Options

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    People just love dirtying a thousand measuring cups a day. I don't get it...

Lol. Measure a half cup of milk, rinse measuring cup under hot water, set in dish drainer, ten seconds and done. :)

I'm sure that works fine for items that aren't oily or greasy.

So... add two drops of dish detergent and hot water, swish dish cloth through the measuring cup, rinse, and drain....... that's what I do when measuring oily or greasy liquids.

Right. I know how to wash dishes. That's the point. Washing one dish a million times is the same as washing a million dishes one time. Why bother, is what I'm saying.

Really? So your goals of losing weight are not worth it to you? You aren't washing one dish a million times, seriously. Foolish exaggerations to make excuses not to do something that really is an easy way to help you achieve your goals. That's like saying I won't put wash my clothes when i wear them because they're *sigh* just going to get dirty again.
    Life is full of little chores, and we all just get used to doing them. If you are serious about achieving things, you do the work.

You're taking things to literally. Calm. Down. The conversation is about using scales vs. measuring cups and spoons to measure solid foods, when it's not an accurate way to do it, and, in my opinion, creates more unnecessary work when you can know EXACTLY what you're getting, rather than an estimate, by only using the dish you intend to eat out of or cook in by using a scale. Stop taking things out of context, and no, I don't have to be lazy to not want to wash extra dishes while wasting water and soap, and it doesn't hurt my goals or anyone else's ONE BIT, but rather helps achieve them in the simplest possible way.

I'd still disagree. I use a myriad of extra dishes on my food scale, which is where I thought you were going with this (I apologize on that note). I weigh so many things separately before cooking them together, and also weigh things up for my hubs for his work lunches, so I end up using a lot of extra cups and plates.

When I'm cooking I'll usually use one bowl. I chop ingredient, tare the bowl, then weigh. Multiple ingredients for one step? Just tare again and add the next ingredient. Otherwise just put the ingredient into the pot and ready to reuse bowl for next ingredient. Unless you need to do a mise en place but you would be using multiple bowls and plates anyways.

If you use tare feature properly weighing is much simpler and more accurate than using measuring spoons.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    People just love dirtying a thousand measuring cups a day. I don't get it...

Lol. Measure a half cup of milk, rinse measuring cup under hot water, set in dish drainer, ten seconds and done. :)

I'm sure that works fine for items that aren't oily or greasy.

So... add two drops of dish detergent and hot water, swish dish cloth through the measuring cup, rinse, and drain....... that's what I do when measuring oily or greasy liquids.

Right. I know how to wash dishes. That's the point. Washing one dish a million times is the same as washing a million dishes one time. Why bother, is what I'm saying.

Really? So your goals of losing weight are not worth it to you? You aren't washing one dish a million times, seriously. Foolish exaggerations to make excuses not to do something that really is an easy way to help you achieve your goals. That's like saying I won't put wash my clothes when i wear them because they're *sigh* just going to get dirty again.
    Life is full of little chores, and we all just get used to doing them. If you are serious about achieving things, you do the work.

You're taking things to literally. Calm. Down. The conversation is about using scales vs. measuring cups and spoons to measure solid foods, when it's not an accurate way to do it, and, in my opinion, creates more unnecessary work when you can know EXACTLY what you're getting, rather than an estimate, by only using the dish you intend to eat out of or cook in by using a scale. Stop taking things out of context, and no, I don't have to be lazy to not want to wash extra dishes while wasting water and soap, and it doesn't hurt my goals or anyone else's ONE BIT, but rather helps achieve them in the simplest possible way.

I'd still disagree. I use a myriad of extra dishes on my food scale, which is where I thought you were going with this (I apologize on that note). I weigh so many things separately before cooking them together, and also weigh things up for my hubs for his work lunches, so I end up using a lot of extra cups and plates.

When I'm cooking I'll usually use one bowl. I chop ingredient, tare the bowl, then weigh. Multiple ingredients for one step? Just tare again and add the next ingredient. Otherwise just put the ingredient into the pot and ready to reuse bowl for next ingredient. Unless you need to do a mise en place but you would be using multiple bowls and plates anyways.

If you use tare feature properly weighing is much simpler and more accurate than using measuring spoons.

I do tare and use the same bowl for multiple ingredients that are alike, like veggies and such, but for things like raw meat, I keep them separate for safety. Also I keep oils and the like separate. (I have a ml function on my scale for weighing liquids)
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Bearbo27 wrote: »
    I personally don't understand how some get by without a scale... <snip>

You log honestly and consistently to the best of your ability and adjust your eating up or down depending on your results. It also helps to include behavioral changes (that are unpopular on MFP) like less snacking, no desserts or more activity. People have been dieting successfully for thousands of years without a food scale, MFP, FitBits and the like -- they can be helpful but it's not the only way. Or even the best way for everyone.

yes, except the majority of those people ultimately lapse back into eating the snacks, the desserts, etc. People don't like giving up foods. Eating in moderation, enjoying foods you actually like, is much easier to do, and taking 60 seconds to weigh the food before eating it is not a hassle. Ultimately, developing a lifelong habit of weighing foods and logging them, and maintaining a healthy weight, is much more satisfying than a short term of deprivation, hitting goal weight, and then sliding back into eating 'forbidden' foods and regaining weight.

people lived for thousands of years without medical advancements, too, but live longer and happier with them. Technological advancements like food scales- same thing.

