Singing at the gym

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,901 Member
    Options
    sadiebrawl wrote: »
    It's why i work out outdoors, so I can sometimes sing aloud :)

I do sing sometimes when I'm cycling outside in the middle of nowhere. :smiley:

• Machka9
    Options
    besaro wrote: »
    or whistling. no!

+1

Whistling is worse than singing! It's like someone trying to drive an ice pick into your head.

• Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    It depends. Are you hot? Some time ago there were a couple of attractive ladies at the gym who would sing around me when I was in the weight room with them. If someone else entered the room they would stop but would pick back up again when it was just us. I did not find it to be annoying because I thought they were pretty ladies and I was kind of flattered they they felt comfortable singing around me even though they weren't comfortable around others. I still see them around on occasion and we say hi to each other usually, they are kind of like friends to me now.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It depends. Are you hot? Some time ago there were a couple of attractive ladies at the gym who would sing around me when I was in the weight room with them. If someone else entered the room they would stop but would pick back up again when it was just us. I did not find it to be annoying because I thought they were pretty ladies and I was kind of flattered they they felt comfortable singing around me even though they weren't comfortable around others. I still see them around on occasion and we say hi to each other usually, they are kind of like friends to me now.

This is not a response I would have expected, lol. I guess it all worked out, then? You're saying if they weren't hot, maybe it wouldn't have been so acceptable? Interesting.

(Am I hot? I don't know? I'm 39. I have my moments. They are probably not happening at the gym.)
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options

Machka9 wrote: »
    or whistling. no!

+1

Whistling is worse than singing! It's like someone trying to drive an ice pick into your head.
    Bottom line it's a distraction, nobody wants to waste their time or be distracted.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    or whistling. no!

+1

Bottom line it's a distraction, nobody wants to waste their time or be distracted.

Yes this has become very clear, thank you
  • Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

This is not a response I would have expected, lol. I guess it all worked out, then? You're saying if they weren't hot, maybe it wouldn't have been so acceptable? Interesting.

(Am I hot? I don't know? I'm 39. I have my moments. They are probably not happening at the gym.)

39? No problem there. One of my favorite people at the gym is 39 and she is super cute.

• LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    quote="tomatoey;33269297"]
    or whistling. no!

+1

Yes this has become very clear, thank you [/quote]

Hahaha.whatever
  • raregem99
    raregem99 Posts: 88 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    or whistling. no!

+1

Yes this has become very clear, thank you

I guess I'm the combo breaker here. There's no way someone SINGING at the gym could even annoy me mildly. If someone is singing through their OWN workout then I have to assume they are a happy person enjoying themselves and I tend to enjoy seeing happy people express themselves publicly in non-vulgar ways.

OP, I say keep singing to yourself. As long as it's not over the music, who the hell cares. People tend to have inconsistencies about what offends them and it changes from day to day depending on their mood. If they are that offended and easily distracted then they can confront you about it.
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm usually by myself in the gym, so I have the radio on loud and sing along to the songs. But if I was in swanky gym in the city or a bigger gym, then I wouldn't be singing along to heavy metal songs on the radio...
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    raregem99 wrote: »
    I guess I'm the combo breaker here.

this comment made my morning.
  • raregem99
    raregem99 Posts: 88 Member
    Options

skeo wrote: »
    This thread is really surprising to me, I did not realize that people took such offense to people singing to themselves or picking up a phone call. Whether they are leisurely working out or going hard, we all pay the same membership fees. If the person is on the phone off to the side and not holding up a machine, what bother is it? The gym is already noisy, it's not a library setting; noise, conversation, and music will be heard. And to tune it out, majority of folks have earbuds or headphones on, and are in their own little worlds. I would hope that no one is singing loud as hell, but to casually utter a few lines of lyrics here and there to yourself, I don't see the issue with it.

Yeah, same here. It was also mentioned that singing is equivalent to "entitled behavior" and ranks with not wiping down machines. Really. Not taking care to wipe ones bacteria/virii from equipment ranks equally with SINGING to one's self?

