Singing at the gym

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,901 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    On the other hand, there is one gentleman who works out in the pool before our water aerobics class starts and he sings. He is a classically trained opera singer and has a wonderful voice, even at his age which is close to 80. I can live with that.

Now that I wouldn't mind ... a few bars of a classical piece sung well would be inspiring. :)

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    levitateme wrote: »
    This is like the dudes who sit on the subway rapping to themselves with their dumb giant headphones on full blast and crooked. It's unbelievably annoying.

Or beatboxing. Uggggg.

You know who sounds good beatboxing? NOBODY.

This is true.

Thanks for your suggestion to try podcasts and radio programmes, I appreciate it :) Might be harder to count beats, but worth a try :)

Biz Markie, Doug E. Fresh, and Matisyahu would disagree.

PS. I would probably enjoy it if someone beat-boxed at the gym.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    raregem99 wrote: »
    skeo wrote: »
    This thread is really surprising to me, I did not realize that people took such offense to people singing to themselves or picking up a phone call. Whether they are leisurely working out or going hard, we all pay the same membership fees. If the person is on the phone off to the side and not holding up a machine, what bother is it? The gym is already noisy, it's not a library setting; noise, conversation, and music will be heard. And to tune it out, majority of folks have earbuds or headphones on, and are in their own little worlds. I would hope that no one is singing loud as hell, but to casually utter a few lines of lyrics here and there to yourself, I don't see the issue with it.

Yeah, same here. It was also mentioned that singing is equivalent to "entitled behavior" and ranks with not wiping down machines. Really. Not taking care to wipe ones bacteria/virii from equipment ranks equally with SINGING to one's self?

Wow...

Seems to me the people that don't won't other people to do things because it distracts or bothers them are the ones who think they are entitled!! Everyone needs to cater to them!!

Me, I'm wiping down before and after, I'm usually in the gym as soon as they open up, and I wipe down before I start. No ones ever got a Staph Infection from someones singing!!

I'm not entitled. She asked if it would annoy me and I answered honestly. I didn't even tell her not to do it. I wouldn't even say or do anything about it but it would annoy me.

And for the record, I would consider singing more annoying that someone not wiping down the equipment. I can easily resolve that myself by wiping it down myself. There is nothing I can do about someone singing.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    This thread is really surprising to me, I did not realize that people took such offense to people singing to themselves or picking up a phone call. Whether they are leisurely working out or going hard, we all pay the same membership fees. If the person is on the phone off to the side and not holding up a machine, what bother is it? The gym is already noisy, it's not a library setting; noise, conversation, and music will be heard. And to tune it out, majority of folks have earbuds or headphones on, and are in their own little worlds. I would hope that no one is singing loud as hell, but to casually utter a few lines of lyrics here and there to yourself, I don't see the issue with it.

Yeah, same here. It was also mentioned that singing is equivalent to "entitled behavior" and ranks with not wiping down machines. Really. Not taking care to wipe ones bacteria/virii from equipment ranks equally with SINGING to one's self?

Wow...

Seems to me the people that don't won't other people to do things because it distracts or bothers them are the ones who think they are entitled!! Everyone needs to cater to them!!

Me, I'm wiping down before and after, I'm usually in the gym as soon as they open up, and I wipe down before I start. No ones ever got a Staph Infection from someones singing!!

I'm not entitled. She asked if it would annoy me and I answered honestly. I didn't even tell her not to do it. I wouldn't even say or do anything about it but it would annoy me.

And for the record, I would consider singing more annoying that someone not wiping down the equipment. I can easily resolve that myself by wiping it down myself. There is nothing I can do about someone singing.

There is. You would probably get in big trouble for it though. >:)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,901 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Wow...

+1

Not entitled ... just ... silent. :)

• Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Lip sync. it's what i do

worries me that you get so bored...can´t you add weight to those squads or resistance or something? I doubt you¿ll get good results with a workout that lets you sing full throttle
    I can't really talk well after my squats xD
  • ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Wow...

Yes there is, put on a set of earbuds or earplugs. Unless someone is really loud, I don't hear a thing.

What do you guys do when there is a spin or zumba, or any other class where they play music loud?

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Wow...

Yes there is, put on a set of earbuds or earplugs. Unless someone is really loud, I don't hear a thing.

What do you guys do when there is a spin or zumba, or any other class where they play music loud?

I don't usually listen to music. I find it hard to carry when I'm lifting weights. I dislike arm bands but when I do listen with earphones I never have the volume up loud enough that it blocks everything out.
    I find singing totally different that music being played in the background. My old gym you couldn't hear the music in the room they used anyway.
    Plus it is the gym playing it and a number of people are using the music, not just one. It has a function.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Wow...

I don't go to spin or zumba but if I did, I would expect there to be music and singing from the song that we were working out to. I would not expect, however, the class song to be on plus people around the room to be singing whatever songs tickled their fancy at the same time.

