Does anyone ever meet their Calorie Intake goals???

Options
124»

Replies

• tazlikeme
    tazlikeme Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I wouldn't hav added this app if my goal objective was to lie or brag by being overweight. Haha maybe ur right maybe instead of 1 serving of brussel sprouts I had 2.. Made so much of a difference.

And literally with the scale. I don't knock anyone for weighing food, however, I'm sorry but I don't see myself .. Just me..carry a scale with me everywhere to weigh food.

And u guys who question the calorie burn check MFP says boxing even for 60 minutes is Atleast 600 calories ..

Wow u need to be thick skin to be on a community board looking for support to lose weight. Thanks for the advice from all.
  • newfutures
    newfutures Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    tazlikeme wrote: »
    hi everyone.. New to posting stuff, old to trying to lose weight. How does anybody meet their calorie intake? MFP is saying 1800 a day!!! WHAT! I would hav to eat a whole chicken to meet that eveyday. Also exercise counts against me because that's just more calories I hav to make up. If I get that message one more time about not meeting my intake....Ugh!! Anyone hav any tips??

I don't eat back my exercise calories first and foremost. why wash your sheets just to throw them in the mud. Second there are all kinds of healthy foods that high in calories. my favorite is avocado. milk is another great one. Then if you still feel 1800 is too much then cut it back some.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't hav added this app if my goal objective was to lie or brag by being overweight. Haha maybe ur right maybe instead of 1 serving of brussel sprouts I had 2.. Made so much of a difference.

A
    Wow u need to be thick skin to be on a community board looking for support to lose weight. Thanks for the advice from all.

No one is saying you're lying. They're saying what you think is correct may not be. If what you are doing is working for you, then don't worry about what others said, but you came here for advice and people gave you good advice and now you're all mad about it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you refuse to use proper tools, don't expect proper results. That's what it is coming down to. At your current weight, you can lose weight without proper weighing and measuring but there will come a point when you need to be more exact because you will have a lot less wiggle room. You can either get used to being more exact now or start later but, either way, it is not difficult to weigh or measure food properly.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the comments...

To some of ur questions/comments:
    - yes, I am counting them correctly. I log everything I eat. I do not hav a scale to weigh my food.
    - Yes obviously for me to gain 60 lbs I did eat over 3000 calories, foods rich is fat, grease, fried, lots of butter, and alcohol, as I'm a sweet wine drinker. My point is to try to eat a lot of foods but healthier. If ur eating fast food for lunch and dinner u can easily blow 3000 calories.. If I'm eating chicken and salmon baked.. It's hard. Plus my workout routine blows 700 of those calories.
    - While it's great u guys are pointing out what I'm doing wrong, more suggestions over things I can do as far healthier food options would be better. I appreciate the ideas of more grains and nuts,

There were a ton of suggestions given on page 1. I'm glad you apparently liked a couple of them, but at some point it becomes redundant just listing the same foods over and over again. You seem to have dismissed most of the ideas presented because you didn't like them, ignored the link I gave you entirely, and now I'm just not sure what you want.

If you don't like the ideas you're getting here, then google high calorie meal ideas. Ignore the suggestion that they're just for gaining weight (they aren't) and start incorporating some of the foods from those. Otherwise, the same advice is going to be repeated here: include higher calorie foods, stop thinking of foods high in fat as bad, and double-check your logging accuracy as possible.

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

And literally with the scale. I don't knock anyone for weighing food, however, I'm sorry but I don't see myself .. Just me..carry a scale with me everywhere to weigh food.

And u guys who question the calorie burn check MFP says boxing even for 60 minutes is Atleast 600 calories ..

No one is saying that you're lying. When we don't log accurately, it's not on purpose, but usually because we don't understand how to log properly. I know I didn't when I started.

I weigh my food with a scale - I don't take it everywhere with me. Being as accurate as possible at home has lead me to lose over 80 pounds.

When I logged my exercise, I'd cut the burn MFP gave me in half. I'd rather underestimate than over-estimate.

