Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    vintem wrote: »
    cbrook29 wrote: »
    Yeah MFP has me at a lot higher sugar. Fruit has fiber (typically) and other vitamins and is processed by the body differently than say High Frutose Corn Syrup. The body metabolizes these different sugars differently. Of course anything in abundance is bad. Fiber delays the delivery of Frutose to the liver. This is why I stopped drinking juice. The juice alone doesn't have the fiber. I think processed foods with sugar like Cola are far worse for you, simply keep eating fruit - just in moderation.

According to this post, all sugars are processed the same
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10197460/sugar-faq-june-2015/p1
    I didn't read it, but a lot of people think that all sugars are digested in exactly the same way. They say it all the time. They don't understand the digestive system at all. Of course different sugars are digested differently. Because they're different, lol.
    They have different components and will, of course, be broken down differently.

Digestion really doesn't make a ton of difference. The effect on your weight isn't about how it's digested. It's about how much sugar you take in. It's about the calories.

When you're losing weight, you want all the nutrition you can get for as few calories as you can. Keeps you healthy, let's you stay full. So, it makes some sense to take your sugar from fruit, which gives you nutrients you need.

If you don't want to eat any sugar, that's your choice and I won't argue it. Everyone has to do what works for them.

But you can eat your fruit if you want to. For an otherwise healthy person, fruit won't hurt.

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

just because you want to believe that does not make it so.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I have a 45g/day limit on sugar. I eat most of my sugar from fruits and/or non fat greek yogurt.
    Almost everyday I pass the sugar limit, eating 3 fruits a day and one yogurt.

Is that really bad? Aren't sugars from fruits a good thing?

OP - unless you have a medical condition there is no reason to avoid sugar.

Just make sure that you maintain your deficit, hit macros, and micros, and you will be fine.
  • RaggedyAnnazon
    RaggedyAnnazon Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    As far as sugar in fruit go, I've never had negative effects from eating sugar through fruit. In fact, a good portion of the weight I lost the first time came from downing fruit like it was going out of style. I went from diabetic to nondiabetic while not worrying about my sugar limit when it came to obtaining it naturally.

Most sugars you want to stay away from are the processed cane sugar and added sugar in foods and such, like flavored yogurt vs nonfat greek. I still use honey when I'm sick and agave for my tea and stevia for my coffee and that doesn't seem to change much, but I limit those greatly when I use them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Where'd that 21 g come from? MFP gives me 77. If it came from your doctor, discuss with him/her.

You're right the limit is not 21, it's 45... but I pass it everyday...

Not sure why your limit is so much smaller than mine, but letting it go.

It's 15% of calories.

It's 45 grams for people on 1200.

As for why a young guy like OP seems to be is on 1200, beats me.

@vintem - how tall are you and how much do you weigh? 1200 calories is under the minimum recommendation for males.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have a 45g/day limit on sugar. I eat most of my sugar from fruits and/or non fat greek yogurt.

fruits are good for you...they are packed with fiber, antioxidants, and all kinds of micro-nutrients...but sugar is sugar.

that said, the recommendation for sugar on MFP is for added sugars and I believe it comes from the WHO...to my knowledge there is no DRA for sugar.

Really, if you don't have a medical condition that warrants tracking your sugar and you don't have a "problem" with sugar...as in you eat *kitten* loads of it, I really wouldn't worry about it.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Hoping this does not get lost in the sugar debate debacle, so I'm bolding this...

You're likely not eating enough. A 45 gram limit on sugar comes along with a 1200 calorie goal. That's for very short small and/or older women.

The minimum amount for men to consume is 1500 calories a day.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Didn't realize I was judging, sorry.

I didn't feel judged.

16 ounces was my previous serving size of ice cream, so in that context, 4 ounces is not a lot. Also, I'm a lot bigger than you so get a lot more calories than you do. On ice cream days, I've usually been swimming and gardening as well.

You'd likely have better results tracking in grams than ounces. Grams are much more precise. Your 4 ounce containers of ice cream might have more or less calories than stated on the label. They should have a corresponding gram weight listed. It might be helpful to scoop them out of the container and put them into a bowl.

I started weighing prepackaged food on a whim, and boy was it a revelation!

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

that said, the recommendation for sugar on MFP is for added sugars.

Not for 18 months it isn't - it is total sugars from all sources.