When I go to the gym where there is usually music playing through the sound system, I don't also expect there to be a Pavarotti in the corner singing Sole Mio and Sporty Spice singing Wannabe in the squat rack while mid-90s Blink 182 plays overhead. Normal conversations, fine, but the droning of somebody listening to their headphones is just annoying, especially when it's different droning from multiple sources. Add to that the fact that the person listening to the headphones isn't even listening to him/herself because of the headphones. Instead, they are subjecting everybody else to their singing while they listen to clean audio.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Please don't.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Wow...

What if you don't like to listen to music while working out? Ear buds with no sound will not block out singing.
  • raregem99
    raregem99 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    sk1982 wrote: »
    Dex37 wrote: »
    I don't like to see/hear people singing, talking or even be on their phone. If you are doing that, you are not serious and need to get out of the way.

for me though - my rule is if i'm still singing along (even if its in my head) I CAN keep going and i cant quit.,...so maybe the people singing are serious and focussed.

But i agree about not distracting others...my gym is big loud and noisy though so even if i was singing aloud i dont think people would hear...
    they can.

I promise you. they can.

Even in a gym where it's hard to talk- for some reason that sing- songey half singing thing people do- it travels.

No ones ever got a Staph Infection from someones singing!!
    probably not- but getting punched in the throat might happen... just saying.

So, you'd be so annoyed that you'd want to punch someone in the throat? Dang lol!
  • raregem99
    raregem99 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

Wow...

pretty much! :smile:
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have had a guy at the gym not only talk on the phone, but have it on speaker so everyone could hear the other person. He also slammed the weights so loud I startled and yelped a little. That was annoying. Singing not.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    aylajane wrote: »
    I was on my favorite treadmill at the Y yesterday and even though I was watching television and had earphones plugged in, I started hearing this grunting sound as I was almost finished. I tried to ignore it, but couldn't help but wonder who was grunting and why. It was driving me nuts. Finally I finished my hour, and it was someone on a stationary bike! He wasn't doing anything different than anyone else would do, but he was grunting very loudly (now that the earphones were off). I stared at him briefly, and he stared back at me, grunting louder than before. I guess some people just like calling attention to themselves.

Calling attention to themselves? Well I don't know what that guy's deal was. Maybe he was in pain. I can't say, and neither can you.

As far as singing for attention, I don't want or need that kind of attention at the gym, that's got nothing to do with it.

Some people want and need to feel joy, now and then.

I am a grunter - I didnt start out that way but as the weights got heavier (and I got older), it just started happening. I tried in embarassment to hold it in, but I cant lift anything if I do that! Maybe something physical with breathing or something, but I have no apparent control over grunting. If I dont grunt, I am not actually lifting anything challenging. Since that is the point of being there, I am going to grunt.

Also, I injured my shoulder crashing a motorcycle... Took a month of rehabbing it, and I grunted and groaned and cried through every "simple" range of motion exercise, every morning. But my shoulder healed perfectly because I was consistent. So... oh well.

Sorry for everyone offended.

Not offended! Glad your shoulder made it through!!!
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    besaro wrote: »
    or whistling. no!

+1

Whistling is worse than singing! It's like someone trying to drive an ice pick into your head.
    Bottom line it's a distraction, nobody wants to waste their time or be distracted.

Yes this has become very clear, thank you

I guess I'm the combo breaker here. There's no way someone SINGING at the gym could even annoy me mildly. If someone is singing through their OWN workout then I have to assume they are a happy person enjoying themselves and I tend to enjoy seeing happy people express themselves publicly in non-vulgar ways.

OP, I say keep singing to yourself. As long as it's not over the music, who the hell cares. People tend to have inconsistencies about what offends them and it changes from day to day depending on their mood. If they are that offended and easily distracted then they can confront you about it.

This is really very sweet :) Thank you for writing :)

And I'm sorry to not have replied to other people who sing in the gym, and people tolerant of or indifferent to it (thank you, @ScubaSteve1962!), guess I was focused on hearing what people disliking it had to say. We should have our own gym :)
  • tomatoey
    Options

Wow...

I don't usually listen to music. I find it hard to carry when I'm lifting weights. I dislike arm bands but when I do listen with earphones I never have the volume up loud enough that it blocks everything out.
    I find singing totally different that music being played in the background. My old gym you couldn't hear the music in the room they used anyway.
    Plus it is the gym playing it and a number of people are using the music, not just one. It has a function.

It's understandable, no problem at all - I asked because I wanted to know!
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

What if you don't like to listen to music while working out? Ear buds with no sound will not block out singing. [/quote]

What if where you work out plays loud mainstream music over the loud speakers?
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm pretty happy I don't go to the gym and I use the treadmill at home. I suddenly blurt out words to songs, clap and do weird hand movements to practice my "air drumming" haha
This discussion has been closed.