For the guys...women can answer to :-)

Options

Replies

• madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    slaite1 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Well I had a lay off from the gym for over a month. I don't remember a lot of things written in this thread happening. Swelling before getting compact. That does not sound like a calorie deficit. Also six weeks to see a change. I can do a lot in six weeks at the gym.

I was at a deficit. Lots of people swell after a workout. I was running and/or lifting almost every day. My clothes were tighter around the arms and thighs. As my body fat decreased, the clothing got looser. But they would still be tight in certain areas after particular exercises (heavy squats and running).

I've always retained a lot of water-and even at my size (5'7" and 145) I can hold onto almost 10 pounds of water weight. If he is truly eating at a deficit and recently started lifting-I think it's definitely possible to hold onto 10 pounds of water. If it continued, or if the original post said months rather than "about a month" that would be a different story.

"Weight loss is not linear" is something preached on here every day. OP-give it a few more weeks before you reassess. If he continues to gain-or just not lose-it is possible he is eating more than he thinks.

Thank you, I will relay your advise on to him.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Jonnyk23 wrote: »
    Well I had a lay off from the gym for over a month. I don't remember a lot of things written in this thread happening. Swelling before getting compact. That does not sound like a calorie deficit. Also six weeks to see a change. I can do a lot in six weeks at the gym.

I was at a deficit. Lots of people swell after a workout. I was running and/or lifting almost every day. My clothes were tighter around the arms and thighs. As my body fat decreased, the clothing got looser. But they would still be tight in certain areas after particular exercises (heavy squats and running).

I've always retained a lot of water-and even at my size (5'7" and 145) I can hold onto almost 10 pounds of water weight. If he is truly eating at a deficit and recently started lifting-I think it's definitely possible to hold onto 10 pounds of water. If it continued, or if the original post said months rather than "about a month" that would be a different story.

"Weight loss is not linear" is something preached on here every day. OP-give it a few more weeks before you reassess. If he continues to gain-or just not lose-it is possible he is eating more than he thinks.

Swelling after a workout is simply inflammation...

No *kitten*. It is common to hold onto water when starting a new lifting program.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Well I guess I will find out for myself. The last layoff I had was after a muscle repair surgery like 6 years ago. From there on I didn't go more than 2 weeks without some form of weight training.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I just wish I was 6'3...... :D
    Not me. I like having feet and shins.

• Jonnyk23
    Jonnyk23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Jonnyk23 wrote: »

Swelling after a workout is simply inflammation...

No *kitten*. It is common to hold onto water when starting a new lifting program.

Yep, kidneys working overtime!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I wanted to say water retention. But then I read that this 6'3, 300lb man doesn't lose at 1800 calories per day. If that's the case, as much as the OP won't like it and consider this post snarky, the logging is not accurate. I'm a 5'6, 118lb semi-active female and lose on 1800 calories per day. There is no reason for a man of his size to be eating 1600 (or 1800) and either gaining or not losing. Something is not right there, he's eating more than you think.
  • slaite1
    Options
    It's the same reason so many women think they are getting "bulky" when they start lifting. They swell from the working out, and are still overfat, so they think they are getting super muscular. Water can do funny things to your mind when you're watching your weight.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I wanted to say water retention. But then I read that this 6'3, 300lb man doesn't lose at 1800 calories per day.

But we don't know if he has stopped losing fat right? That's an unknown quantity. We know he has stopped losing weight which is something else altogether.

We do know that he was losing on that caloric intake with cardio (presumably low intensity) but also he has recently started a more intense form of exercise (lifting) which is more likely to prompt water / fluid retention.

• yopeeps025
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    I wanted to say water retention. But then I read that this 6'3, 300lb man doesn't lose at 1800 calories per day.

But we don't know if he has stopped losing fat right? That's an unknown quantity. We know he has stopped losing weight which is something else altogether.

We do know that he was losing on that caloric intake with cardio (presumably low intensity) but also he has recently started a more intense form of exercise (lifting) which is more likely to prompt water / fluid retention.

What I would add is I think OP started him calorie goal too low to start. We all know what happens as you keep losing weight. Especially with aggressive deficits.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

What I would add is I think OP started him calorie goal too low to start. We all know what happens as you keep losing weight. Especially with aggressive deficits.

Agree with this.
  • slaite1
    Options

Agreed on the calorie goal. OP did say he lost 30 pounds on 1800/day. Then he added more exercise-and reduced his calories to 1600. Regardless of what may be happening now-that is a recipe for disaster
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    I would imagine he's eating more than YOU think.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

I'm not so focused on him gaining since starting his strength training, more so that she said he wasn't losing on 1800 calories per day. If the logging was off when he was eating 1800 it's probably still off at 1600.
    I was thinking it might have been that idea that he was too low on calories but in the first few months when he was at 1800 he wasn't losing at all.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Agreed on the calorie goal. OP did say he lost 30 pounds on 1800/day. Then he added more exercise-and reduced his calories to 1600. Regardless of what may be happening now-that is a recipe for disaster

less calories + more calories burn= OP you might want to reconsider what you are doing to your love one.
  • msf74
    Options

Sure, and there's too many variables at play to make any confident predictions really (calories go down, cardio is dropped, weights are introduced and so on.)

I think an approach would be to go to a sensible baseline level of calories, keep exercise consistent for a month and then tweak depending on results.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

Let me just clarify. I had him at the 2000 calorie mark when all this started. He has lowered his calorie intake on his own thinking it will help. I find it easier to just support him rather than argue with him. I let him make his own mistakes to learn from. I teach him what I can. It's up to him to do with the information as he will. I log for him so that at least I know his logging is accurate. I video his workouts so that at least I know his form is good and he's not hurting himself. I bring to him ideas, he decides if he wants to try them out. I'm only trying to bring him new ideas taht I may not have thought of.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

How much fluid and for what period of time would you say is a reasonable estimate here?

This has been going on for a month. A 6'3", 300 pound, 25 year old (guess) male has a BMR of around 2700. We're talking about something like a 40% deficit from BMR, let alone TDEE. That's 8+ pounds in a month. And, after a month, he's retaining so much fluid that it not only offsets the 8+ pounds but makes his clothes fit tighter?

Yeah, it's not impossible. It's probably also not the most likely explanation.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip....

Just kidding, no tips for you. Good luck on your journey.
  • msf74
    Options
    I'm not so focused on him gaining since starting his strength training, more so that she said he wasn't losing on 1800 calories per day. If the logging was off when he was eating 1800 it's probably still off at 1600.

Sure, that's a fair point.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Let me just clarify. I had him at the 2000 calorie mark when all this started. He has lowered his calorie intake on his own thinking it will help. I find it easier to just support him rather than argue with him. I let him make his own mistakes to learn from. I teach him what I can. It's up to him to do with the information as he will. I log for him so that at least I know his logging is accurate. I video his workouts so that at least I know his form is good and he's not hurting himself. I bring to him ideas, he decides if he wants to try them out. I'm only trying to bring him new ideas taht I may not have thought of.

SMH.