auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    slaite1 wrote: »
    msf74 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I wanted to say water retention. But then I read that this 6'3, 300lb man doesn't lose at 1800 calories per day.

But we don't know if he has stopped losing fat right? That's an unknown quantity. We know he has stopped losing weight which is something else altogether.

We do know that he was losing on that caloric intake with cardio (presumably low intensity) but also he has recently started a more intense form of exercise (lifting) which is more likely to prompt water / fluid retention.

What I would add is I think OP started him calorie goal too low to start. We all know what happens as you keep losing weight. Especially with aggressive deficits.

Sure, and there's too many variables at play to make any confident predictions really (calories go down, cardio is dropped, weights are introduced and so on.)

I think an approach would be to go to a sensible baseline level of calories, keep exercise consistent for a month and then tweak depending on results.

Yup

Absolutely. So what's a good baseline. Should he bump back up to the 2000 and go from there or would that be too low for his size?

are you only seeing what you want to see?

2000 for a man who is 6 ft 3 and over 300lbs is not enough even if he wasn't working out.

My son albeit younger maintains on 4000-4500 depending on his daily work...as a welder.

he is 6 ft 3 and 21 but 240lbs...smh

give that man some food so he stops starving and eating behind your back.

My maintenance during the summer is more than 2k...and I am a 150lb female...

based on scooby with 1-3hours of light activty his BMR is 2627and TDEE is 2889...

^This. You were given the calculator because it is going to be more accurate than people guessing. Don't assume everything is an attack. Playing the victim in this thread isn't going to help your husband.

No one is attacking me. I'm not sure whre in my posts your getting that vibe. I'm not playing the victim either. Only asking for advise, from other people who may have experienced similar concerns, to help my stubborn husband beyond what I've learned in the two years I've been doing this. As I said perviously, I am not a guy so I don't know if things change differently with those genes.

Really?
    I wanted to say water retention. But then I read that this 6'3, 300lb man doesn't lose at 1800 calories per day.

But we don't know if he has stopped losing fat right? That's an unknown quantity. We know he has stopped losing weight which is something else altogether.

We do know that he was losing on that caloric intake with cardio (presumably low intensity) but also he has recently started a more intense form of exercise (lifting) which is more likely to prompt water / fluid retention.

What I would add is I think OP started him calorie goal too low to start. We all know what happens as you keep losing weight. Especially with aggressive deficits.

Sure, and there's too many variables at play to make any confident predictions really (calories go down, cardio is dropped, weights are introduced and so on.)

I think an approach would be to go to a sensible baseline level of calories, keep exercise consistent for a month and then tweak depending on results.

Yup

Absolutely. So what's a good baseline. Should he bump back up to the 2000 and go from there or would that be too low for his size?

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Yes, I deserved that. I should have known better than to ask for experience rather than the scooby workshop calculator.
    Oh and there's the judgement starting rather than the support. Yes, I'm fully aware of how the forums work here at MFP. I guess this thread has reached it's limit already. Feel free to close it now before it gets out of hand. Thank you all that gave advise.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

Yup

2000 for a man who is 6 ft 3 and over 300lbs is not enough even if he wasn't working out.

My son albeit younger maintains on 4000-4500 depending on his daily work...as a welder.

based on scooby with 1-3hours of light activty his BMR is 2627and TDEE is 2889...

^This. You were given the calculator because it is going to be more accurate than people guessing. Don't assume everything is an attack. Playing the victim in this thread isn't going to help your husband.

No one is attacking me. I'm not sure whre in my posts your getting that vibe. I'm not playing the victim either. Only asking for advise, from other people who may have experienced similar concerns, to help my stubborn husband beyond what I've learned in the two years I've been doing this. As I said perviously, I am not a guy so I don't know if things change differently with those genes.
    Honestly, on a sample size of one, as someone who was your husband's size and bigger and who lifted at that size, if the weight isn't pouring off of him at 1800, let alone 1600, he's eating stuff you don't know about or he has a medical condition. I don't mean that to be dismissive or snarky or insensitive to the effort you're making to help him help himself. It's just inconceivable to me that he'd be retaining enough fluid to more than offset the fat he should be losing.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Yup

SezxyStef has been one of my inspirations the last couple years. I've headed quite a bit if her advise form other threads for myself.

