Singing at the gym

Options

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It's really annoying.

I'll put it this way. I have an 8 year old daughter. My own flesh and blood. I think she is wonderful and magnificent and the best kid ever. But when she puts on headphones and starts singing along to whatever song she's listening to? I'm tempted to tell her that Santa is not real, because the sound of a child sobbing is preferable to that mumbly singing-along-to-unhearable-music-while-wearing-headphones sound.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    I have this problem in the office as well. Cannot hear at the gym with headphones on so im good. Besides singing....what about whistling? I hear it and automatically think Bluto in Animal House destroying the guitar on the stairs. I heard the Russians did some research on using music that you dont like for your workout. You hate the music so much that you actually are so pissed you have better workouts. It has been proven..I think.

Ha! I'm not a whistler, unfortunately. This Russian idea, I have to say, sounds pretty terrible on the face of it, given that I am already peeved at the whole situation, but maybe it's worth a try! Thanks :)
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I work out in a very loud gym. There's always music playing on the speakers, a bunch of different conversations going on, laughing, guys kidding around. Adding singing on top of that wouldn't dent the noise level.

I tend to wear headphones to block out some of the noise. When I forget my ipod/headphones, it's always interesting to have to listen to the men giving dating advice to some of the other guys. After that, singing wouldn't bother me at all.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    So the consensus seems to be that it may be ok at a low volume only under certain conditions - i.e. everyone else is wearing earphones or I am alone or I am amongst other very noisy people and noise. And observe others even if wearing headphones to see if they're annoyed. Otherwise shut up. Got it.
    jemhh wrote: »
    It's really annoying.

I'll put it this way. I have an 8 year old daughter. My own flesh and blood. I think she is wonderful and magnificent and the best kid ever. But when she puts on headphones and starts singing along to whatever song she's listening to? I'm tempted to tell her that Santa is not real, because the sound of a child sobbing is preferable to that mumbly singing-along-to-unhearable-music-while-wearing-headphones sound.

Ha! Aw :(
  • tomatoey
    Options
    sk1982 wrote: »
    i dont sing out loud but i sing in my head and sometimes mouth the words....its all about the intention and not the actual doing i find that helps....i also make funny movements with my hands along with the beat....

Yeah, I do that too, and kind of "dance", on the elliptical, sometimes.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that it would amuse me, not annoy me. I've been around someone half-singing on a treadmill before and I thought it was funny and it kind of lifted my spirits to know they were in a good enough mood to sing aloud at the gym, haha.

However, clearly, the consensus is that it's annoying. :|
  • tomatoey
    Options
    Thea519 wrote: »
    I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that it would amuse me, not annoy me. I've been around someone half-singing on a treadmill before and I thought it was funny and it kind of lifted my spirits to know they were in a good enough mood to sing aloud at the gym, haha.

However, clearly, the consensus is that it's annoying. :|

<3
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    sk1982 wrote: »
    i dont sing out loud but i sing in my head and sometimes mouth the words....its all about the intention and not the actual doing i find that helps....i also make funny movements with my hands along with the beat....

Yeah, I do that too, and kind of "dance", on the elliptical, sometimes.

dance all you like- no shame in that game. people may laugh/look at you funny- but I'm all about dancing between sets.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I could completely ignore dancing, assuming the dancer wasn't getting in my face. Sounds are harder to ignore, for me, and I get aurally overwhelmed when there are too many at the same time.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    I work out in a very loud gym. There's always music playing on the speakers, a bunch of different conversations going on, laughing, guys kidding around. Adding singing on top of that wouldn't dent the noise level.

I tend to wear headphones to block out some of the noise. When I forget my ipod/headphones, it's always interesting to have to listen to the men giving dating advice to some of the other guys. After that, singing wouldn't bother me at all.

This gave me an idea you could use.

Turn the volume of the TV really loud... now you can sing!... lol

Seriously though, I like to sing to myself when I'm working out, but I don't sing the whole song. I just mouth most of it and sometimes a few words or humming is heard, but I try to keep it very low. I think you can try it and if you are getting Nasty stares, shut it up.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Normally I would say it is a definite NO. It is bad enough when people have the volume on their MP3 players loud enough that you can hear a little of it, but to sing out loud is definitely in the douche category.

On the other hand, there is one gentleman who works out in the pool before our water aerobics class starts and he sings. He is a classically trained opera singer and has a wonderful voice, even at his age which is close to 80. I can live with that.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know if someone was singing, but I have my earbuds in and pretty loud. I mouth the words to songs and yes dance along in between my sets. When people give me weird looks, I just smile and wave.
  • sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    It's why i work out outdoors, so I can sometimes sing aloud :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    it would make me leave the gym and go and complain to management.

• 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I work out at 5:00 am and have heard it all....singing, talking on the phone, people having loud conversations, etc. and they are all very distracting. Since I usually bring my own distractions like headphones, kindle, etc., trying to filter out additional noise is troublesome for me. So I say NO to singing even if it's very softly or from someone with a super great voice because there are times when I want to sing along to a really good song but end up lip syncing the words because I don't want to disturb anyone around me.
  • Dex37
    Dex37 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't like to see/hear people singing, talking or even be on their phone. If you are doing that, you are not serious and need to get out of the way.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Dex37 wrote: »
    I don't like to see/hear people singing, talking or even be on their phone. If you are doing that, you are not serious and need to get out of the way.

Hi, I hear you about your annoyance levels re noise but take exception to the bolded. I'm deadly serious about my rehab, thanks. It just isn't intrinsically motivating, so I'm doing what I can to get through it. And I pay the same fees everyone else does. I'm taking my damn place at the gym I help stay in business. Thanks. If you're at my gym, you can get out of my way.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Doesn't' bother me, I usually have headphones on and cannot hear anything.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    10. Even if I have headphones I can still hear what's going on around.

Eta - I'm not usually bothered by a whole lot at the gym. Take all the selfies you want, text your heart out, hog the bench (I will ask to work in), don't wipe down your equipment or put your weights away, not going to bother me.
    Singing or making me listen to your music (as in playing it out loud not with earphones) I'm going to be annoyed.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Dex37 wrote: »

Hi, I hear you about your annoyance levels re noise but take exception to the bolded. I'm deadly serious about my rehab, thanks. It just isn't intrinsically motivating, so I'm doing what I can to get through it. And I pay the same fees everyone else does. I'm taking my damn place at the gym I help stay in business. Thanks. If you're at my gym, you can get out of my way.

PeBdws6.gif

But seriously, I wouldn't hear it because mine are turned up too loud. I wouldn't sing out loud though because nobody wants to hear it. I sing well, but I only sing when I want attention.
This discussion has been closed.