Its impossible for me to lose weight with hypothyroidism

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Jeneba wrote: »
    I agree with you - you most certainly CANNOT lose weight, no matter what you do, no matter what other people THINK you should be doing unless your thyroid meds AND your adrenal treatments are OPTIMIZED. (Sorry for shouting...)

Most doctors just think they can throw a pill or two at us and everyone will live happily ever after.

These treatments are an Art. You need to test your free T4 and free T3 repeatedly over a period of at least a year before your titration yields the most effective dosage. Just because results seem to fall in a "normal range" does not mean that your levels are right for you.

Check some of the websites such as "Stop the Thyroid Madness" and you will find an entire community ready to support you.

Sending you a Healing Hug.

You most definitely CAN lose weight regardless of the medical condition.
    Soopatt wrote: »
    Do we really think that if 100 people were locked in a room and only given water for a month that most of them would waste away and lose weight except the one person with x health condition?

Do we really think that when prison camps are stormed by armies they find a bunch of skeletal people and one obese person with x health condition?

I don't deny that metabolic disorders exist or there are reasons that some of us lose weight slower than others, but lets get real folks. There is not a person walking this earth that cannot lose weight with the right approach.

Has anyone watched BBC's "Secret Eaters"? All those people say the same things. They are the ones with the special condition. They are the only person on the planet who cannot lose weight. What does it turn out to be every time? They are eating more than they think they are and they are eating unsatisfying foods.

Also, it is worth remembering that if you really are the special snowflake with a slow metabolism, then your slow metabolism needs and demands less fuel, like a small engine, compared to a bigger engine. You should be less hungry and need less calories than your mates, if that was the case.

I was whining on a thread just a little while ago about how hungry I always was. A few people pointed out that I don't eat enough veggies and protein and you know what? They were right. I have increased my veggie intake and eat the right kind of protein more often and my hunger has backed off considerably.

It is harsh to hear these things OP, but you HAVE to start by taking accountability.

I really think some people posting here do not understand some of the basics.

Yes, someone with UNTREATED hypothyroidism will lose weight if they eat little enough, as asserted above. However, if it's severe, they will have to eat below the bottom threshold allowed by MFP. Do you really want them to basically starve themselves to lose weight?

Yes, someone with MANAGED hypothyroidism CAN lose weight. I am always the first to say that! I lost mine. However, the OP's hypothyroidism is NOT under control right now. Don't compare yourself losing on synthroid or Armour to her being able to lose with neither.

With someone with an untreated health condition, the best recommendation is always to see your doctor!

Edited to add that as I already mentioned probably on page 1, that this is a good time for the OP to learn about weight loss by getting a scale and starting to track her calories and learn to log accurately and at least try to maintain.

It might be below the lower threshold of MFP, but it would still only be 500 calories under whatever her body needs to do the things it does (which isn't a lot hence why the TDEE is so low to begin with).

Would you want to live on 900 calories? How would she manage her hunger? I wouldn't want to live on that. Why not treat the hypothyroidism and do this properly?

I wouldn't want to, but she wouldn't be starving herself any more than anyone else on a 500 kcal deficit if she did.

She might suffer from malnutrition though. Do you have any medical training to give advice on how to treat this medical condition, or are you just giving advice on how to lose fat with no regard to health?
    Even at 900 calories or whatever the deficit would be you can get in plenty of veggies for your nutrition needs.

That sounds like a "No, I have no training or knowledge on this medical condition"

I've got a friend who got it. He has some medication and that's it. No special diet needed, he never even was overweight, not even before he got it treated.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OP, set your goal to .5 lb. for every 25 lbs. you're overweight, learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately and honestly, and be patient.

I lost the weight long before my thyroid levels ever entered the "normal" range by following the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

Your endocrinologist will tell you that it is not impossible to lose weight with hypothyroidism. And plenty of us here in this thread are living proof. You can do this.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I agree with you - you most certainly CANNOT lose weight, no matter what you do, no matter what other people THINK you should be doing unless your thyroid meds AND your adrenal treatments are OPTIMIZED. (Sorry for shouting...)