Okay then...my husband gets on the wagon and off the wagon and he can be stubborn...

He isn't overweight but getting "softer"...those are his words.

I let him do his thing....same with my son who is overweight.

I cook the food and let them get their own portions...they refuse to weigh so I don't force it. However my husband weighed out his smoothie today...I think it was more about taste tho.

If your husband wants to lose weight he has the tools you can't be that person who is his crutch.

Tell him the truth. 1600-1800 is too low. He needs to log his food himself so he can see what is going on with the calorie in part...the reality of it because as it stands now he will get frustrated and stop. If my husband or son asked me about nutrition I am honest with them...I don't *kitten* foot around as most know.

Helping with form is another thing. I do that with my husband he helps with mine.

Be his partner in fitness and health, he has to come to the food part himself learn how to weigh and get good at estimating portions so that he doesn't have to eventually.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Here's a tip....

Just kidding, no tips for you. Good luck on your journey.

Which is funny because when he and I had this converstaion last night I actually advised him to talk to you because I've always thought you gave really good advise when it comes to lifting. I guess I put you on an unwarranted high horse. Sorry about that.

Awe, that's sweet. Thanks so much.

Interestingly enough, my opinion about your advise doesn't change so here's my question to you, if I were to advise him to talk to you about his concerns, would you be a jerk to him too or would actually be helpful and supportive? I am a woman and his wife which, in his eyes, makes my advise arguable. I think he would have a much better and healthier journey with guys to look to for advise.

As long as he can hear me from way atop my high horse...then I would help him. To be frank, you are getting the right advice.

He needs to be eating more. I would probably be rolling at around 2500 for a while to see what happens if I were him. I would reevaluate in a few weeks to see where that got me. Since he has so much to lose, I think he can probably handle a larger deficit (hence the 2500) rather than something like 3000.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip....

Just kidding, no tips for you. Good luck on your journey.

Which is funny because when he and I had this converstaion last night I actually advised him to talk to you because I've always thought you gave really good advise when it comes to lifting. I guess I put you on an unwarranted high horse. Sorry about that.

Awe, that's sweet. Thanks so much.

Interestingly enough, my opinion about your advise doesn't change so here's my question to you, if I were to advise him to talk to you about his concerns, would you be a jerk to him too or would actually be helpful and supportive? I am a woman and his wife which, in his eyes, makes my advise arguable. I think he would have a much better and healthier journey with guys to look to for advise.

As long as he can hear me from way atop my high horse...then I would help him. To be frank, you are getting the right advice.

He needs to be eating more. I would probably be rolling at around 2500 for a while to see what happens if I were him. I would reevaluate in a few weeks to see where that got me. Since he has so much to lose, I think he can probably handle a larger deficit (hence the 2500) rather than something like 3000.

Thank you, I appreciate that.
  • madhatter2013
    Options

Yup

Really?

Yup

Yes, I deserved that. I should have known better than to ask for experience rather than the scooby workshop calculator.
    Oh and there's the judgement starting rather than the support. Yes, I'm fully aware of how the forums work here at MFP. I guess this thread has reached it's limit already. Feel free to close it now before it gets out of hand. Thank you all that gave advise.

You are assuming you get my tone when you read my replies. I'm sorry that you have the wrong impression. The only attacks I see that I'm getting are form you.
  • madhatter2013
    Options

Yup

SezxyStef has been one of my inspirations the last couple years. I've headed quite a bit if her advise form other threads for myself.

Okay then...my husband gets on the wagon and off the wagon and he can be stubborn...

He isn't overweight but getting "softer"...those are his words.

I let him do his thing....same with my son who is overweight.

I cook the food and let them get their own portions...they refuse to weigh so I don't force it. However my husband weighed out his smoothie today...I think it was more about taste tho.

If your husband wants to lose weight he has the tools you can't be that person who is his crutch.

Tell him the truth. 1600-1800 is too low. He needs to log his food himself so he can see what is going on with the calorie in part...the reality of it because as it stands now he will get frustrated and stop. If my husband or son asked me about nutrition I am honest with them...I don't *kitten* foot around as most know.

Helping with form is another thing. I do that with my husband he helps with mine.

Be his partner in fitness and health, he has to come to the food part himself learn how to weigh and get good at estimating portions so that he doesn't have to eventually.

