Bad Foods Tell Me To Eat Them

Options
13»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    It's when people start designating food as bad and good, issues with choices happen. Foods are either nutrient dense or not. Is it a better choice to pick nutrient dense? Sure, but in you meet your micros daily, then your only concern at that point should be calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mariemxx
    mariemxx Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    mariemxx wrote: »
    Rocky_1975 wrote: »
    :# Such a funny title but I'm so serious, I was at subway last night (SO MANY HEALTHY OPTIONS) and what do I do .. I get a steak and cheese flatbread. I know better. and even though it was within my calorie range I'm still disappointed in myself for not making a better choice. I really think sometimes I cant do it because its like im addicted to these horrible foods with so much sugar and so many calories. its terrible. but today is a new day and I didn't go over my calorie budget but still !
    Seems like food/"bad food"/sugar "addiction" is a convenient escape from responsibility. Just call it an addiction and then it's not my fault anymore

Not at all, I know it is completely within me to resist the cravings for these foods. however I do know that you do go through a withdrawal period when minimizing processed foods and sugars.

I know it's popular for some reason to call some foods "addictive" and to talk about "withdrawing" from them. But foods aren't addictive in the true sense of the word. "Processed foods" is pretty much a throwaway term that has little meaning when you really think it through, and you aren't "withdrawing" from food.

I'm pointing this out only because those particular words carry a lot of negative implications, and by labeling yourself as an 'addict' who is 'withdrawing', it disempowers you, minimizes your ability to make conscious choices, and makes it easier to see yourself as facing some horrible burden and challenge.

It's usually more helpful to focus on finding ways to fit food you enjoy into your caloric allowance, learn to recognize real hunger signals versus emotional or situational triggers, and work out the most personally satisfying ways of meeting your nutritional requirements while leaving room for treats like chips.

Yeah , I understand. I'm still new to this so my "relationship" with food isn't the best. Thank you!
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Personally, if I was experiencing auditory hallucinations, I think what I ate that day would be my last concern.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    brcossette wrote: »
    "Bad Foods Tell Me To Eat Them" So start listening to good foods instead...

Food talked to me one time. I was peeling the top back on my yogurt and it spit at me. *kitten*. Other than that, I try to tune the food out, because, you know... I'm normal.

I'm guessing it only talked back that one time, right?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Rocky_1975 wrote: »
    :# Such a funny title but I'm so serious, I was at subway last night (SO MANY HEALTHY OPTIONS) and what do I do .. I get a steak and cheese flatbread. I know better. and even though it was within my calorie range I'm still disappointed in myself for not making a better choice. I really think sometimes I cant do it because its like im addicted to these horrible foods with so much sugar and so many calories. its terrible. but today is a new day and I didn't go over my calorie budget but still !
    Seems like food/"bad food"/sugar "addiction" is a convenient escape from responsibility. Just call it an addiction and then it's not my fault anymore

Not at all, I know it is completely within me to resist the cravings for these foods. however I do know that you do go through a withdrawal period when minimizing processed foods and sugars.

I know it's popular for some reason to call some foods "addictive" and to talk about "withdrawing" from them. But foods aren't addictive in the true sense of the word. "Processed foods" is pretty much a throwaway term that has little meaning when you really think it through, and you aren't "withdrawing" from food.

I'm pointing this out only because those particular words carry a lot of negative implications, and by labeling yourself as an 'addict' who is 'withdrawing', it disempowers you, minimizes your ability to make conscious choices, and makes it easier to see yourself as facing some horrible burden and challenge.

It's usually more helpful to focus on finding ways to fit food you enjoy into your caloric allowance, learn to recognize real hunger signals versus emotional or situational triggers, and work out the most personally satisfying ways of meeting your nutritional requirements while leaving room for treats like chips.

Yeah , I understand. I'm still new to this so my "relationship" with food isn't the best. Thank you!

think about it as currency- and you have a budget.

You can chose to spend it more wisely- or you can splurge.

Somedays you splurge and make it work (bonus from work or 20 bucks you found on the floor) or somedays you say eff it and put it on the CC. Is it a wise desicion? no- but those shoes really are super fabulous- so you do it.

Same with your food- as @PrizePopple said- you have good days and you have bad days.

Buying shoes doesn't mean you go binging on shoes for the rest of the month.

So have your not so awesome day and hit it like the angry fist of god the next day. Stop looking at is as healthy unhealthy- good or bad. Just a general guideline and goals. Averages matter more than the day to day. So remember trendlines are your friend.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Personally, if I was experiencing auditory hallucinations, I think what I ate that day would be my last concern.

Unless you ate the wrong mushrooms, then what you ate could be the issue.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    It's about how I felt after eating it. that is all.

Maybe the problem is how much you listen to people who tell you about bad foods and sugar addiction?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Steak flatbread has "so much sugar"?

I'm not sure you're being completely honest with yourself...
  • mariemxx
    mariemxx Posts: 56 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thank you!

• EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    [quote="JoRocka;33275483"
    think about it as currency- and you have a budget.

You can chose to spend it more wisely- or you can splurge.

Somedays you splurge and make it work (bonus from work or 20 bucks you found on the floor) or somedays you say eff it and put it on the CC. Is it a wise desicion? no- but those shoes really are super fabulous- so you do it. <snip>

Buying shoes doesn't mean you go binging on shoes for the rest of the month.

So have your not so awesome day and hit it like the angry fist of god the next day. Stop looking at is as healthy unhealthy- good or bad. Just a general guideline and goals. Averages matter more than the day to day. So remember trendlines are your friend. [/quote]

This. Pretty much "spot on" for my approach.