Spirulina

Options
moog54
moog54 Posts: 67 Member
I have recently seen a program that says this is the new 'power' food on the block. Done a lot of research, I found out that it is high protein, low fat/carb and can help conditions like diabetes, circulation and cancer. I have now purchased a tub of this powder and will keep you informed as to results. What I'm interested in is, has anyone else had experiance of Spirulina or other 'power foods' and had good/bad experiances?

Replies

• plaffo786
    plaffo786 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I haven't but would be interested in recipes that use it
  • moog54
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I plan to add it to my shakes to increase my protein levels. Im told that this is a single cell micro-organism, farmed in the USA. It's quite expensive but hey if it's as good as it says must be worth it. I read that it is used in third world countries to help beat malnutrition.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    moog54 wrote: »
    I plan to add it to my shakes to increase my protein levels. Im told that this is a single cell micro-organism, farmed in the USA. It's quite expensive but hey if it's as good as it says must be worth it. I read that it is used in third world countries to help beat malnutrition.

This is what my wife did in the past (added it to shakes.)

It is certainly has convenience benefits but is it worth the money? Probably not as you can maintain a healthy, balanced diet without is at less cost. I would recommend you watch the most recent episode of "Superfoods - The Real Story" where it was discussed.
  • moog54
    Options
    Thats where I got the idea from, I have ordered a pot of this stuff thro Holland & Barret (UK heath food shop). The program had mostly praise for this wonder product saying that it had positive health benefits.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Go easy on it, I put some in my green smoothie and it was very bitter. I ended up giving the jar away because I couldn't stand it.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Spirulina is not new. My stepmom was all hot on it in the early 80s. She was hoping it was a miracle weight-loss food. It wasn't. And she still has heart disease.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My son drinks a smoothie with Spirulina in it. I am not a fan of the flavor. Yuck. He likes it though and drinks it based on the health benefits more than the flavor. I need good flavor too for it to be worth it to me!
  • moog54
    Options
    Yes I can now vouch for the bitter flavour, even with orange juice it turned it all dark green and tastes awful. Its ok once its down, but it tastes and smells dreadful. According to the instuctions Im to drink 3 teaspoons (10g) a day.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    It makes for a pretty tasty green beer: Freetail Brewing Co - Spirulina Wit
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I tried it for a few months with no improvement in my health. I was hoping for energy, but no luck. I guess it depends on what you're trying to get out of it. I couldn't get past the algae look of it after I tried it with no success so I stopped using it. The marketing for it is great though and it definitely got me to buy one tub of it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Spirulina was all the rage in the seventies, when it was touted as the solution to the world hunger problems. Production costs have not come down and it's about the most expensive protein you can find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirulina_(dietary_supplement)
  • jgnatca
    Options
    You know the two miracle foods I'd like to see touted more? Eggs and buckwheat. Buckwheat is not wheat by the way. Paleos may even be allowed to eat it, and it doesn't have any gluten!

Imagine all the recipes you can make using eggs!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I cured my husband's cold sores by having him take a daily B-12 STRESS vitamin. He's been cold-sore free for over fifteen years.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I want to get my hands on some of that bacon-flavored seaweed I've heard about in the news. That's a sea veggie I can get into.

Spirulina's been around a long time.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Google "Spirulina hoax" for all the info you'll ever need. ;)
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    It's less for weight loss and more for its micronutrient profile. There's some research on the benefits. Is it worth it? I think that depends on if that's where you think the best place for your money is. I would first spend the money on high quality foods, and exercise equipment / gym membership. Then consider any supplements.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    My co-worker drank it and it looked/smelled like the water that comes out of a dirty fish tank filter.
  • jeneticir
    jeneticir Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I put it in my smoothies sometimes- not too much because the flavor is not great, but it has high levels of B12.