you wouldn't eat them back.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    What do you mean a conflict ?
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose weight... IMPO - Don't count in exercise to determine how many calories you can eat per day. Calories are calories, exercise is an extra bonus. As you get started believe me there will be many days you don't get to work out, life simply gets in the way. So don't put the cart before the horse, you'll be far more satisfied with your results in the long run.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    When it comes to TDEE don't get too caught up in what the calculators say. They are estimates at best. Just pick a reasonable starting number and adjust based on your actual results. 1800 a day seems fine so just eat that daily and follow your results. If it does not cause weight loss at a rate you deem appropriate, reduce the number down a little bit. TDEE stands for TOTAL daily energy expenditure. It's all the activity you do in the entire day, therefor it includes exercise calories so you do not eat them back.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    megladgrl wrote: »
    If you are trying to lose weight... IMPO - Don't count in exercise to determine how many calories you can eat per day. Calories are calories, exercise is an extra bonus. As you get started believe me there will be many days you don't get to work out, life simply gets in the way. So don't put the cart before the horse, you'll be far more satisfied with your results in the long run.

That entirely depends on what you are doing for exercise and where you are starting with your calorie deficit. If you are starting out at rock bottom calories and exercising, it is a very good idea to include at least some of your exercise.
    I'm doing 1-2 hours of intense exercise per day, sometimes more on. It is vital that I account for exercise.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited July 2015
    Options
    What do you mean a conflict ?
    If IIFYM says 1795 with exercise four times a week and MFP says (about) 1795 without exercise, they can't both be right. You'd need to go with one or the other and see what real-world results you got to know which is right for you.

If you included exercise in MFP by bumping up the activity level, then it wouldn't be a conflict.
    megladgrl wrote: »
    The TDEE approach, by definition, includes exercise.

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ... am I correct in thinking I do not eat back exercise cals as iifym have already incorporated it??

As others have said, you are correct. Don't eat your exercise calories back. Because you're using a TDEE method, I wouldn't bother worrying what MFP suggests at all. Just put in custom goals based on whatever calculator you used, don't log exercise calories, and adjust over time as necessary.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    Thanks everyone my weight loss has stalled this is the third week. I've been eating my exercise calories earned by a HRM for body combat 4 times a week
    you are right I began working out to gain more cals to eat. Something isn't right cus I've stopped losing
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Thanks everyone my weight loss has stalled this is the third week. I've been eating my exercise calories earned by a HRM for body combat 4 times a week
    you are right I began working out to gain more cals to eat. Something isn't right cus I've stopped losing
    Possibly overestimated exercise burns, possibly just one of those things.

• 3dogsrunning
    Options

HRMs are not reliable for that type of exericse. It is possible you are getting an inflated burn.
    You can cut back slightly and see how that goes.
    I'd also recommend having a look at your logging habits and making sure you are being as accurate as you can. Weigh everything you can. Log everything. Sometimes we start to slack a little and don't really notice.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Stalled for how long? Weight loss happens in up and down spurts rather than one continuous downward sloping line. Stalling for a week isn't abnormal, and if your exercise program is something new, you could be retaining water from sore muscles..
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Stalled for how long? Weight loss happens in up and down spurts rather than one continuous downward sloping line. Stalling for a week isn't abnormal, and if your exercise program is something new, you could be retaining water from sore muscles..

I was thinking the same thing but when I re-read it I think OP means she's stalled for 3 weeks.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

I was thinking the same thing but when I re-read it I think OP means she's stalled for 3 weeks.
    Ok, given she's just today done a TDEE calculator, I was under the impression she's been dieting for 3 weeks and is now stalled.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

It's annoyingly easy to both: overestimate exercise burn and eat more than we log. Depending on one's goals even minor errors in these areas can seem to cause weight loss stalls. The best thing we can do is weigh and measure our food as accurately as we can, and adjust goals over time.

• leahcollett1
    Options

Ok, given she's just today done a TDEE calculator, I was under the impression she's been dieting for 3 weeks and is now stalled.

Sorry hun no this is my third week of stalled weight loss the first few weeks I lost great then had a few half pounds here and there then I introduced body combat and boom gained half. Thought yep fine I'm sore. But then been staying the same since
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    I've actually been trying to lose weight since Jan 14 :'(
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

Sorry hun no this is my third week of stalled weight loss the first few weeks I lost great then had a few half pounds here and there then I introduced body combat and boom gained half. Thought yep fine I'm sore. But then been staying the same since

When did you introduce body combat?

The weight gain may be related to increase in exercise, as senecarr mentioned.
  • leahcollett1
    Options
    3 weeks ago lol I thought the water retention would have gone by now though I do drink loads and try to up my protein
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    3 weeks ago lol I thought the water retention would have gone by now though I do drink loads and try to up my protein

This kind of water retention isn't affected by drinking water. It is due to glycogen storage in your muscles. Personally, it took a month for the scale to start moving when I upped exercise before.
    You can give it another week or so, or make a slight adjustment downwards. I wouldn't do a huge cut.
    I'd also recommend having a good look at your logging habits.
  • leahcollett1
    Options

This kind of water retention isn't affected by drinking water. It is due to glycogen storage in your muscles. Personally, it took a month for the scale to start moving when I upped exercise before.
    You can give it another week or so, or make a slight adjustment downwards. I wouldn't do a huge cut.
    I'd also recommend having a good look at your logging habits.

Dam really? A month? Wow that's mad. I don't know what to do now do I change to working to a tdee deficit or do I keep doing what I'm doing and plug it out until my glycogen stores are better? Up until today I ate 1450 which is 1.5lbs weight loss plus half exercise cals. The trouble I'm finding is that on days I don't exercise I struggle