Spirulina

Options

Replies

• jonnybhoy
    jonnybhoy Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    moog54 wrote: »
    I plan to add it to my shakes to increase my protein levels. Im told that this is a single cell micro-organism, farmed in the USA. It's quite expensive but hey if it's as good as it says must be worth it. I read that it is used in third world countries to help beat malnutrition.
    Very popular in New Zealand in smoothies
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    There is also such a thing as a placebo effect. Maybe all of these things are acting as a placebo.
  • moog54
    moog54 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    There is also such a thing as a placebo effect. Maybe all of these things are acting as a placebo.

Maybe so, but let me give this a fair trial, say 3months and I'll report back. Somethings gotta happen, it cost enough and it tastes awful.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I think it's more about who you want to believe, the proffesional nutritionists, and scientists who have researched the product. Or those out there who have tried it for a short while, found the results to be disapointing and so decide to put the product down. I will try this for 6 months or so and report back with my results. I am diabetic type2, COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, similar to emphaseama) severe circulatory problems, low blood oxygen and clinicly obese (plus can't spell), so my situation can only get better. The benefit had better be worth it, this stuff tastes awful.

" A pound of this superfood will run you around $30 to $40, and while the daily recommended dose of 10 grams is rich in vitamin K, folate, calcium and magnesium, you will actually find considerably higher amounts of the same nutrients in a salad-sized portion of fresh romaine lettuce. Plus, there is insufficient evidence to support the anti-cancer, immune-boosting and weight loss-enhancing claims that have been made about spirulina. "

http://www.learnvest.com/knowledge-center/a-doctor-dishes-which-superfoods-are-worth-the-cost/
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Only been using this for a couple of days now, have notice one thing, I am not getting food cravings as much. But that could be due to I don't look forward to my next glass of green splooge.

Most of the places I know that sell it, sell it in shots. People just down it like a shot of tequila.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Only been using this for a couple of days now, have notice one thing, I am not getting food cravings as much. But that could be due to I don't look forward to my next glass of green splooge.

Most of the places I know that sell it, sell it in shots. People just down it like a shot of tequila.

Really? Are people really this gullible? Super foods, fad diets, and magic pills... Come on. Next thing you will tell me is I can order real X-Ray Glasses in the back of my comic book...
  • moog54
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Really? Are people really this gullible? Super foods, fad diets, and magic pills... Come on. Next thing you will tell me is I can order real X-Ray Glasses in the back of my comic book...

Provide me with the hard facts that this stuff is 'not' as good as it says it is, then I'll stop using it, until then I will carry on with the trial. There is a lot of evidence out there that supports this power food.

• Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I think it's supposed to be a source of DHA, which vegetarians and other folks who don't eat fish/fish oils may want to supplement for.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Provide me with the hard facts that this stuff is 'not' as good as it says it is...

That's not how logic works.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I cured my husband's cold sores by having him take a daily B-12 STRESS vitamin. He's been cold-sore free for over fifteen years.
    I was just reading a few days ago just how much stress controls herpes outbreaks. Apparently the virus actually has mechanisms to monitor cortisol to tell when to come out off dormancy.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Provide me with the hard facts that this stuff is 'not' as good as it says it is...

That's not how logic works.

That's not what logic is.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Provide me with the hard facts that this stuff is 'not' as good as it says it is, then I'll stop using it, until then I will carry on with the trial. There is a lot of evidence out there that supports this power food.

I for one am excited to hear how you go. Take note if your skin or any conditions improve.

• FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    spirulina is not some magical thing and it's not new. Personally I think it tastes like dried pond scum and you couldn't pay me enough money to eat it. It's HORRID. I'd highly suggest you just eat a whole foods diet and if you want to spirulina, then go for it but it isn't going to be a miracle. GL
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options

I did a few posts before this. You ignored it.

Snake Oil salesman have always been a pet peeve of mine. I hate seeing people wasting money (or more correctly making less than honest folks rich).
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I saw a movie about this stuff once. They couldn't use the actual name of it in the movie so they code-named it SOYLENT GREEN in the movie... I think it's made out of people.
  • Christine_72
    Options

Snake Oil salesman have always been a pet peeve of mine. I hate seeing people wasting money (or more correctly making less than honest folks rich).

I can't see anything negative at all in taking spirulina. Quite the opposite in fact.
    It's nutritional profile is pretty impressive.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I can't see anything negative at all in taking spirulina. Quite the opposite in fact.

so is the fact that you already said you tried it and thought it tasted so bad you couldn't stick with it.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

so is the fact that you already said you tried it and thought it tasted so bad you couldn't stick with it.

yeah it didn't taste pleasant at all. I could have easily swapped over to capsule form, but it would have been too expensive.

I'm in Australia, where everything costs TWICE as much as America

• moog54
    Options

No I didn't ignore you, I read anything I can on this. So far the evidence has been just personal thoughts on this. I need to see professional data so I can make a good solid conclusion. The evidence I have so far is in favor of this product. Please im not interested in personal issues about this, just hard facts.
  • moog54
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

yeah it didn't taste pleasant at all. I could have easily swapped over to capsule form, but it would have been too expensive.

I'm in Australia, where everything costs TWICE as much as America

Hi Christine
    If I knew beforehand the issues re the flavour I too would have paid more for the capsules. Maybe next time, but for now I have about a months supply. I don't know about America or Australia but its not overly expensive here in UK.