Unfortunately the majority of people will lapse whether they use a scale or not.

Oh, but if you read my entire post, I said the people who lapse are those who deprive themselves of foods. Those who are successful in long-term are those who learn to eat in moderation, by eating all the foods they like in smaller portions. The scale is just one tool to use while learning to do that.

I'd bet that just as many people regain because of some change in lifestyle than because of deprivation during dieting. You have a child, change jobs, get married, have a change in income, move, greive, etc. These changes in lifesyle are very often the trigger for weight regain.

At least this has always been the case with me. Whenever I have a change in lifestyle I gain a little weight. Then I have to diet and find a new routine for keeping it off.

yup! been 110-116 my entire life... i STOPPED working and gained weight. winter time i always gain!. life always changes
  • mccindy72
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

You log honestly and consistently to the best of your ability and adjust your eating up or down depending on your results. It also helps to include behavioral changes (that are unpopular on MFP) like less snacking, no desserts or more activity. People have been dieting successfully for thousands of years without a food scale, MFP, FitBits and the like -- they can be helpful but it's not the only way. Or even the best way for everyone.

yes, except the majority of those people ultimately lapse back into eating the snacks, the desserts, etc. People don't like giving up foods. Eating in moderation, enjoying foods you actually like, is much easier to do, and taking 60 seconds to weigh the food before eating it is not a hassle. Ultimately, developing a lifelong habit of weighing foods and logging them, and maintaining a healthy weight, is much more satisfying than a short term of deprivation, hitting goal weight, and then sliding back into eating 'forbidden' foods and regaining weight.

people lived for thousands of years without medical advancements, too, but live longer and happier with them. Technological advancements like food scales- same thing.

Unfortunately the majority of people will lapse whether they use a scale or not.

Oh, but if you read my entire post, I said the people who lapse are those who deprive themselves of foods. Those who are successful in long-term are those who learn to eat in moderation, by eating all the foods they like in smaller portions. The scale is just one tool to use while learning to do that.

I'd bet that just as many people regain because of some change in lifestyle than because of deprivation during dieting. You have a child, change jobs, get married, have a change in income, move, greive, etc. These changes in lifesyle are very often the trigger for weight regain.

At least this has always been the case with me. Whenever I have a change in lifestyle I gain a little weight. Then I have to diet and find a new routine for keeping it off.

yup! been 110-116 my entire life... i STOPPED working and gained weight. winter time i always gain!. life always changes

Because you are less active and your calorie needs are less... and you aren't adusting your intake... plus people tend to eat more in winter, if they aren't tracking calorie intake. this is simple logic, everyone.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I find that it is much more important to weigh foods high in fat and calories very precisely...vegetables, slices of bread and even some fruit, not as much. In that video someone posted, look at the foods they were comparing; pancakes with butter and syrup, peanut butter sandwich, salad dressing, chips, granola, pumpkin pie. All very high calorie foods to begin with. So sure, small increases of those foods are going to result in a lot more calories. But if I forget to weigh an apple or peach or banana before eating it, I just log it as "one large apple" and move on. The calorie difference is not that great. With other fruit, like grapes or cherries, I am more careful about weighing because it's easier to eat too much. My point is that you don't have to weigh every scrap of everything at all times, unless you want/need to be that precise. Some people do. But if you are rushed or stressed and feel you don't have time to weigh, just weigh the high-fat, high calorie stuff and estimate the rest.
  • fishshark
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »

Because you are less active and your calorie needs are less... and you aren't adusting your intake... plus people tend to eat more in winter, if they aren't tracking calorie intake. this is simple logic, everyone.

yes but I didn't realize that working an 8 hour job on my feet made that much of a difference in my caloric intake. I have never really worked out so i assumed it wouldn't make a difference. I was easily getting 15k+ steps a day so it does make a difference. just didn't know it.
  • fishshark
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    I find that it is much more important to weigh foods high in fat and calories very precisely...vegetables, slices of bread and even some fruit, not as much. In that video someone posted, look at the foods they were comparing; pancakes with butter and syrup, peanut butter sandwich, salad dressing, chips, granola, pumpkin pie. All very high calorie foods to begin with. So sure, small increases of those foods are going to result in a lot more calories. But if I forget to weigh an apple or peach or banana before eating it, I just log it as "one large apple" and move on. The calorie difference is not that great. With other fruit, like grapes or cherries, I am more careful about weighing because it's easier to eat too much. My point is that you don't have to weigh every scrap of everything at all times, unless you want/need to be that precise. Some people do. But if you are rushed or stressed and feel you don't have time to weigh, just weigh the high-fat, high calorie stuff and estimate the rest.

yes to all this!
  • mccindy72
    Options

have you calculated the difference between two different bananas or apples? Be careful when giving out this kind of advice. someone trying to lose weight needs to be precise when weighing these things. there can be a 50 calorie difference between two apples and/or bananas. Add that up over the course of a day or a week and a lot of calories are unaccounted for.
  • gonettie2015
    gonettie2015 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    JudithNYC wrote: »
    I am one of the non-weighers/measurers BUT 1. I am very accurate eyeballing food portions... and 2. I am getting weight loss results.