Wow...
  • sk1982
    sk1982 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Dex37 wrote: »
    I don't like to see/hear people singing, talking or even be on their phone. If you are doing that, you are not serious and need to get out of the way.

for me though - my rule is if i'm still singing along (even if its in my head) I CAN keep going and i cant quit.,...so maybe the people singing are serious and focussed.

But i agree about not distracting others...my gym is big loud and noisy though so even if i was singing aloud i dont think people would hear...

• Machka9
    Options
    This thread is really surprising to me, I did not realize that people took such offense to people singing to themselves or picking up a phone call. Whether they are leisurely working out or going hard, we all pay the same membership fees. If the person is on the phone off to the side and not holding up a machine, what bother is it? The gym is already noisy, it's not a library setting; noise, conversation, and music will be heard. And to tune it out, majority of folks have earbuds or headphones on, and are in their own little worlds. I would hope that no one is singing loud as hell, but to casually utter a few lines of lyrics here and there to yourself, I don't see the issue with it.

Yeah, same here. It was also mentioned that singing is equivalent to "entitled behavior" and ranks with not wiping down machines. Really. Not taking care to wipe ones bacteria/virii from equipment ranks equally with SINGING to one's self?

Wow...

So ... now you know how people view it. :)

• ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Permissible: Bleeding, grunting
    Not: Singing, moaning, whistling

Wouldn't want to be at your gym.
    or whistling. no!

+1

Grunting, dropping weights, talking loud, these aren't distractions, but someone singing is?

This morning this guy beside me on the elliptical was sing, then started clapping. I must be special, no distraction at all. The only reason I noticed it was because of this thread (LOL)

• ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Wow...

Seems to me the people that don't won't other people to do things because it distracts or bothers them are the ones who think they are entitled!! Everyone needs to cater to them!!

Me, I'm wiping down before and after, I'm usually in the gym as soon as they open up, and I wipe down before I start. No ones ever got a Staph Infection from someones singing!!

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    sk1982 wrote: »
    Dex37 wrote: »
    I don't like to see/hear people singing, talking or even be on their phone. If you are doing that, you are not serious and need to get out of the way.

for me though - my rule is if i'm still singing along (even if its in my head) I CAN keep going and i cant quit.,...so maybe the people singing are serious and focussed.

But i agree about not distracting others...my gym is big loud and noisy though so even if i was singing aloud i dont think people would hear...
    they can.

I promise you. they can.

Even in a gym where it's hard to talk- for some reason that sing- songey half singing thing people do- it travels.

No ones ever got a Staph Infection from someones singing!!
    probably not- but getting punched in the throat might happen... just saying.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you have the energy to sing while working out, you are probably doing it wrong/not putting in max effort.

I can barely hear the music in my headphones when I lift ….
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was on my favorite treadmill at the Y yesterday and even though I was watching television and had earphones plugged in, I started hearing this grunting sound as I was almost finished. I tried to ignore it, but couldn't help but wonder who was grunting and why. It was driving me nuts. Finally I finished my hour, and it was someone on a stationary bike! He wasn't doing anything different than anyone else would do, but he was grunting very loudly (now that the earphones were off). I stared at him briefly, and he stared back at me, grunting louder than before. I guess some people just like calling attention to themselves.

Calling attention to themselves? Well I don't know what that guy's deal was. Maybe he was in pain. I can't say, and neither can you.

As far as singing for attention, I don't want or need that kind of attention at the gym, that's got nothing to do with it.

Some people want and need to feel joy, now and then.

I am a grunter - I didnt start out that way but as the weights got heavier (and I got older), it just started happening. I tried in embarassment to hold it in, but I cant lift anything if I do that! Maybe something physical with breathing or something, but I have no apparent control over grunting. If I dont grunt, I am not actually lifting anything challenging. Since that is the point of being there, I am going to grunt.

Also, I injured my shoulder crashing a motorcycle... Took a month of rehabbing it, and I grunted and groaned and cried through every "simple" range of motion exercise, every morning. But my shoulder healed perfectly because I was consistent. So... oh well.

Sorry for everyone offended.
This discussion has been closed.