I had trouble meeting my goals when I first started, because I had a set idea of foods I was "supposed" to eat to lose weight and be healthy. Those ideas were totally wrong. I can, and do, eat fast food, or restaurant food or ice cream or pizza regularly. You can have those things while having an overall nutrient dense diet.

This is worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU&index=1&list=FLxRg_80KHM-BdcHvV7nkgfg
  • tazlikeme
    Options
    Again, Thanks all for ALL the ideas.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

There are 8 billion posts on MFP explaining in excruciating detail why it's a bad bad idea to take MFP's numbers as they are. And if you aren't weighing your food, you do not know how much you're eating.

But hey, whatever - you've clearly got it all figured out, based on your amazing progress - so keep on doing what you're doing!

:drinker:

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Average day:

Breakfast: green drink, mixed real fruit cup(berries, Mellon, grapes, watermelon)
    I can't really eat anything heavy until after 9. Not a morning person.
    Snack: egg whites, turkey sausage, avocado
    Lunch: grilled salmon, grilled brussel sprouts, grilled asparagus
    Snack: almonds, pistachios, grapes
    Preworkout : banana or Apple
    Workout: 90 min boxing burns 700 calories
    Dinner: chicken and small salad..or protein shake

Suggestions:

Leave breakfast as is if you aren't hungry for more.

Snack: whole eggs. They are healthier anyway. Calories depend on how much avocado and sausage, but a whole avocado is not low in calories and I've seen entries for "medium avocado" that are WAY less than the average avocado I see in the stores. So that's one where weighing could make a huge difference.

Lunch: looks delicious, calories depend on the amount of salmon. Also, are you grilling the salmon in butter or oil? Grilling the veggies in olive oil? If not, consider it, olive oil is good for you and tastes good. Adding a starch like rice or potatoes or sweet potatoes is a good way to increase the calories of a meal and if you are working out a lot may be helpful.

Snack: again, I have no idea of the calories without the amounts. Nuts have a lot of calories.

Preworkout -- another 100 calories or so.

Dinner: are you including a dressing? An olive oil and vinegar based dressing is good for you and adds calories. What's on the salad? If olives and cheese or nuts or dried fruit are included, more calories. Chicken, depends on the amount, and consider having some cuts besides breast, leaving on the skin, and varying the type of meat. Also, again you could add a starch.

But there's really no way to tell how much you are eating without seeing the numbers and how you get them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    One important question is how long have you been doing this and what are your results so far? That's the best way to confirm the deficit that you actually have and figure out whether you need to be eating more.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I ate 1800 cals in one dinner at Jack in the Box just last saturday. It's amazing how easy it is.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me how defensive people get. You asked for tips, you got a ton of tips from people who have been in nearly identical situations...
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,649 Member
    Options
    OP, I know you're just looking for ideas on how to eat healthier and get your calories up but I'm soooooo confused on where you are right now in your weight loss journey. Did you just start mfp? Have you lost anything eating what you're eating now and trying to get to the 1800 calories?

I'm asking because you're kind of poo pooing peoples' suggestions to weigh your food and not take mfp's calorie burn number as gospel but I'm not even sure we ever got that answer.

I'm right there with you with the not cooking and going out to eat but seriously, if you're not losing eating "below" the 1800 you're being told to eat, weighing food other people are preparing for you really helps.
  • tazlikeme
    Options
    Glasspro- I've used MFP off and on for past few years, not consistent with logging but received calorie, protein count on foods. In the past I hav lost weight (60-70lbs) with healthy eating lik I stated before and working out. This is/was my first time trying to log what I eat daily and was just startled by the calories. This was only my 3rd day at logging. As I stated in my initial post I was looking for tips on increasing my calorie intact.

I received several ideas and did not say they any were bad just not right for me. I am sure they work. My intent was not to poo poo on anyone ideas.

Every bodies weight loss journey is different, what works for some might not for everyone.