Absolutely, thank you.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Yup

Really?

Yup

You are assuming you get my tone when you read my replies. I'm sorry that you have the wrong impression. The only attacks I see that I'm getting are form you.

She is not the only one who got that impression.
  • HuntRyan11
    HuntRyan11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just wish I was 6'3...... :D

Word. Don't we all?
  • madhatter2013
    Options

Yup

Honestly, on a sample size of one, as someone who was your husband's size and bigger and who lifted at that size, if the weight isn't pouring off of him at 1800, let alone 1600, he's eating stuff you don't know about or he has a medical condition. I don't mean that to be dismissive or snarky or insensitive to the effort you're making to help him help himself. It's just inconceivable to me that he'd be retaining enough fluid to more than offset the fat he should be losing.

And this makes absolute sense also. I would hope that he wouldn't be lying to me about what he eats when I'm not there, but it's entirely possible. I know he's not honest with himself so I can't expect more than that with me. I can promise it's not medical. We both went to our doctor a month or so ago to "checked out" just to make sure there weren't any medical problems that would prohibit our efforts.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    If he is new to lifting then he may have newbie gains + water retention, which is making the scale go up.

However, I agree with other that to gain ten pounds on 1600 a day there must be something else going on, which would either be a medical condition or he is eating more than you think or it is combination of newbie gains + water retention + eating more than you think.

He may want to take a diet break and eat at maintenance for a month and then slowly cut back down to a one pound per week loss (whatever that number is)
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    What kinds of foods do you allow him to eat? How are his macros? I know adding more protein to my diet has been the key to my weigh loss. Otherwise I agree with the others who suggest he is eating more than you know.

It also might be the micromanagement isn't working for him? Not judging... just saying...
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    If he is new to lifting then he may have newbie gains + water retention, which is making the scale go up.

However, I agree with other that to gain ten pounds on 1600 a day there must be something else going on, which would either be a medical condition or he is eating more than you think or it is combination of newbie gains + water retention + eating more than you think.

He may want to take a diet break and eat at maintenance for a month and then slowly cut back down to a one pound per week loss (whatever that number is)

What about a reverse diet?

• madhatter2013
    Options
    What kinds of foods do you allow him to eat? How are his macros? I know adding more protein to my diet has been the key to my weigh loss. Otherwise I agree with the others who suggest he is eating more than you know.

It also might be the micromanagement isn't working for him? Not judging... just saying...

Oh he eats whatever he wants. The only thing I do is make sure whatever he eats is weighed and logged accurately before he eats it. I don't tell him what to eat or how much of it he can have. For example, he'll grab a bag of chips and pour what he wants onto a plate. I then weigh that portion and log it into his MFP journal. The amount of calories he eats during any given day is his choice, not what I "allow". I know people are talking about how much I "allow" him to have but that's not the case at all. I just make that what he has is accurately accounted for. I trust that he tells me everything he puts in his mouth but, unfortunately, that may not be that case. :-(
  • yopeeps025
    Options

Oh he eats whatever he wants. The only thing I do is make sure whatever he eats is weighed and logged accurately before he eats it. I don't tell him what to eat or how much of it he can have. For example, he'll grab a bag of chips and pour what he wants onto a plate. I then weigh that portion and log it into his MFP journal. The amount of calories he eats during any given day is his choice, not what I "allow". I know people are talking about how much I "allow" him to have but that's not the case at all. I just make that what he has is accurately accounted for. I trust that he tells me everything he puts in his mouth but, unfortunately, that may not be that case. :-(

"Kids don't tell your mother what I am eating."
  • madhatter2013
    Options

"Kids don't tell your mother what I am eating."

LOL Oh no, my kids will rat on anyone. Their a bunch of narks. They're like tape recorders on feet.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I'm 6'3" with some pretty severe health issues and would be a basket case at those numbers weighing in at 219lbs.

He is eating more if he is gaining.
  • themunchkinmaker
    themunchkinmaker Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Half the time I'm not even completely honest with myself about what I've been eating. :wink:
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

that is what I was suggesting...

reverse diet to maintenance, stay there a month, and then go back to deficit...

• yopeeps025
    Options

that is what I was suggesting...

reverse diet to maintenance, stay there a month, and then go back to deficit...

Nevermind I had a different meaning for reverse diet.