Singing at the gym

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Dex37 wrote: »
    I don't like to see/hear people singing, talking or even be on their phone. If you are doing that, you are not serious and need to get out of the way.

Hi, I hear you about your annoyance levels re noise but take exception to the bolded. I'm deadly serious about my rehab, thanks. It just isn't intrinsically motivating, so I'm doing what I can to get through it. And I pay the same fees everyone else does. I'm taking my damn place at the gym I help stay in business. Thanks. If you're at my gym, you can get out of my way.

PeBdws6.gif

But seriously, I wouldn't hear it because mine are turned up too loud. I wouldn't sing out loud though because nobody wants to hear it. I sing well, but I only sing when I want attention.

Lol.

I sometimes sing because it just comes out - with this, I almost can't help responding, because I need the music to be really good to not want to shoot myself from boredom. But I get the message, definitely, glad I asked.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm doing extremely boring PT exercises there. I listen to music to get me through it - also to help pace myself / time movements, because I'd rush through them otherwise. But I am still so damn bored I often want to sing along. And I can, because I am not at all exerted by quad sets and bike on no resistance.

How annoying is hearing someone sing or hum at the gym on a scale of 1-10? Not super loud. (I have a decent voice, used to sing here and there, could be worse that way, but I don't think that matters if any singing or humming is intrusive.) I am mostly doing this in a room off to the side where there's just one or two other people, five at a time max.

On one hand I kind of care because it might bother some people. On the other hand, some of them throw their own music onto the public audio system, really loud, when they hit the sandbags, leave their water bottles on equipment and mats, and generally act snotty. So it's not as bad as it could be?

Also again I am so ****ing bored.

I cannot speak for others, but this is solely dependent upon your singing ability. If you're good, rock on! If you suck I'm going to let you know and throw something at you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I have headphones in, so I can't hear you anyway...

• DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    I just lip sync. Mostly it's when I listen to musicals or the disney playlist that I have on my iPod. Though I do sometimes will for songs like Faith too. But I wouldn't sing out loud even after taking part in choirs for years, I'd be too uncomfortable having others hear me.
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    This thread is really surprising to me, I did not realize that people took such offense to people singing to themselves or picking up a phone call. Whether they are leisurely working out or going hard, we all pay the same membership fees. If the person is on the phone off to the side and not holding up a machine, what bother is it? The gym is already noisy, it's not a library setting; noise, conversation, and music will be heard. And to tune it out, majority of folks have earbuds or headphones on, and are in their own little worlds. I would hope that no one is singing loud as hell, but to casually utter a few lines of lyrics here and there to yourself, I don't see the issue with it.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    If you are gonna bring candy, you're gonna have to share it with others--Sooo--everybody sings or nobody sings.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    skeo wrote: »
    This thread is really surprising to me, I did not realize that people took such offense to people singing to themselves or picking up a phone call. Whether they are leisurely working out or going hard, we all pay the same membership fees. If the person is on the phone off to the side and not holding up a machine, what bother is it? The gym is already noisy, it's not a library setting; noise, conversation, and music will be heard. And to tune it out, majority of folks have earbuds or headphones on, and are in their own little worlds. I would hope that no one is singing loud as hell, but to casually utter a few lines of lyrics here and there to yourself, I don't see the issue with it.

It's like second-hand smoke. People who don't want to be around it shouldn't be subject to it.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I love my YMCA! No loud music, no obnoxious grunters, nobody singing out loud, nobody talking on the phone while working out. It's not noisy at all. If people all around me were singing and talking on phones and/or loudly to each other, I would discontinue my membership.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I'm not trying to make myself deaf- I don't blast my music so loud I can't hear other things- and 9/10 people on the phone taking a phone call are yelling- which is just- SUPER annoying.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    This is like the dudes who sit on the subway rapping to themselves with their dumb giant headphones on full blast and crooked. It's unbelievably annoying.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

I don't care about phones as long as people talk normally. For whatever reason, it seems like people act like they have to shout into their cell phones like 50 cent dollar store megaphones.

As for singing, if you're doing it loud enough and often enough to ask if it's annoying, it's not casually uttering a few lines every now and then.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My feeling is, "thank you *so much* for sharing your personal soundtrack with me". <eye roll>
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I was at the gym the other night and the lady next to me was saying in a medium low volume. I could still hear her over the equipment and my music. It's really distracting and kept taking me out of my zone.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    sk1982 wrote: »
    i dont sing out loud but i sing in my head and sometimes mouth the words....its all about the intention and not the actual doing i find that helps....i also make funny movements with my hands along with the beat....

Yeah, I do that too, and kind of "dance", on the elliptical, sometimes.

I do that too. Gets me in the zone.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    could you maybe find a workout that isn't so boring? I go to the gym because I love it. I cant imagine going and hating it.
  • moondrake
    moondrake Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Singing would bother me if I could hear it, but I work out with earbuds as I need the beat.l I often mouth along with the music, but never sing aloud at the gym. Whistling makes me crazy in any context, it's like nails on chalkboard to me. Also it would be more penetrating than singing, so probably more annoying to everyone.
  • tomatoey
    edited July 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

I don't care about phones as long as people talk normally. For whatever reason, it seems like people act like they have to shout into their cell phones like 50 cent dollar store megaphones.

As for singing, if you're doing it loud enough and often enough to ask if it's annoying, it's not casually uttering a few lines every now and then.

Actually, I don't know what you're imagining, but that's exactly what it is.

If I didn't care about the effect of my behavior on other patrons, I wouldn't have started this thread at all

I am not normally in a position to sing when I work out, even if I want to, because I'm busy sweating. So it hasn't come up (again, the reason I'm asking)

Inductive reasoning fail
  • tomatoey
    Options
    could you maybe find a workout that isn't so boring? I go to the gym because I love it. I cant imagine going and hating it.

No, wish I could, it's rehab
  • theredhead77
    theredhead77 Posts: 35 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Singing (intentionally) and talking on the phone at the gym rank up there with not wiping down your machines as rude and entitled behavior.

If you need to socialize on the phone go outside. If you need to discuss something for work go outside.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Honestly, if I could hear it, I might find it obtrusive. But I'm usually watching Netflix on my phone while working out and can't hear what's going on around during me.
This discussion has been closed.