You can be sure that if I weren't getting results I would not be wondering why....

same here!

• whmscll
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yes, in fact I have calculated the difference. Never anywhere close to a 50 calorie difference for an apple or banana. Peanut butter....completely different story. And, AS I SAID some people do need to be that precise. I also did not say never weigh precisely. I said if you are rushed or stressed and don't have time to weigh everything focus on the high fat and high calorie foods.
  • fishshark
    Options
    Yes, in fact I have calculated the difference. Never anywhere close to a 50 calorie difference for an apple or banana. Peanut butter....completely different story. And, AS I SAID some people do need to be that precise. I also did not say never weigh precisely. I said if you are rushed or stressed and don't have time to weigh everything focus on the high fat and high calorie foods.

on the days i have heavy school load/and or lazy my fitbit says i burn about 1400... so to get a 200 deficit i HAVE to weigh.. some people may not have to be that diligent but i have so little itty bitty wiggle room.
  • whmscll
    Options
    Yes, there are many people who definitely need to be diligent weighing and measuring everything, I do agree.
  • fishshark
    Options
    Yes, there are many people who definitely need to be diligent weighing and measuring everything, I do agree.

i also agree with you though.. i trust the slice of bread.. apples stuff like it. the beauty of life is everyone finds what works for them. I made this post though, for the people who don't lose and ignore the suggestion of weighing... which is a lot of people! I used to be one of them!
  • MondayJune22nd2015
    MondayJune22nd2015 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    y6n801yrc752.jpg

I love that my scale, has a removable cover. Does anyone take theirs when they go out to eat, if the place has nutritional information? The only problem that I have is that because some places/foods don't have nutritional information, it doesn't matter if the scale can inform me of how many grams there're; if I still have to guesstimate Calories, etc. So I try to avoid consuming, whatever foods that I can't entirely accurately measure.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Thanks to my digital Scale I can now "eyeball" a perfect tbsp of butter (14g). I know, cuz I weigh it to test my accuracy. It's like a game

I do this too! LOL
  • colls0325
    colls0325 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If someone is able to lose without weighing, then great! If you are counting calories, but not losing, then weighing will definitely help!! In my 20s and 30s, I could always maintain or lose that 10 extra pounds by counting. Now, I am older and after menopause, and I couldn't lose by counting...I needed to weigh everything. And, after buying a scale, I realized I was under estimating about 10 - 20% - and sometimes that is make or break depending on your calorie needs.
  • kitkatkarr
    kitkatkarr Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I was able to lose 10 pounds without using a scale. A year later, I'm using a scale, its kinda fun, I feel like a scientist hehe
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    The scale is EVERYTHING. If you can lose without it, that's more than fine, but many people can't. Time after time threads are posted here "I can't lose weight!", "Hit a plateau but I'm only eating 1000 calories a day!", "Can't understand why I'm not losing weight on 1200 calories per day!" and usually the culprit is that the poster in question is underestimating how much they eat and/or overestimating how much they burn. Yes, even 50 calories make a difference in a deficit. A deficit is just that; a deficit. You're not going to lose any weight if you're not eating at a deficit. End of story.

It honestly does not take too much time to weigh things on a scale. Anyone who claims such is honestly making a poor excuse for not using one. Yes, I even use it for recipes. I just baked cupcakes and muffins this morning and it took me less than five minutes to weigh out my ingredients and get a decent approximation for the calorie count of what I was making. I've made chili as well and it takes the same amount of time to weigh things. You can't always trust packages. If something has 174 calories, companies can round that down to 170. They often do so because humans like seeing numbers that end in 0 or 5. How many of you need the volume on your TV to either be even or end in five? :p

The other day I weighed my Quest bar which is supposed to be 60 grams; it was 68 grams which was a difference of about 30 calories. Things like that add up, especially when you have less weight to lose or don't realize how much you actually eat. The food scale also teaches you better portion control. It's only a $5-$25 investment. People will spend $100 on a "detox" or some get thin quick solution, but they're hesitant to shell out 75-95% less money on a food scale for accuracy and to be accountable for their food. They don't want to hear that they eat too much. They want to hear it's their thyroid, the sugar, the carbs, their age, anything but eating less food in general. Weight loss really is easier than people make it out to be overall.
  • marykate_1203
    marykate_1203 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Scales don't tell you what clothes fit...
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Scales don't tell you what clothes fit...

What does that have to do with buying a food scale to weigh food? This thread is about food scales.