Most doctors just think they can throw a pill or two at us and everyone will live happily ever after.

These treatments are an Art. You need to test your free T4 and free T3 repeatedly over a period of at least a year before your titration yields the most effective dosage. Just because results seem to fall in a "normal range" does not mean that your levels are right for you.

Check some of the websites such as "Stop the Thyroid Madness" and you will find an entire community ready to support you.

Do we really think that if 100 people were locked in a room and only given water for a month that most of them would waste away and lose weight except the one person with x health condition?

Do we really think that when prison camps are stormed by armies they find a bunch of skeletal people and one obese person with x health condition?

I don't deny that metabolic disorders exist or there are reasons that some of us lose weight slower than others, but lets get real folks. There is not a person walking this earth that cannot lose weight with the right approach.

Has anyone watched BBC's "Secret Eaters"? All those people say the same things. They are the ones with the special condition. They are the only person on the planet who cannot lose weight. What does it turn out to be every time? They are eating more than they think they are and they are eating unsatisfying foods.

Also, it is worth remembering that if you really are the special snowflake with a slow metabolism, then your slow metabolism needs and demands less fuel, like a small engine, compared to a bigger engine. You should be less hungry and need less calories than your mates, if that was the case.

I was whining on a thread just a little while ago about how hungry I always was. A few people pointed out that I don't eat enough veggies and protein and you know what? They were right. I have increased my veggie intake and eat the right kind of protein more often and my hunger has backed off considerably.

It is harsh to hear these things OP, but you HAVE to start by taking accountability.

Yes, someone with UNTREATED hypothyroidism will lose weight if they eat little enough, as asserted above. However, if it's severe, they will have to eat below the bottom threshold allowed by MFP. Do you really want them to basically starve themselves to lose weight?

Yes, someone with MANAGED hypothyroidism CAN lose weight. I am always the first to say that! I lost mine. However, the OP's hypothyroidism is NOT under control right now. Don't compare yourself losing on synthroid or Armour to her being able to lose with neither.

With someone with an untreated health condition, the best recommendation is always to see your doctor!

Edited to add that as I already mentioned probably on page 1, that this is a good time for the OP to learn about weight loss by getting a scale and starting to track her calories and learn to log accurately and at least try to maintain.

It might be below the lower threshold of MFP, but it would still only be 500 calories under whatever her body needs to do the things it does (which isn't a lot hence why the TDEE is so low to begin with).

Would you want to live on 900 calories? How would she manage her hunger? I wouldn't want to live on that. Why not treat the hypothyroidism and do this properly?

I wouldn't want to, but she wouldn't be starving herself any more than anyone else on a 500 kcal deficit if she did.

She might suffer from malnutrition though. Do you have any medical training to give advice on how to treat this medical condition, or are you just giving advice on how to lose fat with no regard to health?
    Even at 900 calories or whatever the deficit would be you can get in plenty of veggies for your nutrition needs.

That sounds like a "No, I have no training or knowledge on this medical condition"

I've got a friend who got it. He has some medication and that's it. No special diet needed, he never even was overweight, not even before he got it treated.
    It's true for your friend, ergo true for all?

No. Different people have different degrees of trouble and different experiences. As with most diseases, it gets complicated and each person can have a unique set of problems.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

The point being he's on medication. There's a reason the forums don't advocate eating 900 calories per day, even if that is technically a 500 calorie deficit, because adherence, and potentially malnutrition, becomes an issue.

Sure, she could have a perfect 900 calorie diet, but most people are never going to be able to adhere to that, nor want to; it would suck.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

that's the same as a medical degree, i've heard
  • stevencloser
    edited July 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

Of course it is. Dr. Steve at your service.
    Nah, I guess I shouldn't have extrapolated from my friend's experience to others.

snikkins wrote: »

The point being he's on medication. There's a reason the forums don't advocate eating 900 calories per day, even if that is technically a 500 calorie deficit, because adherence, and potentially malnutrition, becomes an issue.

