Its impossible for me to lose weight with hypothyroidism

Options

Replies

• kristinhull1
    kristinhull1 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great advice and motivation. I go on the 20th for a ultrasound of my thyroid. Then ill have a follow up to find out what they want to do about it. I am going to have to buy a scale on payday and start weighing my food. I know the scale should be going down instead of staying up. One day ill be at 180. The next ill be back to where I started. It so discouraging. My Face is so puffy. My hairs falling out. My nails break. I am so tired all the time but yet I cant sleep. Im anxious, depressed. My joints and muscles hurt all the time. I have high blood pressure. I am just so over this 50lbs that needs lost.
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    @LiftAndBalance thats why my new Dr said. That my previous Dr should have never gave me iodine supplements.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the great advice and motivation. I go on the 20th for a ultrasound of my thyroid. Then ill have a follow up to find out what they want to do about it. I am going to have to buy a scale on payday and start weighing my food. I know the scale should be going down instead of staying up. One day ill be at 180. The next ill be back to where I started. It so discouraging. My Face is so puffy. My hairs falling out. My nails break. I am so tired all the time but yet I cant sleep. Im anxious, depressed. My joints and muscles hurt all the time. I have high blood pressure. I am just so over this 50lbs that needs lost.

Personally, I think you should focus on your health first! Weight loss will follow as long as you honestly and accurately log all your food and stay in a calorie deficit. But it might take a while considering you need to probably get your thyroid medication right so making your health your prime motivation might be a better idea at this point than focusing so much on the scale.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I am 50lbs overweight. I cannot lose weight and idk why.

I have been told I have hypothyroidism by one Dr but wanted a 2nd opinion. I'm always going to be fat.

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), but I lost the weight & have kept it off for a year. I lost more slowly than most MFPers, so be patient! But I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.

I followed the advice in the Sexypants post: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1
    Idk how that could be possible. Im starving.

I honestly thought I gained weight for no good reason. But even after I was taking thyroid meds I still kept gaining. Then I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly. What a wake-up call!

I'm less hungry when I use MFP's default protein & fiber goals as minimums and ignore fat & carbs. It'll take trial & error to find what works for you.

Logging works.
  • MamaOfThree88
    MamaOfThree88 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sweetheart, I totally feel your pain and what you are going through. I have hypothyroidism and hashimotos [which is an autoimmune disease related to hypo] and I am about a good 80lbs overweight.

I was fed up with myself, so I went to the doc, got my blood drawn and they put me on thyroid meds and told me to try to go gluten free, wheat free, dairy free, Paleo basically, for three months and see how I feel when I introduce them back.

I am going on day 80 of Paleo. I have lost 35 lbs and I don't exercise on a daily basis. My calorie deficit is at 1650 and I feel truly amazing and have so much energy than ever before.

Just know that it is possible. You just have to be dedicated, have a plan of action, patience and persistence. Please shoot me a message if you want to talk more. :-)
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Do we really think that if 100 people were locked in a room and only given water for a month that most of them would waste away and lose weight except the one person with x health condition?

Do we really think that when prison camps are stormed by armies they find a bunch of skeletal people and one obese person with x health condition?

I don't deny that metabolic disorders exist or there are reasons that some of us lose weight slower than others, but lets get real folks. There is not a person walking this earth that cannot lose weight with the right approach.

Has anyone watched BBC's "Secret Eaters"? All those people say the same things. They are the ones with the special condition. They are the only person on the planet who cannot lose weight. What does it turn out to be every time? They are eating more than they think they are and they are eating unsatisfying foods.

Also, it is worth remembering that if you really are the special snowflake with a slow metabolism, then your slow metabolism needs and demands less fuel, like a small engine, compared to a bigger engine. You should be less hungry and need less calories than your mates, if that was the case.

I was whining on a thread just a little while ago about how hungry I always was. A few people pointed out that I don't eat enough veggies and protein and you know what? They were right. I have increased my veggie intake and eat the right kind of protein more often and my hunger has backed off considerably.

It is harsh to hear these things OP, but you HAVE to start by taking accountability.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Aw, sweetie, I know it's hard! I don't have hypothyriodism, but I have a disease that causes fatigue. Get the hypothyroidism treated ASAP to improve your quality of life, decrease depression, and decrease your appetite.

Also, get a scale and weigh absolutely everything you put in your mouth. :)

Hypothyroidism mostly makes you gain weight because it increases hunger and decreases your energy. If you go work out, you might unconsciously "balance" it because you have low energy, by doing less the rest of the day.

And that hunger? It makes you play tricks with your brain. It makes you add just a LITTLE more of this, a LITTLE more of that. And if you're not weighing, you get fooled by it. You REALLY do. I've been playing games where I try to put the same amount in each time and I don't look at the scale.

When I'm hungry, I cheat EVEN THOUGH I KNOW I'LL CATCH MYSELF. My brain tells me that a larger amount IS the smaller amount I thought it was. It tries to trick me up.

If you're super-hungry, look for low-density items to add. :)

No. Hypothyroidism does not increase your hunger. It slows your metabolism when it's not treated properly. It does decrease your energy -- because you're metabolism has been slowed down.

Once again, you're posting about yourself.

I'm hypothyroid (Hashimoto's) and I second this. An underactive thyroid slows metabolism. You don't gain weight because it makes you hungrier which makes you eat more, you gain weight because your metabolism is lowered. Having said that, you will gain weight at a faster rate than normal if you are overeating. Which is how all of us - screwed up thyroids or not - ended up here. ;)

I've lost over 50 lbs so far. The key is to get properly diagnosed and medicated. That's your priority, OP.

