females lifting heavy get bigger -_-

Options

Replies

• Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Your body is amazing, I mean, it keeps you alive right,and you can do stuff and run and lift and have fun.

We all must accept and love ourselves as we are,this doesn't mean we can't try to get fit,but like, I was sad my whole life that I was buttless,literally,it was like an inward curve,sooo weird, and well, I was sure it'd stay like that,so imagine my joy when those squats brought...a lil roundie firm butt!! but it'd be silly for me to expect to get Jloish haha even if I'm latin, so like, worry not,workout hard, eat well and if some things you don't like too much see how much can they be tweaked around. :3

• MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Hi. Let me start with I'm 5'8, 176#, about 26% body fat, and enjoy challenging myself with weight lifting. I'm not petite and my family won't let me forget it. My profile pic is from last year when I was 11 pounds lighter and lifting.I'm getting back on track after losing 11 pounds on weight watchers and not liking how my body looked from just cardio and deficit in calories. So, I joined the juice head gym by me because it's cheap and has a lot of great equipment. It's only been a week but I'm really excited and proud of how determined I am and how I feel like I know what I'm doing with my form and what whatever. I'm also following iifym and tracking everything. Ihave already lost 2.2 more pounds in this first week.

That being said, my family is discouraging me because I'm very muscular (with chub on top) and have a larger bone structure (wide shoulders). I have my mother's horrendous arms that run in my family like you wouldn't believe, a naturally xlarge behind, and strong, big, thighs. I've been an athlete through college so I have a lot of strength for a girl. So far I sound gigantic. But, my waist is rather small, and my knees and elbows down are boney. So in short - I'm a bulky girl. I'm not fat but I'm not the kind of girl you say is thin either. I'd like to get smaller overall but keep my proportions for the most part because they make me feel feminine. My family is telling me when regular (petite) girls lift heavy they can look good but not me because I've got a large frame. They are getting in my head and after going to the beach yesterday all I could see were my bulky, non-petite flaws and I need confirmation that I'm doing the right thing. I'd really love (I really need) some insight on this! Thanks mfps

In addition to working out, you should work on your mindset.

What is wrong with being "bulky" or looking/being strong? If it makes YOU happy, then that is all that matters. Your family doesn't understand, so like most people who don't...they just talk. Ignore it, and do what makes you happy regardless of the approval of others.

^This
    Hi. Let me start with I'm 5'8, 176#, about 26% body fat, and enjoy challenging myself with weight lifting. I'm not petite and my family won't let me forget it. My profile pic is from last year when I was 11 pounds lighter and lifting.I'm getting back on track after losing 11 pounds on weight watchers and not liking how my body looked from just cardio and deficit in calories. So, I joined the juice head gym by me because it's cheap and has a lot of great equipment. It's only been a week but I'm really excited and proud of how determined I am and how I feel like I know what I'm doing with my form and what whatever. I'm also following iifym and tracking everything. Ihave already lost 2.2 more pounds in this first week.

That being said, my family is discouraging me because I'm very muscular (with chub on top) and have a larger bone structure (wide shoulders). I have my mother's horrendous arms that run in my family like you wouldn't believe, a naturally xlarge behind, and strong, big, thighs. I've been an athlete through college so I have a lot of strength for a girl. So far I sound gigantic. But, my waist is rather small, and my knees and elbows down are boney. So in short - I'm a bulky girl. I'm not fat but I'm not the kind of girl you say is thin either. I'd like to get smaller overall but keep my proportions for the most part because they make me feel feminine. My family is telling me when regular (petite) girls lift heavy they can look good but not me because I've got a large frame. They are getting in my head and after going to the beach yesterday all I could see were my bulky, non-petite flaws and I need confirmation that I'm doing the right thing. I'd really love (I really need) some insight on this! Thanks mfps
    Tell your family to go f*** themselves.

More importantly ^ this!

I'm 5'2 and I've heard the opposite, "Muscular petite girls just look bulky/too big," and my response to that is, "LOL KEWL STORY!"

Just keep in mind most people are f**king morons and have no idea what they are talking about - including family.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

First post I've seen mindset mentioned - +10. This site really needs a rep button.

