Spirulina

Options

Replies

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    It sounds like the kind of thing that should come in capsule form so you don't have to taste it in order to benefit from it.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    jeneticir wrote: »
    I put it in my smoothies sometimes- not too much because the flavor is not great, but it has high levels of B12.
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I cured my husband's cold sores by having him take a daily B-12 STRESS vitamin. He's been cold-sore free for over fifteen years.

Spirulina was all the rage in the seventies, when it was touted as the solution to the world hunger problems. Production costs have not come down and it's about the most expensive protein you can find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirulina_(dietary_supplement)

I see nothing about a herpes cure. I'll have to find, I mean my friend will have to find something else. Meanwhile, I think I'll eat the usual tasty things like chicken, fish, beans, etc. to get my protein.

There may be hope for "your friend" after all!
  • Laurenjenai
    Laurenjenai Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I took spirulina back when I was losing weight, I took it in capsule form to avoid tasting it. If you read on it there are many benefits to it, but some think you can get the same benefits by food as well, which is true also.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »
    My co-worker drank it and it looked/smelled like the water that comes out of a dirty fish tank filter.

I just threw up in my mouth.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You know the two miracle foods I'd like to see touted more? Eggs and buckwheat.

Know what the problem with eggs are? Eggs pretty much require some effort in preparation! ;) No quick two second prep and down the hatch. I know many people who won't do eggs for the simple fact they have to be cooked (unless you're into raw eggs).

Seriously though, I don't know what I'd do without eggs, two eggs a day, and so very tasty no matter how they're done.

The other problem is most people are scared of the yolk due to misinformation.
    jeneticir wrote: »
    I put it in my smoothies sometimes- not too much because the flavor is not great, but it has high levels of B12.

I hear an echo in here... it's saying "eggs". :) Again, the majority of B-12 is in the yolk.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Ok

This thread cleared up my wondering if I should buy some

More $ saved by MFP
  • moog54
    moog54 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    The benefit had better be worth it, this stuff tastes awful. Takes blending with strong fruit like orange or banana to make it palatable. One thing is down it quick then a couple glasses of water helps. I bought 200g of this so got to go the course.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I tried it many years ago and it did nothing for me. Tastes like frog spawn!!!!
  • moog54
    Options
    I think it's more about who you want to believe, the proffesional nutritionists, and scientists who have researched the product. Or those out there who have tried it for a short while, found the results to be disapointing and so decide to put the product down. I will try this for 6 months or so and report back with my results. I am diabetic type2, COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, similar to emphaseama) severe circulatory problems, low blood oxygen and clinicly obese (plus can't spell), so my situation can only get better. The benefit had better be worth it, this stuff tastes awful.
  • moog54
    Options
    It could be a placebo effect, that is if you believe in it then it must be doing you some good.

Lots of people believe in religion but has it been proved or disproved? No, but by believing they feel better.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You spell better than most, but the green powder will do nothing for you, except making your food taste horrid. Cut your losses. You're better off without it.
  • moog54
    Options
    You spell better than most, but the green powder will do nothing for you, except making your food taste horrid. Cut your losses. You're better off without it.

Please tell me where you get your facts so I can form my own oppinion. So far all I am getting is hearsay,
  • moog54
    Options
    Only been using this for a couple of days now, have notice one thing, I am not getting food cravings as much. But that could be due to I don't look forward to my next glass of green splooge.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    moog54 wrote: »

Please tell me where you get your facts so I can form my own oppinion. So far all I am getting is hearsay,

For some reason natural supplements are automatically poo poo'd here...

I've tried spirulina before , but didn't take it long enough to see the benefits. I hope you get something positive out of using it, it's supposed to contain a powerhouse of nutrients.
    Yes, I vividly remember the taste, it was something like prawn poop :sick: Mix it in a shot glass and down it quick :D

• moog54
    Options
    moog54 wrote: »

For some reason natural supplements are automatically poo poo'd here...

I've tried spirulina before , but didn't take it long enough to see the benefits. I hope you get something positive out of using it, it's supposed to contain a powerhouse of nutrients.
    Yes, I vividly remember the taste, it was something like prawn poop :sick: Mix it in a shot glass and down it quick :D

[/quoteThanks Christine, I like idea of the shot glass, it does not have an after taste, I find 2-3 glasses of cold water after helps.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options
    Are empty gelatin or starch capsule savailable for the public to buy? Maybe you could make your own pills.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Are empty gelatin or starch capsule savailable for the public to buy? Maybe you could make your own pills.

yeah you could if you have the time and the patience.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    It's an expensive protein powder. If you like it, knock yourself out, otherwise there are cheaper alternatives.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Even when people have facts they don't believe them. After all they just bought into the marketing and they need to justify that they weren't taken. It is unfortunate.

For those who want to know check out this site.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/algae.html