124»

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I don't understand the problem here. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to stuff yourself with everything in sight.

Practically everyone who's ever needed to lose weight understands the problem of overindulgence.

one would think, but apparently not. Because those who need to lose weight do continue to overindulge.

*shrugs* we don't need to eat tiny plates or portions of food to keep our weight down. That's your way. Some prefer larges plates, quantities or calories of food. Depending on your calorie allowance and how often you do it, it can be done. Make your own choice. Live with it. Others may not make similar choices but can still be successful
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the problem here. Just because it's there doesn't mean you have to stuff yourself with everything in sight.

Practically everyone who's ever needed to lose weight understands the problem of overindulgence.

one would think, but apparently not. Because those who need to lose weight do continue to overindulge.

*shrugs* we don't need to eat tiny plates or portions of food to keep our weight down. That's your way. Some prefer larges plates, quantities or calories of food. Depending on your calorie allowance and how often you do it, it can be done. Make your own choice. Live with it. Others may not make similar choices but can still be successful

Honestly, it's not a matter of 'preferring' large calories of food. If that were the case, everyone would be eating mass quantities. The reality is most people need to learn to set a calorie goal and stick to it or they have to be overweight. That's how this whole thing works. The majority of the people on this very site are here because they started out overweight, and here learn to follow a calorie deficit. Eating in moderation (smaller portions of the same foods they've always liked to eat) helps them stay successful in the long run.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    The only way I can semi get around it is to have itty bitty pirtions of everything

i read somewhere that having lots of little things makes it harder to feel full (vs having more of 1-2 things)

Maybe that explains why I have to be literally wheeled out of any place that sells tapas or sushi...
  • Jennak87
    Jennak87 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Is it the same kind of food every day/ week? If it is, you could just tell yourself that by not eating it today, it's not like you're missing out. You can have a couple of the things you really want today and a couple of different things the next day/ week. You don't have to have them all at once to enjoy them all.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Honestly, it's not a matter of 'preferring' large calories of food. If that were the case, everyone would be eating mass quantities. The reality is most people need to learn to set a calorie goal and stick to it or they have to be overweight. That's how this whole thing works. The majority of the people on this very site are here because they started out overweight, and here learn to follow a calorie deficit. Eating in moderation (smaller portions of the same foods they've always liked to eat) helps them stay successful in the long run.

Again, just your reality. There literally is a weekly calorie tool in the MFP apps that can be used to monitor a weekly deficit rather than a daily one. So long as you eat less calories over the long term than you burn, you will lose weight. All these rules that overly constrain people and do not align with their lifestyles are what many of us have rejected in favor of counting calories. I just hate to see that crap sneaking back in. It's a great suggestion, just not the end all be all and not any kind of requirement for weight loss
  • zhongjen000
    zhongjen000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the wonderful tips you guys! Hopefully trying to implement some of them will help me get past my plateau at 115 lbs!!! Having such a supportive community rocks. Only 5 more pounds until I reach my goals!!! :)
  • wrighty11146
    wrighty11146 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had some tips to avoid binge eating when given unlimited amounts of food. At my workplace, we are provided lunch for free and I have a hard time controlling my portions because it's... free. Same with house parties... It seems like I just can't stop when there are free sandwiches, chips, desserts everywhere... I just want to try them all. Any tips or advice that has helped you guys stay on track?

Same with me, I usually just try to have a hand size worth of plain chicken and maybe some ham slices with the fat cut off. then anything green!