Several of us talked about her mindset. It's also talked about in other topics, usually by long standing members.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

First post I've seen mindset mentioned - +10. This site really needs a rep button.

You're not on here much are you.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Your body type is genetically determined. Work with what you have. Your picture looks a lot better than the way you describe yourself. Honestly, if someone were trying to discourage me from working out, citing "flaws" of my body, I would flip it on them and say "well then YOU should/shouldn't (whatever) because you're flabby (or whatever)" and see how THEY like it. If they whine about that, say, "well I won't do it to you if you stop doing it to me. Deal?"
  • Kriistabell
    Kriistabell Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    isnt petite anything under 5'4? correct me if Im wrong unless you mean a smaller frame.
    I might have been using it wrong. I was thinking it meant something similar to dainty
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    Do you have the type of family that would be comfortable with you saying "Shut the f up and mind your own business."? If so, do it. If not, do it.

That's all I got.

Lol I do blow up sometimes
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    People who don't exercise don't get it. We each have an underlying body type. We can make the most of it, and alter it to an extent with diet and exercise, but we can't alter our underlying bone structure or predisposed shape. //
    My mum recently shocked me by saying that she didn't understand how Serena Williams had so much stamina, since she was a bit chubby.
    I did ask if she was watching the same match as me, but she grew up at a time when fit equalled slender and when there were no strong female role models. She didn't see the strength. (I did point it out to her and she was surprised but impressed).
    I think the world of tennis is a great example of how we can all work with our natural bodyshape and obtain different results which look vastly different but which allow us all to become fit, healthy and strong. All different heights, shapes and sizes, but all with the ability to improve.
    I love the idea of getting fitter and stronger, yet I know some people think that is not ideal.
    I say, get healthier and fitter, if you want to get strong, lift. don't worry about anyone else, your opinion of your body is the only one that matters.

I like you :smile: and I think you're right about different generations not getting it. Serena Williams is amazing. It's nice that your mom listened and appreciated out afterwards. Thanks for the encouraging words of wisdom!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    isnt petite anything under 5'4? correct me if Im wrong unless you mean a smaller frame.
    I might have been using it wrong. I was thinking it meant something similar to dainty

Well, you aren't. You can either mope about it and let others make you feel bad for your genetics or you can decide to embrace what you have and tell them to mind their own business.

I got teased about my thick thighs and huge butt for years. I'm not built to be thin or dainty. I stopped trying to fit what others thought I should be and I went out and set a world record for deadlift. They don't tease me anymore.

Tell your family to stop talking about your body or you'll stop talking to them.
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    I am curious to know how much weight you lift in various lifts? Can you give some of your best lifts and/or how much you lift for reps on average?

I only started a little over a week ago but for me I'm excited. I have maxed out the leg press, do 150# power dead lifts, 80 pound triceps pull downs, and my favorite is when I have a 300 pounder a piggy back ride lol. I don't really track the amount I lift. I'm planning to get a notebook so I could improve.
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    andylllI wrote: »
    Keep doing you. Are your family members trainers or coaches? No? Then they have no f'in clue what they are talking about. If I'd listened to my family i would be one unhappy lady since over the years they have come out with such gems as "don't go to x school it's too hard just do something less demanding" and "are you sure you want to marry that guy?"

Nb: love both my career and my husband like crazy balls.

Family member are more often than not idiots and not the people you should take advice from. Take advice from experts in the field. If you want help with your body or how you perceive it there are experts that can help. Some of them are quite generous with their time and knowledge on these boards and one of those experts had already replied to you (hint she has amaze all abs and is the author of many great threads).

Take care. You look great and you are strong and love being strong and that imho is so much more important than appearance.

Thank you for the thoughtful response. My dad swears he could be a trainer but he's not one. He's thinking about it for after he retires. However, I don't think he is able to see past himself. The rest of my family has absolutely no business talking about anything health related to me. I like telling them things because I get excited and want to share with them, but I'm going to have to stop because what you're saying is true. Thanks once again. :smiley:
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I wouldn't listen to your family, it is your body, so long as it is healthy, make your body into whatever YOU want.
    Also, when did wide shoulders become a bad thing? Maybe I'm stuck in the 80s, but I remember shoulder pads being popular to look like your shoulders were bigger. Societal definitions of beauty will always be capricious I guess.