Sure, she could have a perfect 900 calorie diet, but most people are never going to be able to adhere to that, nor want to; it would suck.

900 is hard to adhere to, yes (if that's even the required amount, that number was just taken out of nowhere I think). You might get malnutrition if you don't pay attention yes. It's possible though, and that's why I answered to the post that said it's impossible in all caps.
    Ideally you could start on a deficit or at least maintenance while going to your doctor to figure out the right dosage for your medication, cause that could take a while.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

So if we remove literally all food from the OP and don't let her eat anything at all, you believe she won't lose weight?

Seriously?

There is a world of difference between saying "my thyroid situation is making weight maintenance challenging" - which NOBODY here questions - and "Its impossible for me to lose weight with hypothyroidism" - which is patently ridiculously incorrect claim.

And thus we end up with threads like this one that devolve into pointless arguments...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I know I have it. I have every symptom. Right now just waiting to see what my Doctor wants to do about it.

First you need to insist on a full blood panel test - TSH, T4, T3, RT3. I hope this is part of your ultrasound, because a scan isn't going to give a reading of your gland activity, but just confirm that there are no nodules present.

Once you get a proper diagnosis and your TSH readings are optimal (0.3-3.0) then you can work out a long term strategy for success. You can lose now; however it will be very challenging.

Some hypothyroid patients present with an unexplained initial weight gain, but this is due to increased cellular uptake - only water weight and usually only amounts to ~10lbs. The rest is governed by CICO.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

So if we remove literally all food from the OP and don't let her eat anything at all, you believe she won't lose weight?

Seriously?

There is a world of difference between saying "my thyroid situation is making weight maintenance challenging" - which NOBODY here questions - and "Its impossible for me to lose weight with hypothyroidism" - which is patently ridiculously incorrect claim.

And thus we end up with threads like this one that devolve into pointless arguments...
    Some people really are incapable of starving themselves, so for them it is impossible.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Nah, I guess I shouldn't have extrapolated from my friend's experience to others.

snikkins wrote: »

900 is hard to adhere to, yes (if that's even the required amount, that number was just taken out of nowhere I think). You might get malnutrition if you don't pay attention yes. It's possible though, and that's why I answered to the post that said it's impossible in all caps.
    Ideally you could start on a deficit or at least maintenance while going to your doctor to figure out the right dosage for your medication, cause that could take a while.

I see what you're getting at, and thanks for clarifying that. It'll take time to figure out exactly what maitenance is as well, though. So, I'd think it'd be better to spend the time trying to accurately log while figuring out what the proper dosage is than trying to go lower since OP already feels like she is starving.

What is clear is that diagnosing doctor who recommended iodine as the solution is full of it. My first step would be getting medicated at all. First prescription might be a shot in the dark, but it'll be better than spinning wheels trying to adhere to potentially something like 900 calories a day.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

:)