In the meantime, though, you definitely need to obtain a food scale and weigh what you're eating, because you won't really get a handle on that until you do. Packaged foods are generally a land mine of sodium, which may mask any weight loss with water retention. Also, because you're a woman, OP, your monthly cycle can easily add 5+ lbs. Thankfully, both the salt and the TOM gains are temporary, but unless you're aware of them, you can easily get discouraged by them.

:)
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I am going to have to buy a scale on payday and start weighing my food.

This will be a game changer. (But brace yourself for quite a shock!) Weigh everything you eat—including packaged food and creamy spreads (hummus, mayo, peanut butter, dressings, etc.). Every thing.

Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging works.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I am going to have to buy a scale on payday and start weighing my food.

This will be a game changer. (But brace yourself for quite a shock!) Weigh everything you eat—including packaged food and creamy spreads (hummus, mayo, peanut butter, dressings, etc.). Every thing.

Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging works.

Logging made the difference for me when we were figuring out the correct dose of medication. There was one three month period that would end in a "normal" blood test, but I gained and lost the same 3-5 pounds over and over, so I knew it couldn't be right.

Also, don't let everyone scare you that it's going to be super hard or super restrictive. It may have to be, but not always. I'm most certainly not low carb. I've lost about 60 pounds in a little over two years, which might seem slow, but is the result of poor logging on occasion, either intentional or because vacation is awesome.

Get medicated. It might seem like it sucks having to take a pill for forever, but it makes an enormous difference and isn't a personal failure.

You can do this.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Those are definite signs of hypothyroidism. You need blood work to determine your hormone levels and you need medication to adjust them.

I agree with LiftandBalance, worry about your health first, then the scale. You can start trying to log better by weighing your food and verifying your data base entry selections with an outside source, but until your thyroid is straightened out, it's going to be a bit of a rough ride.

Hang in there!

• bookcancer
    bookcancer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter how well you are doing. If you have hypothyroidism you have to start treatment for it. After two weeks on the right dose of medication, your body will be regulated and you will start making more progress! If you have more questions about hypothyroid please message me. I have been on medication for it since I was 5. Good luck!!
  • kristinhull1
    Options
    I know I have it. I have every symptom. Right now just waiting to see what my Doctor wants to do about it.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    You'll find it works out much better once you quit making excuses, right?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    As I said upthread, I still kept gaining & gaining on thyroid meds until I tightened up my logging. And I lost the weight before my thyroid levels ever entered the "normal" range.

Logging works.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Even if im not weighing the meals im still logging in at 1100 cals a day.

Does. Not. Compute.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I know I have it. I have every symptom. Right now just waiting to see what my Doctor wants to do about it.

If I went by this logic I would have just over half of the psychological disorders in the text books, and too many diseases to count. Lol

• centaura57
    centaura57 Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Cut out pop entirely- Check
    Eat 1200-1700 calories a day- Check
    Get exercise as much as I can- Check
    Eat more protein- Check
    Move as much as I can- Check

I am 50lbs overweight. I have dieted once before only losing 15lbs. This time ive lost 5lbs and cant get away from only the 5lbs lost. I cannot lose weight and idk why. Im getting very discouraged. No matter how hard I try the scale wont go below 180. I have been told I have hypothyroidism by one Dr but wanted a 2nds opinion. I have tried everything with no luck. Its pretty much impossible. Im crying as I write this because im always going to be fat.

I'm diabetic and hypothyroid for 25+ years. I had to stop taking thyroid meds and stop insulin as well. Yes, you can lose weight. Learn more about the keto diet or the low carb, high fat (LCHF) and also intermittent fasting (IF). I started with LCHF, transitioned to IF and then to keto (mostly keto for my diabetes) and I've lost 18 pounds in the past 2 months. There most definitely is a light at the end of the tunnel! Oh, and I don't feel like I'm starving, EVER.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    centaura57 wrote: »
    Cut out pop entirely- Check
    Eat 1200-1700 calories a day- Check
    Get exercise as much as I can- Check
    Eat more protein- Check
    Move as much as I can- Check

I am 50lbs overweight. I have dieted once before only losing 15lbs. This time ive lost 5lbs and cant get away from only the 5lbs lost. I cannot lose weight and idk why. Im getting very discouraged. No matter how hard I try the scale wont go below 180. I have been told I have hypothyroidism by one Dr but wanted a 2nds opinion. I have tried everything with no luck. Its pretty much impossible. Im crying as I write this because im always going to be fat.

I'm diabetic and hypothyroid for 25+ years. I had to stop taking thyroid meds and stop insulin as well. Yes, you can lose weight. Learn more about the keto diet or the low carb, high fat (LCHF) and also intermittent fasting (IF). I started with LCHF, transitioned to IF and then to keto (mostly keto for my diabetes) and I've lost 18 pounds in the past 2 months. There most definitely is a light at the end of the tunnel!

Why did you stop your medication? Did your levels regulate themselves?
  • LisaFlag
    LisaFlag Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. Lost almost all my hair, feel in pain a lot too... but the thing about this disease is that at max it can only account for an extra 15-20lbs. Its in the american association for hypothyroidism. I used it as a crutch for the longest time but in reality it really is energy in vs out.