Thoughts on Rice?(:

Options
124»

Replies

• trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I saw a shop the other day advertising brown rice Sushi (in Australia). Can't say I've ever seen that in Japan! But I suppose so many people still believe in GI for it's satiety and weight loss purposes in Australia.

you can get it here in NZ too.... in Japan brown rice is available sometimes, but in like hippy organic vegan type places and most Japanese people think it's a bit strange when rice is brown. They do have it...just not in sushi!

Interesting! Next time I'm in Japan I'm asking my friends if they eat it :tongue:

aged 17 I had a massive debate with my host mum about the existence of brown rice. eventually I googled it and showed her and she had to accept that it was in fact a thing.... promptly followed by 'god you foreigners are strange'
    This, from the woman who served me all manner of Japanese 'delicacies':p
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Eat it. It doesn't matter. Brown. White. There are some very smart people who say that brown rice is actually not as good for you as white. At the end of the day, it's about total intake. If the rest of your diet is nutritious it doesn't matter. Bruce lee sure didn't care.

This.
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Fluffy, hot, and yum
    Naysayers are full of shiz
    White rice for the win
  • NewDad24
    NewDad24 Posts: 45
    Options
    I have lived in and traveled in Asia. I love Asian food. I love rice. I eat brown, white, and Basmati. I often mix varieties of rice. I even eat that Ramadan sticky rice. My favorite weight-loss program has been my move to Asia, though it took some time being satisfied with smaller portions everywhere except at the Western chains.

But when dieting here in U.S.A., the easiest calories to remove from my diet are much of the carbohydrates. I have a tough time getting the protein, vitamins, and fiber that I need while maintaining a substantial calorie deficit. So I eat a lot less of the white rice. The anti-nutrient phytates have not lowered my iron as my doctors tell me to avoid supplements having iron and my blood drops still sink like little stones in solution. I eat lots of foods higher in phytates than brown rice.

I don't know about this information about protein uptake being less because of the fiber in brown rice. But for sure there is more protein in the brown rice. I don't see if you were getting all your required fiber somewhere other than rice, how would you be better at absorbing protein? Fiber is fiber; it doesn't matter if it comes from rice or somewhere else. Overall, it seems that you are going to be absorbing more protein when more protein is present. If it is post-workout ingestion of brown rice that is problematic, I think just avoiding all rice after a workout would be better than eating the white rice.

Arsenic? Yikes! It is a good thing the rice is rinsed and boiled then.
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Generally I love rice. Im half Thai cant live without rice tho.
    Read a lot of posts here and its great to know that its still ok to eat rice but to look after the consumption. Im still trying tho.