Its impossible for me to lose weight with hypothyroidism

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    If your thyroid levels are too low, it will be harder to lose weight than it should be. You need to make your doctor treat your hypothyroidism. If you are iodine deficient, an iodine supplement might help, but it will probably take more than that. If he wants a second opinion, get it. The sooner the better. As soon as you get your thyroid levels under control, you will be able to take off the weight. In the mean time, I would use a food scale, and work on learning the eating habits (weighing, calorie counting, working out, etc) that will help you on the journey ahead.

Get your TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 levels checked, and aim to be in the Optimal zone.

zotrwlhvxcb6.png
  • kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Im trying not to. Thats the hard part. Last week the scale went down everyday. This week its went up up up and ive been doing and eating the exact same things I did the last week. Just totally discouraged me.
  • blankiefinder
    Im trying not to. Thats the hard part. Last week the scale went down everyday. This week its went up up up and ive been doing and eating the exact same things I did the last week. Just totally discouraged me.

I cross posted with you, so don't miss my post above yours :)

Don't worry about week to week fluctuations, weight loss will always bounce around. Just look at the overall trend.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    If im doing anything im eating too low of calories.

No, you're not.

Your logging is completely broken - you are eating way more than you think.
  • kristinhull1
    I got on the 20th for my ultrasound of my thyroid. Then hopefully soon after that he'll tell me what I need to do to get this weight off.
  • kristinhull1
    Idk how that could be possible. Im starving.
  • blankiefinder
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

No, you're not.

If her hypothyroidism is not under control, this is not necessarily true.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    edited July 2015
    Idk how that could be possible. Im starving.

You rely on a lot of low protein foods and not much that adds bulk like green vegetables. You don't have to go low carb, but include some greens and add more lean protein and you will likely feel more full.
  • kristinhull1
    It cant be. Im eating 3 meals a day. Very small meals. Even if im not weighing the meals im still logging in at 1100 cals a day. I have 700 more I can eat without exercising. Thats 700 more calories I could have accidently used without weighing foods. Im still at a defecit.
  • kristinhull1
    @bpetrosky you have any suggestions. I thought chicken and egg whites were protein
  • bpetrosky
    edited July 2015
    @bpetrosky you have any suggestions. I thought chicken and egg whites were protein

Yes, they are, but you don't have much of them. Other meals are packaged, which aren't bad on their own, but you can be eating more because the packages can be 5%-20% more than the label says.

Can you get chicken breast, instead of the canned chicken? Personally, I like chicken thighs better for flavor, but they are higher calorie.

Also, some sort of vegetables add bulk for low calories and lots of nutrients. You'll feel more full if you're a volume eater. Frozen veggie blends can be very convenient.

Also, lots of breads and sweets. I wouldn't say you have to give them up, but you can cut back and make more room for proteins and vegetables.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited July 2015
    kristin sweety listen
    it is possible to lose with a bad or not functioning thyroid.

But sometimes ( not always) it can be slower.

Now for the eating part. Look at your diary and look at mine

I eat almost 4 times as much as you, and really hun you have to start weighing EVERYTHING.
    Your foods are very calorie dense while you cant eat much of it. Plus more salt which makes you hold water weight.

So your weight fluctuate more...those 5lbs are not FAT!
    Start using your scale and WEIGH everything
    introduce more veggies and fruit in your daily intake.

This is why people say you can eat everything....but... some foods you have to eat far less off. So when you dont want to feel hungry you have to swap some things for veggies and fruits.
  • bpetrosky
    Oh, and I love pizza, but any time I have it I get a bump for a day or two on the scale. Sodium is a very harsh mistress sometimes.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Greek yogurt, nuts, beans, cheese, milk, MEAT.
  • bpetrosky
    This is a good video about how it is very helpful to weigh your food accurately.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JVjWPclrWVY
  • Mr_Knight

No, you're not.

If her hypothyroidism is not under control, this is not necessarily true.

Yes, it is. OP's diary is a morass of unweighed, calorie-dense items.

Other conditions or not, OP is eating more than she thinks - that's a lock.
  • Mr_Knight
    Im still at a defecit.

If you were at a deficit, you would be losing weight.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    ht

No, you're not.

Agreed. Your diet, as much as you are tracking it, is not appropriate for someone with metabolic issues. Just today, in one day, you have had:

bread
    pasta
    candy
    oats
    donuts

You should be eating a lower-carb diet. Your eating is lacking in protein and vegetables.

As for working hard with exercise, stop kidding yourself. You are, very occasionally, doing leisurely walking. It does't seem that you are working out at ALL.

Certainly get a proper diagnosis and start medications. The treatment is very simple--just a small pill once a day. You really do have to take it every day though.

You also have to get serious with yourself. When you do, you will find that progress is slow, but possible.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    I had a previous Dr tell me I was hypo. He gave me iodine supplements. Which did nothing for me. So I switched Drs. Just had blood work done and am getting a ultrasound done of my thyroid this week. Hoping he can tell me why I cant lose this weight. I lose the same 5-15lbs then gain it back. And I dont do anything different.

Iodine supplements are not a treatment for hypothyroidism. That's why they did not work for you. You DO need a second medical opinion. From an endocrinologist or a GP who understands the endocrine system. In the meantime, you can't give up. It's your life and your health, too important!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    ht

No, you're not.

Agreed. Your diet, as much as you are tracking it, is not appropriate for someone with metabolic issues. Just today, in one day, you have had:

bread
    pasta
    candy
    oats
    donuts

You should be eating a lower-carb diet. Your eating is lacking in protein and vegetables.

As for working hard with exercise, stop kidding yourself. You are, very occasionally, doing leisurely walking. It does't seem that you are working out at ALL.

Certainly get a proper diagnosis and start medications. The treatment is very simple--just a small pill once a day. You really do have to take it every day though.

You also have to get serious with yourself. When you do, you will find that progress is slow, but possible.

It doesn't matter WHAT she is eating, she just needs to weigh her food and eat less. And quit knocking her exercise, at least she's moving. She doesn't need to exercise to lose weight, she just needs to eat in a calorie deficit.

Being negative is not going to help.