Lol true! My mom actually used to say I was lucky to have broad shoulders and she wore shoulder pads herself!
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Petite = 5'3'
    AT 5'8" you are "tall." :smiley:
    Your family lacks basic boundaries. Family members should not be talking about each like that.
    They are beyond weird.
    THEY ARE NOT GOING TO CHANGE. :/
    Quit talking to them about your body and your workouts.
    Refuse to engage. Honor your own boundaries. Respect your privacy.
    Enjoy how much you appreciate yourself and how much you have been accomplishing. <3

Thank you. I'm going to quit talking to them. I get excited and want to share cuz they're my family but no more of that. My boyfriend is proud of me, I'll tell him when I feel accomplished :smile:
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Tell your family either nicely, or not so nicely to stfu, and then grab this year's issue of SI's "Body issue" and read about the US hammer thrower featured in it.

I'll check that out. Thank you
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »

Hey, a calisthenics based routine is fantastic and practically free compared to a gym. And if you want to integrate that into your life I would say go for it, if not then don't worry about what dad says. Everyone who discovers something that improves their life tends to believe everyone else would benefit also, but you have yours and that's what needs to come first.

I think it's great too and am trying to learn how to do a pull up! Lol I just don't believe that it's the only great thing like my dad does. Thank you for the encouragement! :)
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    Your body is amazing, I mean, it keeps you alive right,and you can do stuff and run and lift and have fun.

We all must accept and love ourselves as we are,this doesn't mean we can't try to get fit,but like, I was sad my whole life that I was buttless,literally,it was like an inward curve,sooo weird, and well, I was sure it'd stay like that,so imagine my joy when those squats brought...a lil roundie firm butt!! but it'd be silly for me to expect to get Jloish haha even if I'm latin, so like, worry not,workout hard, eat well and if some things you don't like too much see how much can they be tweaked around. :3

True! Nothing is set in stone! I can tweak things to my own liking. Congrats on your booty gains!!
  • Kriistabell
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Your body type is genetically determined. Work with what you have. Your picture looks a lot better than the way you describe yourself. Honestly, if someone were trying to discourage me from working out, citing "flaws" of my body, I would flip it on them and say "well then YOU should/shouldn't (whatever) because you're flabby (or whatever)" and see how THEY like it. If they whine about that, say, "well I won't do it to you if you stop doing it to me. Deal?"

Lol you're badass! I would do it if my mom wouldn't cry and yell about it and ignore me for a month haha
  • Kriistabell
    Options

What is wrong with being "bulky" or looking/being strong? If it makes YOU happy, then that is all that matters. Your family doesn't understand, so like most people who don't...they just talk. Ignore it, and do what makes you happy regardless of the approval of others.

^This

Tell your family to go f*** themselves.

More importantly ^ this!

I'm 5'2 and I've heard the opposite, "Muscular petite girls just look bulky/too big," and my response to that is, "LOL KEWL STORY!"

Just keep in mind most people are f**king morons and have no idea what they are talking about - including family.

Lol nice. I'm going to tell them Kewl StoryBro. They won't know what to say
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

I echo this ^ It almost sounds like some jealously coming from your family. You're on your way to being happy, healthy and strong, and I dare say that they aren't any of these? You don't lift for others, you do it for yourself so keep on lifting!

i love being strong. I'm not sure I want to be bulky though. I like some types of bulky but not all so I'm trying to work towards my own goal of being the kind of bulky that would make me happy. I don't know that I get to choose though.

From your profile pic it doesn't seem like you get bulky for a woman, but some women do. I was reading an interview with Serena Williams on her body and she said she never lifts weights because she is bulky enough without them. She does some other type of strength training.

So, if you feel you get too bulky from weight lifting then don't lift weights. Maybe give your dad's plan a try, or try some other form of strength training. But if you like the way you look when weight lifting, then lift weights and ignore the comments.

Do what makes you happiest.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You wont get bulky. I only lift heavy and have been eating at a deficit. At one point I was 220 lbs I started lifting at 188 lbs. I am 140 lbs now 5'7

I wear a size 2. I am not bulky but I am lean.