The WHO "free sugars" number would be about half MFP's number.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Yeah MFP has me at a lot higher sugar. Fruit has fiber (typically) and other vitamins and is processed by the body differently than say High Frutose Corn Syrup. The body metabolizes these different sugars differently. Of course anything in abundance is bad. Fiber delays the delivery of Frutose to the liver. This is why I stopped drinking juice. The juice alone doesn't have the fiber. I think processed foods with sugar like Cola are far worse for you, simply keep eating fruit - just in moderation.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10197460/sugar-faq-june-2015/p1
    I didn't read it, but a lot of people think that all sugars are digested in exactly the same way. They say it all the time. They don't understand the digestive system at all. Of course different sugars are digested differently. Because they're different, lol.

Digestion really doesn't make a ton of difference. The effect on your weight isn't about how it's digested. It's about how much sugar you take in. It's about the calories.

When you're losing weight, you want all the nutrition you can get for as few calories as you can. Keeps you healthy, let's you stay full. So, it makes some sense to take your sugar from fruit, which gives you nutrients you need.

If you don't want to eat any sugar, that's your choice and I won't argue it. Everyone has to do what works for them.

But you can eat your fruit if you want to. For an otherwise healthy person, fruit won't hurt.

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

I suspect that we have studied different things. Why don't you educate me? Compare the digestion of milk, peaches and cake frosting in detail. Don't single out just sugars, but do make sure to explain how all the sugars are identical and broken down in the same way.

I do love it when you educate us all.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

The minimum amount for men to consume is 1500 calories a day.

Where ?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

that said, the recommendation for sugar on MFP is for added sugars.

Not for 18 months it isn't - it is total sugars from all sources.

The WHO "free sugars" number would be about half MFP's number.

hmm...i didn't know they changed it...guess that's what happens when you don't log
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

I suspect that we have studied different things. Why don't you educate me? Compare the digestion of milk, peaches and cake frosting in detail. Don't single out just sugars, but do make sure to explain how all the sugars are identical and broken down in the same way.

So you start with a diatribe about the digestion of sugars in a vacuum, then when countered on your point change your position and now want a lesson on the digestion of complex foods. This encapsulates what makes having an informed, intelligent conversation with you an impossibility.

Glucose is processed the same by the body no matter where it comes from. Fructose is processed the same by the body no matter where it comes from. Sucrose is processed the same by the body no matter where it comes from. Dextrose is processed the same by the body no matter where it comes from. By now, you should notice a trend.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

Way to move the goal posts there.

Why do you do this?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

So you start with a diatribe about the digestion of sugars in a vacuum, then when countered on your point change your position and now want a lesson on the digestion of complex foods. This encapsulates what makes having an informed, intelligent conversation with you an impossibility.

Glucose is processed the same by the body no matter where it comes from. Fructose is processed the same by the body no matter where it comes from. Sucrose is processed the same by the body no matter where it comes from. Dextrose is processed the same by the body no matter where it comes from. By now, you should notice a trend.

I suspect that he will now think that different sugars might be different.

It wasn't a diatribe. I just know that people are forever saying that all sugars are identical and processed in exactly the same way. I admit that it's said. I don't generally say, "Well, no, different sugars are actually different" because it doesn't matter. But on the flip side, I cannot agree that they're all identical when they aren't.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

It wasn't a diatribe. I just know that people are forever saying that all sugars are identical and processed in exactly the same way. I admit that it's said. I don't generally say, "Well, no, different sugars are actually different" because it doesn't matter. But on the flip side, I cannot agree that they're all identical when they aren't.

How is it that you can type so many words but make absolutely no sense?

Teach me your ways.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    The difference in how varied sugars get processed, in a vacuum, is minute. Your requesting a lesson that had nothing to do with sugars in a vacuum, your original diatribe, was a typical of you ... featuring your usual moving goalposts.
  • ndj1979
    Options

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

Why are you moving the goalposts?

And flame baiting is against TOS...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

Do you disagree with this: "All carbohydrates, whether sugars or starches, are digested in the intestine to form glucose, which is transported around the body via the blood and taken into cells to be converted into energy"?

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

yea, no.

sugar = sugar

sorry..

I suspect that you are now tired from back pedaling. The only time different sugars are different is if the body has an intolerance, which doesn't happen often. Regardless of the source, once your body receives a sugar, it processes it exactly the same way, which is what has been said repeatedly, and which is when you usually jump in and have some argument to the contrary.
This discussion has been closed.