tumblr_lrr24xrWyj1qkmpj8o1_500.gif
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Wow this conversation. Eat 900 calories just to lose weight? You're kidding me right. It's pretty common sense that eating a very low calorie diet is not sustainable. It's barely sustainable under a doctor's supervision. I've done it. It sucks, it consumes your very being and all you think about is food. You get cranky and tired. You want to snap at everyone around you. It's not an acceptable way to live. I found, with unchecked thyroid disease, that I could only lose weight at about 700 cals/day. That's with weighing every freakin' morsel that's put in my mouth. Now, with my thyroid in check, I can eat 1600 and lose weight. It's a big difference in life quality. If the OP doesn't get her thyroid in check it will cause more problems than just not being able to lose weight.
  • kellykneppergrundy
    kellykneppergrundy Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When I wasn't on enough thyroid medication after the birth of my second child (having already had treated hypothyroidism for 8+ years) I was maintaining 185 pounds at 5'8 eating 1300-1500 calories a day of weighed food and measured drink. My TDEE must have been around 1400 calories, when every online calculator and my fitbit told me it should have been 1900-2200 calories. I couldn't understand why I couldn't lose the weight when that should have been a significant deficit. I thought I was going crazy. Obviously, the answer is simple now, I wasn't actually eating at a deficit. A 300-500 calorie deficit from my TDEE would have been 900-1100 calories. I'm not willing to eat that little because I have nutrional needs and I enjoy food, like most people. I also became symptomatic of hypothyroidism once again. A blood test showed that I was just inside the normal range, but not at the range that I feel well. A raise in my medication by 25% took about 3 weeks to reduce my symptoms and suddenly I was losing weight at the rate I thought I should have been in the first place. I still need to log my food and drink, like everyone else, to maintain a deficit but am now eating 1400-1600 calories a day of weighed and measured food and drink and losing 1.5 pound a week as I would expect.
    This is only my personal experience. Not everyone with hypothyroidism is going to be the same. Personally, if I were you I'd stop worrying about weight loss until you have the results of your scan and you and your doctor decide on a treatment plan. Once you are being treated start weighing, measuring, and logging (or start now to get used to it and maintain your weight). It's also a good idea to get your vitamin d and b12 levels checked as these are linked to hypothyroidism. Optimal levels of these vitamin won't do much for your weight but they will make you feel less sluggish.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Seriously?

Some people really are incapable of starving themselves, so for them it is impossible.

Wait, what, huh?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OP, get a full blood work up to determine if indeed you do have hypothyroidism.

In the meantime, purchase a food scale, weigh, measure, and accurately log everything. If your results come back to you do indeed have a thyroid problem....keep weighing, measuring, and accurately logging everything. You may need to decrease your calories slightly (provided you aren't indeed eating 900 cals and not losing weight, which I find unlikely). You can still lose weight, especially once medication gets you sorted out.

What I'm trying to get at is that a thyroid issue will not change your approach to weight loss. It may affect the speed of your progress a little, but the method is the same.

edited for clarity
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Im practically starving myself now. I had 4 egg whites with a piece of cheese for breakfast.

At like 150 calories or so? Yeah, I'd be hungry after that breakfast, too. Is there a reason your breakfast is so small?

Also, did you really only eat pizza for two days straight? I don't mean for that to sound judgy, I just am concerned.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Seriously?

Wait, what, huh?

I believe that Kalikel is giving the test subject a choice in whether or not to eat while your test subject has literally no food.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Im practically starving myself now. I had 4 egg whites with a piece of cheese for breakfast.

Sure, I'd be hungry after a 165 calorie "meal" as well. How did you feel after yesterday's 359 calorie breakfast?
  • gettinfitmomma2015
    gettinfitmomma2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have patients all the time that have issues with thyroid issues. You need to get on a medication that will stabilize it or you can have it removed if it continues. I am with everyone you need to start weighing your food. I went out and spoke with a weight loss doctor and he stated two things that stick with me the 1st is the 80/20 rule 80% diet and 20% exercise. 2nd is if you eat in calories what you weigh you will lose weight if you weight 250 then you would eat and drink 250oz worth of food. If you are still having a problem I would do two things go to the doctor and get on meds and then see a weight loss doctor and see what they recommend what you can do if you want a supplement or if you want to do it the natural way.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I have patients all the time that have issues with thyroid issues. You need to get on a medication that will stabilize it or you can have it removed if it continues. I am with everyone you need to start weighing your food. I went out and spoke with a weight loss doctor and he stated two things that stick with me the 1st is the 80/20 rule 80% diet and 20% exercise. 2nd is if you eat in calories what you weigh you will lose weight if you weight 250 then you would eat and drink 250oz worth of food. If you are still having a problem I would do two things go to the doctor and get on meds and then see a weight loss doctor and see what they recommend what you can do if you want a supplement or if you want to do it the natural way.

lollll right

So you say that I as a 160 pound person need to eat 160oz a day????